No oil pressure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently put a non-USA distributor in my 73 FJ40. It ran great and had good oil pressure for several days, then one day when I started it up there was no pressure on the guage. I spent today trying to figure it out, but no luck. I pulled the distributor and tried several times to get it seated further in the housing to try to make sure it was seated correctly. I measured the old distributor and it had a little longer shaft. When this did not work, I rigged up a screw driver on a drill to see if that would show pressure. With the key on there was no pressure with the drill. I then took the oil pressure regulator apart to see if anything looked strange. Honetly I am not sure if it is fine or not. The spring seemed fine, but the adjustment screw goes in most of the way without any pressure. My book does not give any measurements for me to tell how far it should go in before the spring pushes back. Any advice? What do you think the chances are of the oil pump failing like this? Is it more likely something with the guage? Is there anything else I can check to track this down?

73Goat said:
Any advice?

Make sure that the gauge isn't lying to you first before you go to all the trouble. momentarily ground the sender wire and see if the meter deflects.

When you had the drill in the slot, the ignition was in the ON position I hope. Did you check the wire to the oil sender for damage and make sure it was properly setaed. If so, sounds like either your sender or your gauge. Pin_heads advice on the sender should tell you. You could also put a meter on the oil sender

Yeh, my gauge did the same thing, it got a little dirt between the prong on the sender and the wire, and it showed no oil pressure. I cleaned it up, and it worked.

Ditto on the loose wire. The first time mine fell off I was four wheeling in the middle of the pines and I almost had a heart attack. Also you might want to take the valve cover off and see if it is pushing oil on the rockers.

Real quick GO-NO GO test: unscrew the sender and crank the motor. If oil come shooting out the sender hole, you know it's a guage-sender-electrical issue. No oil = mechanical issue. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom