Newbie .. Fj40 Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:beer: :beer: Beer lover as we all should be, anywho i scored on a 1977 fj40 from a buddy of mine that has owned it for 20 years and now its alllllll mine. I have been doing alot of reading here and research on the age old question ? lift kits. I have decided between two, old man enu or a guy told me about BTB Products . has anyone heard or have info on BTB ?

Help a Mountain cruiser out Please !

bandy rooster said:
well if you have cruised the forums enough, you should know to post a pic!!!!

welcome to mud!

And bandy rooster forgot something else while mentioning the lack of pics: :flipoff2:

Welcome to mud.

Hit up the search option and I bet you can find something on it theres a ton of threads on lift kits.

Hi All:

You ask about "lift kits," well it really depends upon what you plan to do with the rig.

I've run the mild two inch OME suspension for the last 8 years and I do a regular amount of off-road trips.

That being said, I have two buddies that have done the sprung-over axle (SOA) conversion on their 40 Series in the last few years. It is an impressive suspension modification on a BJ/FJ40!

But, do you really need four to six inches of suspension lift over the (tired) stock level? That is the quesation!

Regards,

Alan

I Live in the central valley of california, so i will be four wheeling in the sierra's like dusey ershim, and red lake and alot of rocks and creeks, also can't decide if 4'' or 2-1/2'' ? if i do the 4'' do i also need to do the brake line extension.

i dont have a pic yet, will soon ..

FJ40 MNTCRZR said:
I Live in the central valley of california, so i will be four wheeling in the sierra's like dusey ershim, and red lake and alot of rocks and creeks, also can't decide if 4'' or 2-1/2'' ? if i do the 4'' do i also need to do the brake line extension.

i dont have a pic yet, will soon ..

I had to lengthen both front and rear brake hoses when I did my 4inch lift. I personally don't see the reason to go only 2.5. If I had to do it all over I would have just gone SOA from day one since I was building a "wheeling" rig but I thought SOA was overkill way back then.

will the cruiser still fit i the garage with the 4'' ? i have no hard top and i am not willing to park outside due to thief's and crooks. i don't want to lose my stereo and tach etc .. or for that matter now adays the whole cruiser.

Thanks

With your lcation I would personally look into SOA, if you aren't planning on daily driving it. First I would throw in an Aussie/Lockrite, dertoit EZ locker in one of the axels and wheel it like that for a while. A locker can do alot more for you than most people believe without a lift.

Search here for all the comparison topics: Cost SOA vs. SUA, Ride quality SOA vs. SUA. etc.... An SOA may seem daunting at first, but with the right hook-ups, can be done cheaper than a full lift kit. Also hook-up with a local Land Cruiser club. See if anyone will let you drive their modded rigs, SUA and SOA.

Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to MUD!:flipoff2:

So the spring over is the way to go huh ? i am not using it for a daily driver only for huntin and fishin and wheeling trips. where do i get that info on spring over ?
in here ? i am very new to this land cruiser thing, i have wrenched on several other 4x4's however not cruiser's . so far pretty easy though ..

check faq

Hey welcome,

Check the FAQ at the top of the 40-55 series tech section scroll down till you see the SOA and SUA topics. There is a wealth of info and debates about SOA vs SUA. Should be enough there for you to make up your mind about what you want to do. And BTW :flipoff2: .

I have had success with Old ManEmu on my other trucks...Make I will not mention. Nut those are both on and off road toys I have never gone more than a 2 to 4 inch lift with OME. It really does depend on wat you want to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom