Newbie looking for FJ80, buying advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh wow, I've not seen any in that price range near me in So Cal. I'll keep an eye out. Thx

Be patient. It’s still a buyer’s market for the 80 series. You may have to travel, but it’ll be worth it in the end.

In my experience, there’s about one great deal that pops up somewhere in the country per week. You have to have your cash ready, and be willing to pull the trigger immediately. Don’t be careless, educate yourself and know what you’re looking for. That way, when you see it, you’ll know what to do before coming here and poking the peanut gallery.

It’s still a buyer’s market for the 80 series
Maybe in your neck of the woods it is still a buyer's market but in my neighborhood it is a seller's market for 80's. All of a sudden this year everyone wants an 80. Just look at all the new people introducing themselves and their new 80's on the forum. Haha damn hipsters turning overlanding into the new cool thing.

$3500-3800 is an absolute pipe-dream for a decent condition, rust free 80. I agree that for a '93 ('95-97 are more desirable for many reasons) with open diffs, that sellers asking price is on the high side unless it is in exceptional condition, but most of the guys on here who keep parroting that they got their trucks for $1,000 + a case of beer are usually either trying to look cool to a bunch of strangers on the internet or bought their trucks 9 years ago and have no idea what the current market is like.

These trucks are old now and are all of varying degree of prices and quality. Really impossible to say what any given truck is worth without pics.

Maybe in your neck of the woods it is still a buyer's market but in my neighborhood it is a seller's market for 80's. All of a sudden this year everyone wants an 80. Just look at all the new people introducing themselves and their new 80's on the forum. Haha damn hipsters turning overlanding into the new cool thing.

Yep, you’ll definitely need to travel, unless you get lucky. But you can still find deals in the sun belt every week. If you gotta have one today, you’re going to pay. If you can wait 6-8 weeks, you’ll save thousands, and might get a cool little road trip as a bonus.

I paid 5500 for my 97 x3 locked last year, bought a 97 Collectors x3 locked for 2700 earlier this year (okay... it needed some work), a buddy of mine bought a super clean x3 locked absolutely perfect 95 for 5200 about a month ago.

Feel free to message me if you need help. 👍🏼

Last edited:
A quick 5 minute search within four hours of my house...

toyota landcruiser 4x4

1994 Toyota Landcruiser Hot Sale

1996 Lexus LX450 (Toyota Land Cruiser) with lockers

You can clean these up for a lot less than you think.
Well I guess there can be a problem with translation because "decent condition" can mean a lot of things to a lot of different people. One of those is a salvage title which for me and a lot of folks is an immediate no for very good reason, the other is incredibly rough with no mileage listed and will need a large amount of cosmetic work to both the interior and exterior in addition to all the mechanical faults...looks like it has been parked outside in a field for years based on those pics, and final one has 300k miles and they still want nearly $7k... personally I wouldnt even consider any of these trucks, but to each his own.

Well I guess there can be a problem with translation because "good condition" can mean a lot of things to a lot of different people. One of those is a salvage title which for me and a lot of folks is an immediate no for very good reason, the other is incredibly rough with no mileage listed and will need a large amount of cosmetic work to both the interior and exterior in addition to all the mechanical faults...looks like it has been parked outside in a field for years, and final one has 300k miles and they still want nearly $7k... personally I wouldnt even consider any of these trucks, but to each his own.

Very true... if you want a turn-key truck that’s already been baselined and restored/refreshed... you’ll spend 12.5k plus. But a 300k truck, will require exactly the same baseline maintenance as a 175k truck. That mileage wouldn’t scare me. It isn’t a dodge truck. The bottom will go over 400k miles easy. The tops always needs to be rebuilt after about 175-200k miles anyway. So it doesn’t really matter. Seats are always roached after 20 years, you’ll cover or replace those in anything you buy, unless it’s already been done... I admit, I’m willing to take on a little more DIY than most people.

Keep in mind, I only spent 5 minutes searching a radius of four hours. My original advice said you would need several weeks and be willing to travel across the country.

That LX can be had for 6k, maybe less. I wouldn’t pay more than 6, but that my absolute top.

Very true... if you want a turn-key truck that’s already been baselined and restored/refreshed... you’ll spend 12.5k plus. But a 300k truck, will require exactly the same baseline maintenance as a 175k truck. That mileage wouldn’t scare me. It isn’t a dodge truck. The bottom will go over 400k miles easy. The tops always needs to be rebuilt after about 175-200k miles anyway. So it doesn’t really matter. Seats are always roached after 20 years, you’ll cover or replace those in anything you buy, unless it’s already been done... I admit, I’m willing to take on a little more DIY than most people.

Keep in mind, I only spent 5 minutes searching a radius of four hours. My original advice said you would need several weeks and be willing to travel across the country.

That LX can be had for 6k, maybe less. I wouldn’t pay more than 6, but that my ab solute top.
Not talking necessarily about turn-key, but those trucks you linked were all very rough. If you want to make them nice trucks it will be a lot of $$$...again though "nice" means different things to different people. Much more money then whats worth putting into trucks like those. I'm sure theyd all make ok trail sleds, but beyond that, not worth a second look. While I dont entirely disagree with your mileage assessments, they are mostly generalizations and not always accurate in a lot of cases...that said, at this point with these trucks maintenance history is a lot more important than the odo reading. I can assure you though, none of those trucks you linked have solid maintenance history lol, or the overwhelming, vast majority in that price range.

There will always be a cheaper truck, but realistically the market has the solid stock ones priced a lot higher than the ones you linked. Theyre priced that low for a reason. Subjective but id much rather pay a bit more for (what i would consider) a solid truck than forever chasing down issues with cheap-os like those.

Bought a stock 96 fzj80 for 4K about a month ago. I got lucky as it was 5 miles from my house and the owner spelled land cruiser wrong on Craigslist, making it hard to find. I had to put 1,000 into it. I can see having to replace/rebuild the head gasket in the next year. Runs smooth though. Has its quirks as most 20+ year old car will. Enjoying it thoroughly!

10589436-3993-43E0-AE3C-451CFECAA8DD.jpeg

Not talking necessarily about turn-key, but those trucks you linked were all very rough. If you want to make them nice trucks it will be a lot of $$$...again though "nice" means different things to different people. Much more money then whats worth putting into trucks like those. I'm sure theyd all make ok trail sleds, but beyond that, not worth a second look. While I dont entirely disagree with your mileage assessments, they are mostly generalizations and not always accurate in a lot of cases...that said, at this point with these trucks maintenance history is a lot more important than the odo reading. I can assure you though, none of those trucks you linked have solid maintenance history lol, or the overwhelming, vast majority in that price range.

There will always be a cheaper truck, but realistically the market has the solid stock ones priced a lot higher than the ones you linked. Theyre priced that low for a reason. Subjective but id much rather pay a bit more for (what i would consider) a solid truck than forever chasing down issues with cheap-os like those.

Both of our point of views are absolutely correct. It really just depends on what level of restoration and maintenance you are willing to take on.

For me, I don’t even trust receipts. Unless I know the truck, and the PO personally and am comfortable with their level of care... I’m going to completely baseline the cruiser anyway. So I’m looking for a good set of bones for a killer deal. The more I save up front, the further ahead I’ll be at the end. Plus, I’ll know what’s been done and what hasn’t. I need to be able to drive my cruiser across the country with absolute confidence. A seller will tell you that the motor was completely rebuilt, when in reality, he just changed the spark plugs Lol.

I admit, I didn’t read through the ads I posted, it was just a quick search. Obviously you need to filter the options to separate the fly $h!t from the pepper. But give me six weeks, and I’ll find you a near turn key 5000 dollar 80 series cruiser, right @Windowlicker ?

('95-97 are more desirable for many reasons)
Hey Buldozer you better be careful, your statement that 95-97 are the most desirable trucks to look for just might be taken as fighting words. To all those Mud members who think their 91-92 and 93-94 land cruisers are the most desirable years to buy, Ha Ha.

Thank you all for the help. Really appreciate it. What a great community.

While I would love to wrench on it myself, I wont have enough spare time to do it as fast as I need it done. Does anyone know a trusted shop in southern California? Or a good way to fine one?

Thank you all for the help. The 93 I was looking at had no maintenance records. It idled smooth, ran nice, seemed to drive well. Biggest issues were mostly cosmetic. No rust that I can see. 206K miles on it.

Issues I saw
- Missing 3rd row seats (how hard are these to get?)
- Batter was dead, but jumped OK and ran OK after (alternator works)
- Rear door window did not lock/unlock with power locks. Key did not work in it either (maybe not the original? Car was painted), was also missing Toyota key swing cover.
- Passenger side mirror mount broke (the inside mirror part).
- Washer fluid bottle cracks at top taped together
- Land Cruiser badge on back cracked in middle
- Carfax reports clean title, no accidents, some maintenance stuff but not extensive.

- No lockers
- ARB bumper
- 3" old man lift
- Roof rack
- Smithy built winch
Asking $9500. Decent deal?

Should I have a mechanic look at it first?

I'd have a mechanic look at it and do a cost breakdown for the item's it needs. I personally wouldn't pay more than 6K without the lockers.

Thank you all for the help. Really appreciate it. What a great community.

While I would love to wrench on it myself, I wont have enough spare time to do it as fast as I need it done. Does anyone know a trusted shop in southern California? Or a good way to fine one?

Yotamasters
1336 w. Sixth St,
Corona CA 92882
Phone (951) 279-0220
Yotamasters - Quality parts and service

check this list from the FJ60 page for more in CA

Hey Buldozer you better be careful, your statement that 95-97 are the most desirable trucks to look for just might be taken as fighting words. To all those Mud members who think their 91-92 and 93-94 land cruisers are the most desirable years to buy, Ha Ha.
If you prefer cracked leather, broken power seats gear, air bags, OBDII, smaller tranny, HG phobia, PHH and $3-5K up-charge on sticker price, then by all means it is more desirable....lol

If you prefer cracked leather, broken power seats gear, air bags, OBDII, smaller tranny, HG phobia, PHH and $3-5K up-charge on sticker price, then by all means it is more desirable....lol

🤣👍🏼

Lol. FWIW I like all 80 series, but if we're going to do this debate again, for the 900th time, OBDII is vastly superior, literally not even close. It is an incredibly useful tool to have and that is far from a disadvantage, frankly it is a massive advantage. I would say the same about airbags. Also the whole "bus tranny" BS is not founded with any data, the a343 is the better trans in nearly all applications, the 443 is still a great trans, but you are mistaken if you think its better or even the same as the 343. It has a higher failure rate in harsh conditions. The rest of your points I am frankly confused by though as all 93-94 have PHH and (vastly overblown) HG issues the same way as 95-97 does unless you are now talking about 91-92 for some reason? And if you are, that is an entirely separate discussion as they are even worse than '93-94's :flipoff2:

Obd2 is great if you have an engine that is always acting up and overheating. If you have a 3fe it is useless because your engine will outlive your 80..... But your 80 won't be able to outrun anything on the street except for a bicycle. :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom