New to me Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Take a look at some skid plates of choice for CAT protection. I'm running the ASFIR transmission skid only for that purpose, I don't go offroad. But, had one cat stolen a couple years ago and OEM replacements for the 98-02s are discontinued so aftermarket is the only option there. ALL of the aftermarket cats are inferior to OEM so protect the ones you've got as long as you can.

Nice clean looking 100! It was already mentioned but definitely replace the heater T's and if you're going to be out on the trails, I'd replace the radiator sooner rather than later. When they start turning brown, their reliability is dwindling. Make sure you get the drive shaft U joints and slip joints lubed up as well. Lastly, it looks like there's a stray wire in this picture.

View attachment 3442208

What's up with the battery terminal connectors? I would love to replace mine with something nicer, maybe something with space to add some accessories and not look like crap. Whatever that is looks nice and beefy! Nice to see another member from Puget Sound!

Take a look at some skid plates of choice for CAT protection. I'm running the ASFIR transmission skid only for that purpose, I don't go offroad. But, had one cat stolen a couple years ago and OEM replacements for the 98-02s are discontinued so aftermarket is the only option there. ALL of the aftermarket cats are inferior to OEM so protect the ones you've got as long as you can.
They still show as available on some Lexus parts sites, but if I call they will say they don't have them anymore? And I guess I am wondering how that skid plate would protect your cats. All they need is a socket set and they can take that aluminum plate off in like 5 minutes right? What I am missing there? Just to deter someone from sliding under there real quick? Or you put some blue locktite on there to make it harder to remove?

Also, available or not, $1,500 each when you need two???

1695958676972.png

It would be great if they are available again, I had multiple dealers check and there were none left in the country and the system wouldn’t let them order any more in Dec. 2021. I’ll have to check that out tomorrow, I’d love to replace my aftermarket with OEM.

Yes on the skid, it’s just a deterrent to make them go to the next easier truck where they don’t have to deal with that. Some keyed bolts would probably help even more, but I think they usually just go around with a sawzall so anything to make it less convenient.

Sweet looking rig! Feel like I saw this on Marketplace or somewhere. I'm just south of you in Oregon.

How would you go about doing that?
As mentioned, a skid plate should help deter a thief and make them look for an easier target. Some of those plates are so nice and thick that they might become a target themselves! Maybe attaching them with bolts that aren't very common like tamper proof torx or 12 pt like ARP head bolts or BMW 6pt.

Also depends where you park it, but I saw evidence of catalytic theft in supermarket parking lots, so they can take it in a jiffy. Mine were stolen from a Holliday Inn "secured" parking lot in Orlando. Now I have cheap aftermarkets, hate them but not very worried anymore.

I was looking at those Battery Posts from Slee, expensive but super nice! Wish they made some smaller ones, way bigger than what I might need..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom