New to me 91 4Runner questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tigerstripe40

SILVER Star
Threads
I've been in land Cruiser FJ40 world for quite some time.
I just picked up a 1991 4Runner SR50 V6 with 218,000 miles on the clock. And I feel I got a KILLER deal on the truck.

The body and interior is pretty nice, but the trucks drivetrain needs a little work.

This rig isn't going to be used for extreme offroading, I have the fj40 for that. Mostly long range trips out to the desert camping, and the like.

First thing is, the truck runs, but it's running pretty rough. The truck has an intermittant rod knock. SOmetimes it's there, sometimes it's not. FWIW, I am planning on replacing or rebuilding the motor at some time. But when I rev the truck over 3500 rpm it gets VERY rough.

The head gasket recall was done, and it looks like NEW heads were put onto the truck at about 119k miles.

I found a rebuilt shortblock locally for $1000. I am leaning towards this route, as well as new OEM head gaskets, and the ARP head stud kit from DOA Racing .

However, I have found a motor with 60k miles for $1750 locally.
I did find a motor with 40k miles for $950, but it's teh 3VZ out of a Camry, which I am informed won't work. Is this true?

Next, the fan clutch idler bracket is broken. I have a new one on the way. But in the mean time the alternator is not hooked up. I tried to turn on the A/C but the light on the switch didn't come on, and the compressor didn't spin up. I can't find the fuse or the relays for the AC system. CAn anybody point me in the right direction?

Lastly, the Cruise Control doesn't seem to be working properly. I hit the button, and the 'Cruise' light comes on solid, but when I hit the set button it doesn't set the speed. I know that if there is a problem with one of the components, the 'Cruise' light will blink. THis isn't happening. I think it might also be a fuse, but I Can't find it on the drives kick panel nor under the hood.

Thanks for any input!!!

where are you located? I have a 91 and the FSM's you're welcome to borrow to copy sections if you're local. I'm in Sacramento.

Check Marlin's BBS. I've seen quite a few 3.0's being parted out. Also do a search for ATTARCO. They import Japanese engines. Others may have negative things to say about them but I've used 3 in the past (20R, two Nissan) and never had a problem.

Tony

sactocruiser said:
where are you located? I have a 91 and the FSM's you're welcome to borrow to copy sections if you're local. I'm in Sacramento.

Check Marlin's BBS. I've seen quite a few 3.0's being parted out. Also do a search for ATTARCO. They import Japanese engines. Others may have negative things to say about them but I've used 3 in the past (20R, two Nissan) and never had a problem.

Tony

Thanks for the offer!

I am in Salt Lake City.

I did find the FSM for the 93.
And I figured out most of the problems.

Still have a rod knock though, and I am SERIOUSLY considering a 5VZ swap.
Taking care of alot of General Maintenance issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom