Next item on my list: manifold gasket probably needs replacing: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
And it’s been a very long time since I’ve done that type of work on a FJ40. Like, late 1980’s long time.

But I do remember the “ticking” sound when there is a exhaust gasket leak. But how much work is it to take the manifolds off? I don’t have the original carb and air filter installed, I’ve got a aftermarket one, put on by the previous owner. The tailpipe was replaced last year and I don’t hear the ticking noise as loud from where the header attaches to the tailpipe. I know a local mechanic that could work on it but if it’s not too difficult I would prefer working on it myself.

Ticking can also be from lifters out of adjustment.
It just started making the noise, about 8 or so miles into a trip. It SOUNDS like it’s coming from the manifold area, but accurately pin-pointing a location by sound alone is difficult.

Right now the sound drops to almost unnoticeable at engine idle speeds.

Just took my manifolds off recently. Once you get the carb off, there are 8 bolts for the manifolds and 3 nuts for the exhaust manifold to the pipe. The bolt next to the firewall is a little tricky, but not bad at all if your bolts break free easily.

That is a two person job for sure! I removed mine a couple weeks ago - didn't remove the fender (went that route having angled sockets/ratchets and got lucky and didn't mess with removing carb first)- with two people - took about 15 minutes to remove.

Then put it on with new gaskets (and engine) to see the manifold warped (no signs of warp when I removed)... I saw a thread on MUD about a brand of gaskets people like with not sealing vs machining. Mine is at the shop now getting machined.

Good luck

IMG-4498.jpg

IMG-5014.jpg

IMG-1731.JPEG

Fender on and bib off for your R+R. Did you prefer that method?
I think this Q is to me... Bib was off only because I was removing the engine to install a 2F I had rebuilt - putting the old manifold on new engine exposed the warp.

Would have done the same way with bib on. Maybe I got lucky.

It was removing the Weber carb the PO installed that would be a pain to remove while the manifold was intact vs taking all off in one shot with fender on (or off for that matter).

Only potential problem with this job is the risk of breaking bolts and studs. Mine had never been apart until now and I encountered a lot of breakage even though I soaked everything for days in advance, used heat, hand tools, was careful, blah blah. It turns into a big job if that happens but it’s not so bad if you luck out on the bolts and aren’t messing with anything else. Also a lot easier if you’re desmogged. There’s a lot in the way if you have the smog equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom