new to winching, looking at used warn, ADVICE NEEDED... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
??? Im looking at buying a old used Warn winch currently on a 74 FJ40. Seems in good shape but I know nothing about winches. What is a fair price, what do I look out for, how do I test it, mount it and what do you know about Warn and that 8000, serial # 8478971. Any advice/thoughts would be welcome. Thanks in advance....Josh

do a pull.
see if it will pull the weight of the truck just on flat ground. listen for grinding and squeaking.

Warn is always good. Parts are usually easily accessible and they last a long time. A load test is always manditory cause it might run out nice and real in nice with no load but could be pooched under load. Look for burnt markings around the windings if possible. Doesn't mean it's neccessarily bad but had been overloaded and could be in need of some repair.Make sure cable is in good condition or take that into consideration when bartering cause if the cable is not good, well... you know the saying about the chain and the weak link. Winch with broken cable equals bumper wieght. I have seen a lot of them around here for about $350USD or $500 CDN. There are some good threads in here as to building mounts for the winch and ideas as to different thing you could do. Just spend some time lookin through. I would always go with a Warn over any of those chinese/korean imports. They look ok but under stress they don't add up to a hill of beans.(never thought I would ever use that saying.. I'm turning into my dad) Just my 2 cents.Ahh stop

Happy wenching... I mean winching.

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/oldwarn.html

I bet that's the winch...great winch, cable controls, no power out. I now run a 8274-50, but that one was/is still reliable.

Test it well, replacement cables are in the $100+ range, replacement motor is like $180, relining the brake is like $50 at NAPA, some parts are just no longer available.

Someone just gave me one of those old warn winches like in the tech article..that thing pulls like a mule. I am very pleased with it. It looks more authentic, an old winch on the front of my '71 40.

Wow, thanks for all the great input. I agree, it looks sharp and rusticly authentic on the front of the old cruiser. Also, that tech article is the exact model and was a big help. Thanks for the insights and keep em coming....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom