New Tundra (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just went to the area auto show and saw the new Tundra. Extremely nice truck - 381 hp & 400Ft.lbs. I was pretty much set on purchasing a 2003+ LC at the end of the year - until I saw the Tundra. Any comparison info? How capable would the rear LSD be compared to the LC's locker in light offroading?

what kind of 4wd system does the Tundra have?
if it's only a 2wd with LSD, there should be no comparison. A 2003+ with Atrac would run circles around that T I would think, traction wise.

The new Tundra has TRAC, ATRAC, VSC, auto limited slip (uses brakes to simulate a LSD), should be very comparable, as it uses the same type of traction control as the 100, with the extra goodies like A-LSD. Wheelbase and size will be the big difference.

I have my brother's new 2007 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 with the 5.7 engine sitting in my driveway next to my 2006 LC. The Tundra has the TRD suspension with 275/65/18 tires, standard bed, the NAV option, and a nice leather interior. The big engine with the 6-speed transmission is pretty impressive.

I cannot compare the 4WD systems, as I do not do "sport" offroading. However, my observation has been that pretty much anything with 4WD -- and even a 2WD Toyota Camry (*) -- will work for light offroading.

I would make the decision based on what and how much you need to carry. They are really two completely different vehicles. The Tundra is big, and it can haul. My brother filled it up with slate and limestone to landscape my yard and said the only difference was that it handles better with the weight. He didn't even notice the load with acceleration and braking. I didn't measure, but it looks maybe a foot or two longer than the LC (even without the long bed), which might may tight trails kind of tricky.

The Tundra's interior is a definitely generous. My brother is 6'2" and says it feels great. When I drove it it felt cavernous. The interior quality on my 2006 Landcruiser is a little better, except for the leather seats. The quality of the aftermarket leather on the Tundra is much better than the factory Toyota leather. Both interiors are very nice, though, and anybody not related to royalty should be pleased as punch sit their backside in either vehicle.

(*) I was at the Colorado 4Runner Jam several years back. We were doing a trail (?) near Leadville I think and were descending after an afternoon of fun. On the way down we passed a Toyota Camry picking its way upward on the trail. Jeff the Marmot piped up over the CB "And on your left you will notice a recent model Toyota Camry -- with a rental car sticker on the back, which indicates that even stock it is already a capable off-road vehicle." I looked as it passed and sure enough, there was a green Enterprise sticker on the bumper :)

Last edited:
I have a 99LC and a 2004 TRD DC 4x4 Tundra. I'm not sure what the difference in size is between the 04 and 07 for overall length, but the 07 access cab has a little more leg room than my 04 for the driver. My 04 has less leg room than the LC. I'm 6'2" with long legs. As far as off road capability, both the LC andc the Tundra do great. The Tundra is smoother off road because of the longer wheel base but the LC is much easier to get around in tight spaces both on and off the road. All that said, I'd sure like to have the extra horsepower and leg room in the 07 Tundra. But as my everyday driver, I prefer the LC.

Ryan,

Because of an accident, I was put in the fortunate position of having to buy a new vehicle just as the new Tundra's were popping up at dealers. I have had trucks for 20+ years and it seemed perfect. Lots of room for the family and the short bed was perfect for my limited Harry homeowner and motorcycle ATV hauling needs.

I test drove an SR5 4X4 model with the 5.7 and just loved it. The truck torched the tires and the salesman just smiled. I came back from the ride and gave the sales guy my offer, which was full sticker. They had the stupid +$5,000 market adjustment on it and I said "No" to that business. While he ran off to play games with the sales manager I made the mistake of sitting in a 2006 LC.

Oh oh, I was confused. All of a sudden the perfect 07 Tundra felt cavernous and everything about the LC just fit. I tumbled out of the LC and got back in the Tundra. All of the sudden I realized that I was reaching for stuff, not bad really, but reaching none the less. The sales guy came back and said the sales manager would only come down a grand from the $5,000 adjustment. Being stupid I kept trying to "do the deal" and I said no way, I don't have to do the deal, there will be other in few weeks. So he ran back to the sales manager, and I ran back to the LC.

I played with all the usual stuff, admired the interior, sat in the back and really look at the cargo area to see if the homeowner needs could be met. I rationalized that I could lift a sheet of plywood to the top if needed and that I could always get or rent a little trailer for my other occasional needs.

By the time the salesman came back and found me sitting in the LC, I had made up my mind. When he said he could do another $500 off, I said great, offer the that deal to the next guy. I am getting one of these, and it is not going to be from you.

I left and a couple of weeks later I had found '98 LC for less than half of a new Tundra and managed to pay cash for it instead of financing it. I feel good everytime I get in it and rest of the family loves it too. Plus for some dumb reason, my neighbor with an Escalade now thinks I'm rich. What's up with that?

Good luck.

Last edited:
Great story CameraCruiser!

Ryan, although the new Tundra is a fantastic vehicle, it is very different than a LC. It really depends on your needs. The Land Cruiser is fulltime 4wd and can haul a lot of people. The LC also has a huge aftermarket if you plan to modify the vehicle. The Tundra can haul more "stuff" due to the bed, but do you need that? If you really use the bed, a pickup is hard too beat. As for me, I couldn't be without a LC!

Wise choice Cameracruiser, let someone else take a bath on a new one. BTW, you don't have to be rich to buy a Land Cruiser, but you have to be dumb to buy an Escalade.

Plus for some dumb reason, my neighbor with an Escalade now thinks I'm rich. What's up with that?

This seems to happen frequently. People know that the LC is expensive brand new (at 3 times the average car price), plus, the stigma of expensive to repair/maintain, even if they understand you paid less then them, they stick with their preconceived notions that its a rich-mans (ahem persons) car.

Not to mention, most of the 100 series I see rolling around town are well taken care of, so most people won't be able to tell whether you have the '98 from an '07. (heck I know people who wouldn't be able to tell an 80 series from a 100 series).

This seems to happen frequently. People know that the LC is expensive brand new (at 3 times the average car price), plus, the stigma of expensive to repair/maintain, even if they understand you paid less then them, they stick with their preconceived notions that its a rich-mans (ahem persons) car.

Not to mention, most of the 100 series I see rolling around town are well taken care of, so most people won't be able to tell whether you have the '98 from an '07. (heck I know people who wouldn't be able to tell an 80 series from a 100 series).

I think it is more the later. The fact that the body style has not changed other than lights and a bit of trim really makes the LC timeless. Well at least until this fall.

x2 in the LX - almost everyday someone a work takes a crack at me regarding the Lexus. Little do they know I probably paid less than a new civic!!! :cool:

I am having a similar dilema. I have an 03 100 and an 05 DC Tundra. From a practical standpoint, this is a perfect combo. The Tundra is a great truck, just harder to get around town, park, turn on tight trails, etc. I also REALLY like the full time 4WD of the 100 better. That being said, the Tundra does have A-TRAC, Stability control, Auto LSD, and for everywhere I go does great. I don't think I will ever do tough trails at Moab with either vehicle, but I want to know that I can get to the fishing hole at the end of the trail... the 100 will do it easier, but the Tundra will most certainly do it as well. The 07 Tundra has much more power, better brakes, better turning radius, but is basically the same size (05 DC vs 07 CM) and has worse ground clearance under the diffs/axles, and lower frame rails. I kind of want to trade my Tundra in on a used 100, but my wife does not want 2 of the same vehicles. I think I may just beef up the Tundra and have the best of both worlds....

-E

All this information is great. I do need the space to haul stuff that the Tundra offers but I have sat in both and the LC is VERY nice inside. The Tundra is nice also - in a different way. I have also just noticed ARB is working on lockers for the new Tundra. So that could solve my problem of the Tundra not having the lockers. How exactly does A-TRAC work? I have not owned Toyota trucks before. I have heard of this but am not familiar with it.

All this information is great. I do need the space to haul stuff that the Tundra offers but I have sat in both and the LC is VERY nice inside. The Tundra is nice also - in a different way. I have also just noticed ARB is working on lockers for the new Tundra. So that could solve my problem of the Tundra not having the lockers. How exactly does A-TRAC work? I have not owned Toyota trucks before. I have heard of this but am not familiar with it.

ATRAC uses ABS to apply brake pressure to the slipping wheel...the standard diff always sends power to the slipping wheel...by applying brake to the slipping wheel it essentially fools the diff allowing power to be sent back to the wheel with traction. All this happens in nano-seconds via an ECU/computer.

The best of both worlds, for a rig that will actually get used off-road (more aggressively than just gravel type primary roads) would be to have TRAC and front & rear lockers...but takes some $$$.

don't get overexcited about lockers. People here will gloat about them, but the reality is that -however much I love mine- you can do a lot without them, especially with ATrac. I would recommend to just use the truck for a good while and then see if you *really* need them or not. No need to jump the gun on this, can be added anytime later on.

It is sort of funny to read how much people love the ATRAC system these days.

When a similar system first surfaced on an SUV (think it was on M-B's ML320), most everyone agreed it was a good system, but nothing for hard core off roading. You just run the brakes way too hot if used during prolonged off-roading. Can never compare to having front, center, and rear diff locked.

Anything changed in the fundamental design? Or, are we just more enthusiastic about electronic gizmos these days?

When a similar system first surfaced on an SUV (think it was on M-B's ML320), most everyone agreed it was a good system, but nothing for hard core off roading. You just run the brakes way too hot if used during prolonged off-roading. Can never compare to having front, center, and rear diff locked.

Anything changed in the fundamental design? Or, are we just more enthusiastic about electronic gizmos these days?

My guess is the new algorithms controlling ATRAC have improved.

It's because it's so effective....if the particular vehicles programming is biased toward off-road.

And beg to differ against triple locks. There are places where triple lockers are better. There are also many places where TRAC is much better than triple locks. Having both is heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom