Newbie to FWD and FJ cruiser needs help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. Until now, I've stuck basically to golf forums (www.4gea.com).

I'm in NJ and am online to pick up an FJ Cruiser in 3-4 weeks (according to the dealer). I'm currently driving a WRX and am going in a new direction due to the addition of a puppy (lab) and the growth of my two kids (now 6 and 8). I plan to get into more outdoor activities and perhaps some not too serious off roading.

My first question: There's a $1000 option on the FJ for a pan and something else (I forget exactly what the second thing is, but it relates to off roading). Is this option required if I plan on keeping the truck off of big rock type trails?

Second question: Where does a newbie in NJ go for a little education and training on off roading?

Thanks. I look forward to making a bunch of new virtual friends here.

FJ Golfr/Cruisr

honestly, anything dealer offered or dealer installed is NOT going to be cheap, nor will be sustand much for "real" offroad use.....poseur stuff, yes....not rocks.....lol

Check in the Clubs corner below for a club in your area....perfect way to meet more Toyota owners and experienced wheelers....

deffently get the rock rails and the rear locker, as for other skid plates, i personaly would wait and buy somthing cheaper and stronger from an aftermarket source.
i second finding a club in your area, its a ton of fun, but it'll deffently take away from your golf time.

You'll deffinately want skid plates... whether you'll want the stock ones or not is the real question. If you want your vehicle to come from the dealership exactly the way you want it without needing to do anything to it later, then get the stock ones. If not, wait for aftermarket ones, they will be better.

btw, FWD usually means Front Wheel Drive... 4WD = 4 Wheel Drive. ;)

TRy Gotham City Land Cruisers located at the bottom of the Forum page. THey host a great event at Paragon off road park in June that will teach you the basics.

FJ Golfr & Cruiser said:
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. Until now, I've stuck basically to golf forums (www.4gea.com).

I'm in NJ and am online to pick up an FJ Cruiser in 3-4 weeks (according to the dealer). I'm currently driving a WRX and am going in a new direction due to the addition of a puppy (lab) and the growth of my two kids (now 6 and 8). I plan to get into more outdoor activities and perhaps some not too serious off roading.

My first question: There's a $1000 option on the FJ for a pan and something else (I forget exactly what the second thing is, but it relates to off roading). Is this option required if I plan on keeping the truck off of big rock type trails?

Second question: Where does a newbie in NJ go for a little education and training on off roading?

Thanks. I look forward to making a bunch of new virtual friends here.

FJ Golfr/Cruisr

Welcome!

I would put your money into the rock sliders/rails and definatly a rear locker, these two items will increase the offroad abiliy and protection of your new FJ!

Best of Luck!

Rezarf <><

If you're planning on getting into outdoor activities with your two kids (and probably with some of their friends) you'd be much better off with an xterra Offroad since IT HAS FOUR DOORS, skid plates, rear locker and traction control which should be more than enough for the offrad you'll be doing and you'll get it at a much better price too.

thanks for all of the responses.

as to the nissan suggestion, as soon as the fj comes out i'll drive both on the same day and make a determination. i think you may be right but i love the looks of the toyota and certain features (ie hose it out). we'll just have to see.

Much better price?

Per April 2006 Car & Driver
Xterra base: $26,630
FJ base: $22,890

I would def test drive them both as you said. And depending on what you want, FJ may be cheaper.

-Matt

80and100cruisers said:
Much better price?

Per April 2006 Car & Driver
Xterra base: $26,630
FJ base: $22,890

I would def test drive them both as you said. And depending on what you want, FJ may be cheaper.

-Matt

But when you compare both equally equipped (lockers, etc), add the markup dealers are charging because of "limited availability" to the FJC and subtract some $2500 discount to the Xterra that you can get right now, you get the "real" price you'll be paying for either one, you'll see what I'm talking about.

j7addict said:
But when you compare both equally equipped (lockers, etc), add the markup dealers are charging because of "limited availability" to the FJC and subtract some $2500 discount to the Xterra that you can get right now, you get the "real" price you'll be paying for either one, you'll see what I'm talking about.

There are too many dealers offering MSRP pricing to ever agree to paying over it.

just my 2 cents

None of the locals here are marking up above MSRP.

Just thinking out loud here but I wonder how the Nissian folks would take me pimping the FJ Cruiser on their board?

If someone was interested in a Xterra they would be posting over there. Since the OP posted here I'm pretty sure they are interested in finding out about the FJ, given that this is an all Toyota board and this forum is titled FJ Cruiser.

I'm not trying to be contrary just wondering what motivates some one to make these kind of post?

I post here because this is a Land Cruiser forum, and after owning an FJ-70 for 10 years I feel more than qualified to post in this forum.

Since FJ Golfr stated that he's new to FWD and was asking for help I advised him on what I think will work better for his situation.

Actually, I don't know why do we have an FJ Cruiser section on a Land Cruiser forum, since it's not a real Land Cruiser, it's just a marketing strategy from Toyota to make people think that it's a Land Cruiser and sell more units to soccer moms.

I'm amazed how people who claims to be cruiserheads say that the FJ Cruiser is a Land Cruiser because it shares it's platform with the 120 series, if that's the case, then we should add sections for the 4R and the tacos, since they share their platform with the FJ Cruiser.

I love Land Cruisers and would buy a brand Toyota if they ever get serious about hard core offroad and bring a real Land Cruiser like the 7 series and not that funny FJ Cruiser they came up with.

Sorry, guys, but being a cruiserhead doesn't mean you have to kiss Toyota's ass and say amen to everything they do.

j7addict said:
I post here because this is a Land Cruiser forum, and after owning an FJ-70 for 10 years I feel more than qualified to post in this forum.

Since FJ Golfr stated that he's new to FWD and was asking for help I advised him on what I think will work better for his situation.

Actually, I don't know why do we have an FJ Cruiser section on a Land Cruiser forum, since it's not a real Land Cruiser, it's just a marketing strategy from Toyota to make people think that it's a Land Cruiser and sell more units to soccer moms.

I'm amazed how people who claims to be cruiserheads say that the FJ Cruiser is a Land Cruiser because it shares it's platform with the 120 series, if that's the case, then we should add sections for the 4R and the tacos, since they share their platform with the FJ Cruiser.

I love Land Cruisers and would buy a brand Toyota if they ever get serious about hard core offroad and bring a real Land Cruiser like the 7 series and not that funny FJ Cruiser they came up with.

Sorry, guys, but being a cruiserhead doesn't mean you have to kiss Toyota's ass and say amen to everything they do.
Holy smokes! Am I glad I opened this thread. :rolleyes:

The FJ is kind of ugly at some angles but aside from that it fawkin rocks! Not kissing Toyota's ass just because I like it and have been considering getting one. Dude, it's a Land Cruiser...

You might have some other issues to deal with. :flipoff2:

j7addict said:

Then please by all means post in all the other Land Cruiser sections of this board and tell them there SUVs look funny and that anyone thinking of buying one ought to go look at a Xtera.

You just set yourself up for failure.

And saying you have owner a Cruiser for 10 years doesn't automatically make you a cruiserhead. I've seen and met people who have owned them longer than that and to them it's just a car.

And please show me another company who has come out with a low priced hardcore offroad vehicle? There is only one currently and it's a heep. The FJ is not a bad vehicle.

And there is a truck section of this forum. It's called Toyota Truck Tech it covers the minitruck/hilux, surf/4Runner, T-100, Sequoia, Tundra, Tacoma, and other 4WD Toyota rigs . They are not Land Cruiser but I respect them just as much as any cruiser.

j7addict said:

Your right but you also need to understand that there are people here who have already put a down payment on one or have been talking about it for over two years. How about having a little respect for them.

j7addict said:
I'm amazed how people who claims to be cruiserheads say that the FJ Cruiser is a Land Cruiser because it shares it's platform with the 120 series, if that's the case, then we should add sections for the 4R and the tacos, since they share their platform with the FJ Cruiser..

I'd be willing to bet the fj wheels better than a 120 series :flipoff2:

Trollhole said:
And please show me another company who has come out with a low priced hardcore offroad vehicle?

Out of curiosity why does the X-Terra not qualify? Rear Locker, Traction Control, and 32s, same as the FJ-Cruiser, and same price w/rear locker.

Personally I would choose the FJ-Cruiser over the X-Terra simply because it comes with Full-Time 4WD with the manual transmission. If I were buying an automatic I would have a hard time choosing as both are nearly identical, I guess it would come down to whether I needed 4-Doors or not.

Cheers

What is a 100 series Land Cruiser J7addict? Just another vechicle that has independent suspension and notthing more.
The Little FJ has spirit and can out wheel a stock 40 or for that matter a stock 70 series. Now I am not talking modifyied, I am sure it will out wheel a stock 80 in some situations. It is all in the hand of the driver and what the intention is. It is not Kissing the ass of toyota, it accepting and working with what is offered. Sorry for you, the future is now and you are stuck in the past. Toyota will not give up safty for wants of a few. Too bad you will not give the truck a chance. I have seen it in action, I will get to work it for the next 8 months with the FJ tream. I will get to report how it does, what it does well.
If you have a stock 70 series, count your self lucky and unlucky. As it does some things great, and other things not so great. If you have built it, more power to you. But to say something sucks with out trying or giving something a chance is plain foolish. This is the same old stuff that has been going on for a long time, first the 60 series could not wheel hard, then the 62, then the 80 then the 100. But over time people have found the way to modify the truck of there choice to the level they wanted.
Do not stay stuck in the past. later robbie

j7addict said:

I didn't own a cruiser for 12 years. During that time I would have never said I was a cruiserhead.

ANyone can post on this forum. Thats one of the great things about it. There are so many people with different opinions like yours.

But make sure you don't mislead anyone. You may have owned a cruiser for ten years. But it was from 88 to 98. Have you owned one in the past 8 years?

Everything you have posted on this forum has either been negative about the FJ or something about specs of a Xtera or about how you wish the FJ would have been more like a 70.

You remind me of a guy by the name of Tai.:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom