Newer gen suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Probably a stupid question, but I tried to search and looked for other forums that might cover this with no luck.

I see a lot of suspension take-offs in my area from Tacos and 4Runners. Do any of the newer gen suspension setups bolt up with little to no modification? Edit: Specifically with a 1992 4x4

Last edited:
Probably a stupid question, but I tried to search and looked for other forums that might cover this with no luck.

I see a lot of suspension take-offs in my area from Tacos and 4Runners. Do any of the newer gen suspension setups bolt up with little to no modification? Edit: Specifically with a 1992 4x4
I'm wondering what you mean by takeoffs, and why you'd want to use their newer, more complex and arguably less durable suspension setup on your '92.
Some hard core off road guys swap out their IFS for the solid front axle found on an older Toyota truck.

I'm wondering what you mean by takeoffs, and why you'd want to use their newer, more complex and arguably less durable suspension setup on your '92.
Some hard core off road guys swap out their IFS for the solid front axle found on an older Toyota truck.
That makes sense what you're saying. I'm very new to all of this so I'm trying to learn. I was more talking about these items off a newer TRD 4runner:

1670966617423.png

It’s possible, but it’s a ton of money. Your 92 is like my 89, it uses torsion bars, not coil springs. You’ll have to get a long travel conversion kit from Total Chaos to use coils, and you still won’t use take offs. Most of the time it’s reserved for baja type racing trucks. You’re looking at $8-10k to do it right.

In addition to this, you’ll need new fenders, longer cv axles from the T100, and a couple of their steering components.

In short, I think you’re approaching it as a budget friendly option, you’re just looking in the wrong places. You have torsion bars in the front, and leaf springs in the rear. Are you looking to just replace a sagging suspension, or are you looking for somewhat of a lift?

It’s possible, but it’s a ton of money. Your 92 is like my 89, it uses torsion bars, not coil springs. You’ll have to get a long travel conversion kit from Total Chaos to use coils, and you still won’t use take offs. Most of the time it’s reserved for baja type racing trucks. You’re looking at $8-10k to do it right.

In addition to this, you’ll need new fenders, longer cv axles from the T100, and a couple of their steering components.

In short, I think you’re approaching it as a budget friendly option, you’re just looking in the wrong places. You have torsion bars in the front, and leaf springs in the rear. Are you looking to just replace a sagging suspension, or are you looking for somewhat of a lift?
Thanks for the input! Definitely not looking to do anything crazy. Would just like a nice-ish setup that won't break the bank and can give me 2-3 inches.

You have torsion bars in the front, and leaf springs in the rear. Are you looking to just replace a sagging suspension, or are you looking for somewhat of a lift?
Well, since he only told us he was working on a 92 4x4, it could be a 4R too. In that case, it's coils in the rear, not leaf springs.

Thanks for the input! Definitely not looking to do anything crazy. Would just like a nice-ish setup that won't break the bank and can give me 2-3 inches.
For the front suspension, look into thicker torsion bars from Sway Away.

If you have a pickup, there’s a couple of people that do a 63” Chevy leaf spring swap for the rear suspension. Old Man Emu also has an all in one kit that includes everything if you want to go that route.

I don’t know about early 4Runners, maybe someone else can chime in and help you there.

For what purpose? You could probably run 33" tires with no lift. For acceptable performance from the stock drivetrain, that could be the biggest you want to go. If you must have a lift, ball joint spacers are also commonly used in the front end. Toytec 2'' Front Ball Joint Spacer Kit (4WD) For 1986-1995 Pickup & 4Runner (4WD) - https://www.lceperformance.com/Toytec-2-Front-Ball-Joint-Spacer-Kit-4WD-For-19-p/2040001.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiAheacBhB8EiwAItVO21F3HFFL5wFDYda_L8sgJmAOP0qWbwbiMaYBawun4fKMnQTJi_HHeBoCt-sQAvD_BwE

I'm lazy. I would get the OME kit from Cruiser Outtfitters (SLC, UT) and call it a day.

Well, since he only told us he was working on a 92 4x4, it could be a 4R too. In that case, it's coils in the rear, not leaf springs.

Sorry its a pickup

For what purpose? You could probably run 33" tires with no lift. For acceptable performance from the stock drivetrain, that could be the biggest you want to go. If you must have a lift, ball joint spacers are also commonly used in the front end. Toytec 2'' Front Ball Joint Spacer Kit (4WD) For 1986-1995 Pickup & 4Runner (4WD) - https://www.lceperformance.com/Toytec-2-Front-Ball-Joint-Spacer-Kit-4WD-For-19-p/2040001.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiAheacBhB8EiwAItVO21F3HFFL5wFDYda_L8sgJmAOP0qWbwbiMaYBawun4fKMnQTJi_HHeBoCt-sQAvD_BwE

Thanks for the reply. If you did something like these spacers in the front, what would you do in the rear?

I'm lazy. I would get the OME kit from Cruiser Outtfitters (SLC, UT) and call it a day.

I will take a look at this, thanks!

Sorry its a pickup

Thanks for the reply. If you did something like these spacers in the front, what would you do in the rear?

I will take a look at this, thanks!
For the rear, new springs, add a leaf or longer shackles.

The 3rd gen 4Runner's suspension (shared with 1st gen Tacoma/Tundra/Sequoia) is not a good one. Lower balljoint can fail catastrophically. I also think going to rack and pinion steering may also be less durable, though it can give better feedback (3rd gen 4Runner does, Tundra is vague).

I could see wanting to get a Tacoma and get a custom long travel setup, or solid axle. But swapping in 3rd gen stuff would be a no go, for me. Other generations, maybe. Just look up 3rd gen 4Runner LBJ failures and it almost feels endless. Even if unlikely, it can happen to you at the most inopportune time, and sometimes by great surprise even with fairly frequent maintenance.

The IFS on the pickups is a very well designed, stout setup. It's no long travel, for sure, but it's fantastic for what it is. An IFS that rivals the durability (obviously not the articulation) of solid axles. I personally prefer a 3.0 with the torsion bar IFS to a 3.4 with the 3rd gen coil IFS, even if the 3.0 has a more questionable reputation. Where I'm at, suspension durability is more important.

The 3rd gen 4Runner's suspension (shared with 1st gen Tacoma/Tundra/Sequoia) is not a good one. Lower balljoint can fail catastrophically. I also think going to rack and pinion steering may also be less durable, though it can give better feedback (3rd gen 4Runner does, Tundra is vague).

I could see wanting to get a Tacoma and get a custom long travel setup, or solid axle. But swapping in 3rd gen stuff would be a no go, for me. Other generations, maybe. Just look up 3rd gen 4Runner LBJ failures and it almost feels endless. Even if unlikely, it can happen to you at the most inopportune time, and sometimes by great surprise even with fairly frequent maintenance.

The IFS on the pickups is a very well designed, stout setup. It's no long travel, for sure, but it's fantastic for what it is. An IFS that rivals the durability (obviously not the articulation) of solid axles. I personally prefer a 3.0 with the torsion bar IFS to a 90 3.4 with the 3rd gen coil IFS, even if the 3.0 has a more questionable reputation. Where I'm at, suspension durability is more important.
I've seen a couple of those lower ball joint failures this year in Hawaii, one on a 4Runner and one on a Taco. Many of the roads in my area are lava rock plus a bit of gravel in places and can be quite rough. My old 2 gen IFS has held up very well for 20 years, living on one of the worst roads. I'm only here part of the year, but still impressive IMO. A house sitting friend had a full sized Chevy pickup here for a couple years only before one of the A arms broke off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom