Tighe's LX570 - general thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I just picked up a 2008 LX570, with 79k miles. SoCal truck its whole life. I was looking at a 5th gen 4Runner but now that we have a 3rd kid on the way in November (that'll be 3 under 3) we needed something larger. It will serve as a family hauler during the week, and hopefully a camping rig on the weekend. The air ride is a plus for me, because I didn't want to drive a lifted truck around town. I'd like to be able to slap on a second set of wheels/tires before taking off for a camping trip, and pump that AHC up to hi when the pavement ends. Then return to stock on Monday. Bumpers, sliders, and a rack one day perhaps, but for now I'm hoping to see how far I can get with just some knobby M/T's. I'd also like to get rid of the chrome - it's a little over the top for my taste.

I've read through a lot of threads so far, which have helped answer many questions. The only remaining question I have at the moment is whether I'm missing some consequential roof rail trim, visible adjacent to the sunroof in the photo below. About 8" of it is just missing at the same place on both sides of the truck. Is this something that should be replaced before the next rain?

IMG-9273.PNG

I've also got the typical delamination of the wood veneer - mine's above the glovebox, and a small area near the ashtray. Bummer, as these appear to be pretty expensive items to replace with OEM components. At this time I'm not sure what I'll end up doing to repair it.

IMG-9274.PNG

Otherwise it's very clean, paint looks like it'll shine up nicely, and it appears it was well taken care of. Dealer serviced which is nice, and just had the 75k miles service done. Looking forward to getting to work! My last LC was a 60 series, so this is worlds apart from what I was last tinkering with (carbs, leaf springs, etc).

IMG-7131.JPG

Last edited:
Nice find and Super low miles. Congrats. Things to keep an eye out for would be the radiator crack and water pump.
I Was also deciding on a new 4runner vs used 200 series, couldn’t be happier with my decision to go with the LC. I got the upgrade bug big time and can’t ever leave anything alone. Tax return went to my bumpers, sliders, lift and wheels/tires. Congrats on the new kiddo, Having that 3rd kid on way will get you a nice tax credit for 2020 😀!

I have seen nice results with people using a wrap to cover/replace the worn veneer.

The LX's active height control is a hydraulic system, not air-based.

I'm also missing a few pieces of that roof track trim - it's not important and will not cause any leakage. There are threaded bolt holes in those tracks - some are used for your existing roof rails, some are covered. Those are the only "entry points" into the interior, and so long as those are sealed, you won't have water ingress.

Surprised to see that delamination on the interior trim. I was under the impression these pieces were real wood. I would wrap them with quality vinyl.

Fyi someone has a thread started referring to a rear ladder buy for the LX570. That might be an option.

Thanks for the replies so far. So nice to come back to such an active forum, and nice to have a reason to beyond general lurking!

Last edited:
Congrats on the new truck! Just curious, how is the clearcoat on the roof? Any failure? The paint looks a little hazy up there.

I replaced almost all my roof rail trim since the little that wasn't missing was badly faded. It looks like you need 75551-60110 (left hand side). Right hand side is 75551-60111.

Could anybody chime in on whether the 18” x 8” 100 series wheels will fit on the LX570? My brother has an extra set laying around, and if they fit it would save me from having to purchase off-road rims. He’s a few hours away so I can’t just pop over for a test fit.

I believe they are p/n 69479A, photo below.
I have looked at this thread:
100 vs 200 wheel bolt pattern

...and this one:
OEM Wheel Weights

...but it’s still a little inconclusive from what I’ve read. Bolt pattern matches, and I assume the bore’s the same. I am hoping to avoid spacers, so I’d like to determine if they’ll fit around the 200 series brakes without any modification.

Thanks for any input!

14C75646-713E-4EEB-A71B-E43F438C9C11.jpeg

Could anybody chime in on whether the 18” x 8” 100 series wheels will fit on the LX570? My brother has an extra set laying around, and if they fit it would save me from having to purchase off-road rims. He’s a few hours away so I can’t just pop over for a test fit.

I believe they are p/n 69479A, photo below.
I have looked at this thread:
100 vs 200 wheel bolt pattern

...and this one:
OEM Wheel Weights

...but it’s still a little inconclusive from what I’ve read. Bolt pattern matches, and I assume the bore’s the same. I am hoping to avoid spacers, so I’d like to determine if they’ll fit around the 200 series brakes without any modification.

Thanks for any input!

View attachment 2365830

It's a 5.5" bolt pattern, so they will fit.

As an example, the Rock warriors are a very popular choice for both 100s and 200s.

They will fit!

As an example, the Rock warriors are a very popular choice for both 100s and 200s.
Thanks @radman! Guess it’s time to start tire shopping now!
I have really enjoyed reading through your build thread, btw!

Thanks @radman! Guess it’s time to start tire shopping now!
I have really enjoyed reading through your build thread, btw!

No prob!
275/70/18 is a great start!
305/70/18 if you want to be a rad dad

Edit: just saw that you want to avoid spacers, so you might need to stick around the 275/70

Last edited:
It's a 5.5" bolt pattern, so they will fit.

Small fix here, the 200 uses 5x150mm. 5.5" is the recent Jeep wheel pattern. Lots of rim in that pattern of course, but the offsets are all bad for our rig.

They will fit. You will need spacers depending on which tire you choose to fit, to either clear the UCA, or to fix scrub radius. Those only come into play if you are sizing up significantly. I have run 275/65r18 with no spacer and no rubbing.

Surprised to see that delamination on the interior trim. I was under the impression these pieces were real wood. I would wrap them with quality vinyl.

It is the absolute thinnest of wood veneer. I was not able to find any shops that would redo the veneer given the plastic backing. Craft Custom in TX hydrodipped mine and came out looking great.

Small fix here, the 200 uses 5x150mm. 5.5" is the recent Jeep wheel pattern. Lots of rim in that pattern of course, but the offsets are all bad for our rig.

They will fit. You will need spacers depending on which tire you choose to fit, to either clear the UCA, or to fix scrub radius. Those only come into play if you are sizing up significantly. I have run 275/65r18 with no spacer and no rubbing.
Thanks for the clarification. Given the clearances offered by the AHC lift, I was hoping to get slightly larger tires - 275/70R18 , or 285/70R18, however I was also really hoping to avoid spacers. I wonder if perhaps these are not the best rims to use to meet these criteria...

You will rub the UCA at some point. You can go out and measure how much vertical room you have to it, but AHC lift doesn't move the UCA.
Yes, a less positive offset wheel (RWs at 50mm, Evo Corse at 40mm etc) will help this.

Small fix here, the 200 uses 5x150mm.

my bad! looks like the 69479A your brother has are a 60mm offset, same as your stock wheels and most other oem wheels (except the RWs @ 50mm).

A random question, this time regarding regearing, for anyone inclined to chime in.

I am considering a set of 295/70/18 Yokohama Geolander X/AT tires, which according to the online tire calcs, translates to a 34.3" circumference. These would be a second set of wheels, which I would use when I go camping/offroading, a few times a year. The primary set of wheels would remain the stock rims with stock sized tires. The truck will not be built/armored, but would be loaded up with family and gear when camping.

Would tires this size add any measurable amount of stress to the driveline, or is it negligible to the point that it can be ignored? I do NOT want to regear, and will go with a smaller tire if need be. Truck is an 08 LX570, so it has the 6 speed trans. From what I've read, a 34" tire falls right on the line of the "to regear or not to regear" question, so I'm not sure which way to go.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom