No heat while not moving. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey gurus. So, I'm living in Kodiak Alaska and winter is quickly approaching. I have noticed in the last few weeks that when I start my car to heat everything I won't get heat until I'm actually driving/moving the car. Today I noticed that as soon as a came to a full stop and put the vehicle into park the air went from hot to cool almost instantly. What would cause this? Thermostat, water pump, heater core? I've looked in the FSM. No joy

have you checked the coolant level....has the thermostat and related gaskets ever been changed?...

Yep first thing I would check is coolant level

The fluid level looks good. To my knowledge nothing has been taken apart on the rig. It's a bone stock 97 w 171k. Granted the PO did almost no preventative maintenance but this is my first winter/cold weather in this truck. I need to go through the engine a bit more thoroughly. Just after buying the truck I left the coast of NC drove across country and did the AlCan highway with zero issues. It's really in great condition but want to give it some TLC.

If coolant level is good check the flow. May be a restricted heater core or erroded water pump blades. Check the belt tension too.

Air in the system. Purge air with front up and running. Look up threads about it.

So, I have a few things that needs to be done. It's got 170kish miles so I'm going to replace tstat, coolant, fuel filter,just bc I'm opening things, belts. Also has anyone used Evans cooling fluids?

You can also check the diverter valve on firewall. Maybe its stuck half open .

If you check all of the above, and seems like you should, and considering the PO wasn't doing much PM, it looks like you're set for a major cooling system overhaul instead of dealing with one issue at the time (you'll find excellent threads in the forum).
With over 170K is about time...not to mention dealing/replacing the PHH.
Good luck

Cheers

Lots of good information in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) link above. Including a list of Cruiser and forum acronyms. Among them you'll find a "PHH" is a pesky heater hose. Not in an easy spot, and too short to be easily replaced. Everyone seems to agree that replacing a PHH out on a trail would be a "no joy" situation.

Thank you. I can't navigate the app as well as the full site. Ih8mud is a lifesaver.

It's normal, needle is sitting level at the 3 o'clock

Is the blower actually blowing? My 93 makes heat, but with no force because the blower isn't working. So sitting still or parked, it puts out almost nothing. While moving, and the air set on outside instead of max, it forces hot air through and out the chosen vents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom