Nitto Ridge Grappler vs Toyo Open Country AT3 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I still have a set of 275/70/18 Ridge Grapplers for sale. They are a year old and have a good 50k miles of tread left.

The only spot I see slight rubbing is on the Driver's side as shown below. The passenger side seems fine. I'm not sure if 0.75" to 1" spacers would correct this. Or, if at some point I add a 1-2" lift if that would help. Stock Suspension.

rubbing.jpg

I just crossed 60k on my RGs. Probably have 6-8k left. And they are still ultra quiet. Couldn’t be happier.

I call BS, or you are hard of hearing. RGs hum. Very noticeable at ~40mph. Even at highway speeds (70mph+) depending on road surface.

KO2 are ultra quiet. It's not even close comparison. I have two 200s, one on KO2, one RG, and drive them back to back. Same size/load (285/70/17E).

Last edited:
I call BS, or you are hard of hearing. RGs hum. Very noticeable at ~40mph. Even at highway speeds (70mph+) depending on road surface.

KO2 are ultra quiet. It's not even close comparison. I have two 200s, one on KO2, one RG, and drive them back to back. Same size/load (285/70/17).
Congrats?

I ran KO2 on this truck prior to moving to RG. They were quiet at first but by 30k miles were unbearably loud.

And Why would i intentionally lie about my experience with the RGs? You think maybe I’m some kind of secret Nitto operative here to spread misinformation in the hopes we sell a few more tires? Cmon man relax.

I agree, no freaking way the RG are ultra quiet. Heck they hum loudly compared to a highway tire of course. I can certainly hear my RG but after a few miles, I tune them out. If for some crazy reason I didn’t have a working stereo, the RG would be replaced immediately. I’ve had 35” KO2 and they are definitely quitter without question. Not as loud as a mud tire but you can hear them even when the music is on. I’m used to them and it doesn’t brother me but I may find a little less aggressive tire when they eventually wear out. I’ve never had KO2 past the 30k mark on the LC, so I can’t speak from experience if they get much louder.

Congrats?

I ran KO2 on this truck prior to moving to RG. They were quiet at first but by 30k miles were unbearably loud.

And Why would i intentionally lie about my experience with the RGs? You think maybe I’m some kind of secret Nitto operative here to spread misinformation in the hopes we sell a few more tires? Cmon man relax.
KO2s on my 4Runner have gotten exponentially louder around that mark. Tries still have tons of life left, though.

I agree, no freaking way the RG are ultra quiet. Heck they hum loudly compared to a highway tire of course. I can certainly hear my RG but after a few miles, I tune them out. If for some crazy reason I didn’t have a working stereo, the RG would be replaced immediately. I’ve had 35” KO2 and they are definitely quitter without question. Not as loud as a mud tire but you can hear them even when the music is on. I’m used to them and it doesn’t brother me but I may find a little less aggressive tire when they eventually wear out. I’ve never had KO2 past the 30k mark on the LC, so I can’t speak from experience if they get much louder.

Obviously everything I’m saying is relative. Ultraquiet relative to K02 and lots of other tires. Of course they are louder than a street tire. These are hybrid off-road / mud tires.

they are quiet in my opinion because I’ve had KO2 on this truck that sounded like a tank rolling down the road at 30,000 miles. These do not. And they have not yet at over 65,000 miles now.

I have run both out to 60,000 miles plus on the same truck. So I really don’t give a damn if anybody thinks it’s BS or not. 😀

Obviously everything I’m saying is relative. Ultraquiet relative to K02 and lots of other tires. Of course they are louder than a street tire. These are hybrid off-road / mud tires.

they are quiet in my opinion because I’ve had KO2 on this truck that sounded like a tank rolling down the road at 30,000 miles. These do not. And they have not yet at over 65,000 miles now.

I have run both out to 60,000 miles plus on the same truck. So I really don’t give a damn if anybody thinks it’s BS or not. 😀
The Ko2 is useless to me in the South. I found it pretty dangerous on heavy wet roads. The RG have been excellent on and off road. My only complaints are the worse fuel mileage and higher noise level. Since it’s not my dd, it doesn’t really matter and they look so good on the 200 😊

Congrats?

I agree with you about the KO2s. They were pretty quiet (I wouldn't consider any A/T tire "ultra quiet") until around 25-30k, and then just got progressively louder. The Ridge Grapplers I wouldn't consider ultra quiet either, but I think they're still quieter than the KO2s...and they last a hell of a lot longer. Best tire I've ever had.

Congrats?

Take it easy! Sorry if I offended - but seriously there is a very significant difference in noise between KO2 (none) vs. RG (very noticeable, though luckily not overbearing) - at least at low miles.

My KO2 have only about 13k miles, while the RG have maybe 500 miles. I am not a fanboi of either, wanted to try out something different than KO2s, and based on what people write I was expecting them to very close in the noise department. It is definitely not the case. They all become louder as they wear, maybe KO2 do that sooner? Could be also a function of rotation, alignment, use, etc.

Last edited:
I have not had KO2s but I have had the stock, terra G2's, and Ridge Grapplers which are currently on my crusher. The G2's were the loudest, the Ridge Grapplers are barely noticeable (not able to be heard if my radio is at 7 or higher) and the stock were silent and s***ty. If you have Ridge Grapplers and they are noisy then you are doing something wrong.

At 27k miles my KO2 still pretty quiet. Hoping things don’t go downhill fast!

@Madtiger I’ve found that rotating my KO2s regularly helps avoid noises. The one set (out of many I’ve owned on many different vehicles) that I didn’t rotate regularly ended up getting noisy after 25k miles. The fronts were pretty scalloped on the outside, and my alignment was still in factory spec (no lift or accessories, so that wasn’t a factor).

I have not had KO2s but I have had the stock, terra G2's, and Ridge Grapplers which are currently on my crusher. The G2's were the loudest, the Ridge Grapplers are barely noticeable (not able to be heard if my radio is at 7 or higher) and the stock were silent and s***ty. If you have Ridge Grapplers and they are noisy then you are doing something wrong.

Would love to know what that can be. Brand new tires, road force balanced, required small amount of weights, zero shimmy or other signs of problems. They just happily hum.

I have the RGs mounted on my 2015 right now, but will soon transfer them to the 2021 (that has the KO2 from the 2015 temporarily). This will remove the vehicle as a variable, but I don't expect anything to change.

Would love to know what that can be. Brand new tires, road force balanced, required small amount of weights, zero shimmy or other signs of problems. They just happily hum.

I have the RGs mounted on my 2015 right now, but will soon transfer them to the 2021 (that has the KO2 from the 2015 temporarily). This will remove the vehicle as a variable, but I don't expect anything to change.

Yeah, that's just weird. Doubt an alignment could be that far off to make a lot of noise, but seems like ya have all the bases covered. Maybe it's that set? If they are loud, it would be the exception not the rule.

I have a 2020 LC HE - all stock, and I'm about to replace tires.

Looks like the Toyos LT275/70/18 will fit stock suspension without modification with only minor rubbing at full articulation.

Do we know if the Nitto RG LT275/70R18 (E) will fit stock suspension without modification the same way? Or would I need to drop down to a LT275/65R18 (E)? Thanks!

So I've had both 275/70/18E and 285/75/17C RGs on my 2013 and never noticed the noise unless I listen for it. When I do listen for it, I hear it. Everyone's ear is different. The RGs are the best tire I've ever owned. I have had the KO2s on a couple different vehicles but not the LC and they were very good tires. They were very loud on my Xterra, but its an Xterra so the sound deadening is a whole class or two below the LC. I would expect to hear the RGs more on an Xterra as well. The first AT tire I had on the LC was a 275/65/18E Duratrac that I moved over from my Range Rover. It was by far the loudest tire I have ever owned and made the RGs sound and feel like LTXs. Also on the Range Rover I had the Terra Grappler G2s and they were very quiet and performed well, but weren't in the same class of performance as the RGs and never seemed like they were as durable, but I never had any failures. Just a weird sense that they weren't beefy enough.

I have a 2020 LC HE - all stock, and I'm about to replace tires.

Looks like the Toyos LT275/70/18 will fit stock suspension without modification with only minor rubbing at full articulation.

Do we know if the Nitto RG LT275/70R18 (E) will fit stock suspension without modification the same way? Or would I need to drop down to a LT275/65R18 (E)? Thanks!
Yes they fit, I have those exact tires

The Ridge Grapplers are noticeable if it’s not your daily. For instance, I drive another vehicle that is whisper quiet for a few days and then drive my 200 with RG’s. I recognize how loud they are once I hit the freeway. Keep in mind, many folks on here are probably half deaf 🤣. I fortunately and unfortunately have seriously great hearing which kind of sucks at times 👩 🗣😒. The hum of the tires is very noticeable. However, you will tune it out after driving for awhile and playing music. It’s the price you pay for an excellent hybrid A/T.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom