Newbie mechanic set of tools for learning to wrench on 100 series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A length of black iron/lead pipe makes an indestructible breaker bar that slips over ratchet handles, mine is going on 15yrs still undefeated :hillbilly:
I used to have a pipe that I used for years... Until one day, I destroyed a 3/8" ratchet wrench from hammering on the pipe while trying to break a bolt loose. It was fun while it lasted. I took that as an opportunity to upgrade to an actual breaker bar.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that's done this, but has anyone used a big combination wrench over the end of a ratchet wrench for some additional leverage? It's a little bit of a pain, but it works in a pinch.

I used to have a pipe that I used for years... Until one day, I destroyed a 3/8" ratchet wrench from hammering on the pipe while trying to break a bolt loose. It was fun while it lasted. I took that as an opportunity to upgrade to an actual breaker bar.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that's done this, but has anyone used a big combination wrench over the end of a ratchet wrench for some additional leverage? It's a little bit of a pain, but it works in a pinch.
1/2 inch ratchet and you would not have had that problemo

Hose clamp pliers make every job easier.
D4A7C871-7DBE-48A6-A0C1-491852292CC9.jpeg

Amazon product ASIN B07C3LYZM7

Thanks everyone!

I haven't gone down the Techstream rabbit hole yet because it seems like a bit of black magic or voodoo is required to get it working, lol.
Amazon, Autogrills (is the seller) … excellent support … I ended up letting them remote connect and install whilst I watched ( 3 minutes tops) … not 1 issue since, no need for VM either.

I'd crack a beer and start reading here:
I just watched 3 hours of videos to learn what I need to repair everything in the field. But he didn't touch on what I'm using those snap ring pliers for. Or the punches, chisels, box cutter, or hacksaw. As far as I can tell I just need wrenches. Also while this was super interesting - does he have something that's just a field travel kit instead of the idea of being a mechanic for a long term expedition with multiple vehicles?

Back when I was ~16 my dad got me a "Mechanic's" set from Craftsman. That set has served me very well for 20 years. I've had to add some small stuff here and there. Extensions, weird sockets, universal joints, and then of course impact tools when I had a house and air setup. And then brake tools, a slew of torque wrenches, a 4 post lift.... it all escalated quickly. :D

I would suggest you get a Mechanics set, but not in a folding case. Get something like this: https://amzn.to/399N20l

One of the early additions I bought was a set of flex head ratcheting wrenches from Gear Wrench. I've never had one of those fail on me and they've paid themselves off 20 times over. Such a cool invention.

You’ll need a floor press and a torch if you plan to do control arm bushings.

Need torx to remove steering wheel, sunroof frame, and a few other things. So yeah, not much stuff.
Bushings are a strange thing. So simple, yet incredibly difficult without the right tools. Personally, I think they're a bit of a temptress, especially on the 100. It seems easy, the parts are cheap and shops charge a lot. So it's a fun DIY thing.... until you realize without a press you're screwed or that your wimpy floor press requires you to basically burn and cut the old one out by hand anyways and it took you 4 hours to do 2 bushings.... after you got them out of the car.

One tip: embrace the impact (for removal, at least). I spent a lot of years without a big air compressor and with the impression that impacts ruined things. As it turns out, a beefy impact gun for removal makes wrenching about twice as enjoyable and may spare a significant amount of blood. I've done my best to imitate a few crime scenes in my garage from loosening tough bolts by hand only to end up slipping off a wrench and painting the floor with red specks. Now days, if it takes more than a little effort I fire up the compressor and reach for the impact.

I just watched 3 hours of videos to learn what I need to repair everything in the field. But he didn't touch on what I'm using those snap ring pliers for. Or the punches, chisels, box cutter, or hacksaw. As far as I can tell I just need wrenches. Also while this was super interesting - does he have something that's just a field travel kit instead of the idea of being a mechanic for a long term expedition with multiple vehicles?
What? You need those things for improvising, which is as common as what you’re thinking is common. He lays it out simply, what dont you understand?

What? You need those things for improvising, which is as common as what you’re thinking is common. He lays it out simply, what dont you understand?
The hacksaw, box cutters, and chisels mainly.

I’m not knocking the dude. I’m no mechanic so I legitimately don’t know. Like what am I punching out? What am I chiseling? Is there an example?

I’m primarily doing weekend trips. Maybe a week at best. Coming from the backpacking world - I’ll field repair your whisperlite but I’ve never worked on cars.

If you break a CV, you need the snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring holding it to the hub. You need a brass punch or a brass hammer to hit the cone washers holding the hub to the flange if you have to replace the wheel bearing. I've never really used a chisel on anything other than wood. I guess it depends on the type of chisel he is talking about. I have used an air chisel to separate rusty parts. Without a box cuter, how are you going to cut the tails off all the zip ties? A hacksaw is good if you need to cut a little off a bolt that you just boogered the threads on.

If you break a CV, you need the snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring holding it to the hub. You need a brass punch or a brass hammer to hit the cone washers holding the hub to the flange if you have to replace the wheel bearing. I've never really used a chisel on anything other than wood. I guess it depends on the type of chisel he is talking about. I have used an air chisel to separate rusty parts. Without a box cuter, how are you going to cut the tails off all the zip ties? A hacksaw is good if you need to cut a little off a bolt that you just boogered the threads on.
Thanks. So I'll probably add these as I gain those skills or have to fix those things. Cutting wheel bearing and probably CVs are beyond my skill level.

Does anyone use Klein tools on the toyota bolts?

I have one or two Klein tools for electric stuff. All my "real tools" are Gearwrench, Wuerth (German "business only" brand), Wera, Knipex, DeWalt, ...
Things I only plan on using once or twice is Harbor Freight.

Best deal: whenever I need a new tool to fix a friends car they got to buy it and I keep it :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom