No more frame oiling allowed in NH? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
My buddy John called me yesterday to complain, he'd been to 3 different shops with his 2012 Tacoma trying to get a sticker, and nobody will even look at it, as it's been "oiled", which they now claim is illegal in NH. The last one told him it all needs to be pressure washed off in order to pass inspection. Anybody heard of such a thing? The only thing we can think is that they need to be able to check for leaks, but the oiling hides it.

John is the guy I bought my '87 from back in 2002, and I can attest that his faithful oiling is what kept the frame pristine for all these years. He always used plain ol' 90W gear oil. My truck is mostly back together now, and I gave it a healthy coat of Fluid Film, which is supposed to eventually "cure" to a waxy waterproof coating. I hope I don't have the same problem...

I am sure you will be fine. Fluid film is non toxic. They can't expect ppl not to fight rust in some way. That would be foolish. It also has antistatic property's so all the sand doesn't stick. I use CorrosionX HD and it works great. No sand coated mess like oil.
I don't live in NH so I might be way off. CT. checks nothing except emissions.

I'm sure getting my sticker when I finally get this thing back roadworthy will be a huge hassle, thanks to the SAS. I'm gonna get Antique plates, although I'm not sure if that will gain me any leniency. I know that since it's pre-OBD2 they don't check any emissions, the last time they didn't even open the hood. But they did try to fail me because of the t-case e-brake, and a very small leak on one of my Bilstein shocks.

It's getting very difficult to keep older vehicles on the road now, it's like they want you to buy new no matter the condition. John bought my old '92 4Runner from me back in 2000, he had a lot of trouble getting it stickered a couple of years ago even though it was still factory stock and in extremely good condition. Two places told him "it's too old, we don't go back that far due to liability, go somewhere else".

You're going to the wrong place Ken!
There has to be a little 4x4 friendly place out your way.

X2 Remy. The rust issue has gotten much worse here in CT. sinse they started with that spray. Have to go to the underbody car wash every couple weeks.

I sold my mom my old 99 runner about 4 yrs back. The truck was MINT MINT. no rust underneath or body. Well my mom doesnt use the underbody wash or any for that matter in the winter. Now it has a soft ball size hole in frame, hole right throught the rear diff (leaking diff oil), NO rear bumper left, and overall a science project underneath. Rant over ...I8RUST

You're going to the wrong place Ken!
There has to be a little 4x4 friendly place out your way.

The last time I had my truck inspected ('09) it was at a place in Madbury recommended by a YT member. That guy gave me a huge hassle about everything, especially the SAS, but when I showed him the rules and that I was meeting them, he eventually passed it. He almost flunked me for the "leaking shock" (it was just a little damp by the seal), but I promised to get it changed as they have a lifetime guarantee and I still have the receipt. Then the Bilstein website says "minor leakage is normal", so I carry a copy of that printout with me now.

The guy that does my cars (CarWorks in Lee) flat out refuses to do anything that is customized, lifted, lowered, etc. He says inspections barely pay for themselves, so he doesn't want the liability. He's a super nice guy, honest, but he tells me he hates doing cars like mine that need nothing, he can't make any money off me.

I do have another place in mind that one of my students told me about, I hope it works. I really don't mind someone going over it with a careful eye, but know the rules, the intent, interpret them properly, don't just flunk it "because it's modified". I have no intention of driving an unsafe vehicle. My truck is actually SAFER now than when it left the factory, especially in the brakes and suspension.

Last edited:
I know that but it's in the liquid form and every municipality seems to smell bad weather and they are putting it out if the temps drop, it tears the equipment up worse than the regular salt

I have used Sears in Newington for years with a low lifted truck and never had an issue. The fee is expensive but never had any b.s. with them.

Also have used VIP in Portsmouth on a 85 solid axle lifted xcab few years ago. They gave me crap for rust on the bed. Cut the bed off and bobed the fame. Replaced the bed with wood and attached lights and was given the sticker.

FWIW:
I lived in NH not too long ago, and all the farmers were switching to lindseed oil.
You can get it pretty cheap bulk, and it's enviro-safe, and sets up semi-well.

The reason the calcium spray (CaCl2) rusts so abundantly, is that it is Ca++ vs. Na+ (Sodium). (e.g. CaCl2 vs NaCl)

If you guys go to/or are from Colorado, I'm pretty sure they use MgCl2, and since magnesium is higher on the periodic table than Calcium, it is more reactive. Thus = more Fe --> Fe02 (Rust)

So you can be grateful they don't have the MgCl2 there yet!

((Here's an idea, on bridge/ship frames they use a zinc block to donate electrons through the frame instead of the electrons being donated from the surrounding steel. (The zinc block degrades and not your rig.)

Nevermind... I just researched it and it seems there needs to be something to complete the circuit, I doubt the salt water from on the road flung up onto the frame would suffice.))

Last edited:
Oh and heads up; VIP will almost always try find something else you don't need that they "think" is "bad". It is so prevalent that it must be company policy! :hmm:

Most shadetree garages in the country probably wouldn't look twice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom