New to Me '86 BJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

elkaholic

Left turn ...freakin wipers!
SILVER Star
Threads
Since the truck has been seen at the latest CLT get together, I figured that I would start a thread here ... especially since @GLTHFJ60 was insistent :flipoff2:

The back story is that when I got out of grad school, before I embarked on life in the so-called real world, I spend a few weeks in Europe where I first saw a 70 series LC. Kinda fell in love with these trucks then and, like a lot of us, was amazed that Mr. T refused to bring these trucks to the US.

Fast forward tw(mumble mumble)-odd years and this truck comes up in a scan in the Atlanta area. By the time I called, it was sold ... then that deal fell through, so I quasi-committed to go see it in late Septamber. After a few hours of looking and a quick phone call with @1978HJ45 to make me feel a little more comfortable with the breathtaking power of the 3B ;), the deal was cemented and I started the trek back from Atlanta up I-85 in a truck that requires a calendar to measure 0-60 times and can make 70 MPH if driven off a cliff ... with Saturday afternoon traffic on Atlanta's 285 and Clemson having a home game, there was a lot of suction holding me to the seat.

It's here now and everytime I drive it, I get a big smile on my face ...

Details, details

From the vin, the truck is a 09/1986 build date, BJ73LV-MRW standard. It was originally sold in Spain and appears to have been serviced for quite a bit of its life at Toyota of Valencia Spain. It has a 90HP 3B diesel, 24V electrical, H55 transmission, and removable FRP top. Because it was a Spanish truck, it has a "roll bar" on which the back seat shoulder belts are mounted. It has approximately 248,000 kms on the odometer when I bought it.

The standard trim has rubber flooring, vinyl seats (which have been recovered) and a minimal instrument array - Speedo, Fuel, Temp. It does have the cool and practically useless Altimeter / Inclinometer combo ...

The truck has some sort of add-a leaves on it. Anti-Inversion shackles that are mounted upside down and backwards, a front bumber that started life as a ARB, a 24V 12K winch, a European rear bumper, and an ARB roof rack.

Near Term Plans

:steer::steer::steer::steer::steer::steer::steer:
and enjoy
I do need to take care of a few warts and add a few items (in no real order)
  • Eliminate the wheel spacers (especially since there are spacers between the hub and spacers on the front) Complete
  • Get new lug nuts since there were 4 different styles on the truck with three different hex wrenches required Complete
  • Get rid of the cobbled together air intake – would like to go OEM, but do not know if that is possible since parts are NLA. May have to go with aluminum tube and silicone hoses a la street tuner crowd :grinpimp:
  • Verify engine health through compression test and “diesel tune up” as soon as I can find a competent small diesel shop … or get the stuff to do it myself
  • Verify accessory wiring is up to my standards
  • Get AC working and the compressor aligned (compressor pulley is crooked compared with crank)
  • Add a real oil pressure gauge and temp gauge and probably a tachometer, possibly a pyro.
  • Rebuild the front knuckles
  • Replace AVM lockouts with OEM or Warn – prefer OEM, but I figure that might be cost prohibitive
  • Then the ususal ... suspension refresh, better tires, etc.
I will start a build thread in the 70 section ....

Pics
I will get some more, but for now, we'll just use the poseur ones I shot for insurance purposes.

PA040093_zpsfc3f7f3c.jpg

c1b1fe4e-9e0f-487c-98ad-f4031cfacb57_zpsd0a0a939.jpg

PA040095_zps57631c6d.jpg

PA040101_zpsb501d117.jpg

PA040096_zpsc2c127b8.jpg

PA040102_zps0436c32c.jpg

PA040098_zps11769922.jpg

PA040099_zpsbfd92be4.jpg

PA040100_zpsb50bcf93.jpg

Last edited:
If I were to get a 70 series, it'd either be a BJ73 or a BJ74. So much jealousy right now.

That thing is beautiful!!

Thanks man. Rafael put it best, I think. It has been used as designed, but does not appear to have been abused ... Frame is solid. There is none of the "rust in typical places, easily repaired". The clutch is a little grabby at times, but with 150K miles on it, not surprising.

WOW. I would love that have that truck! Get in touch with my friend Wes wesintl here on mud. He has had one for the last 11 years.

that truck KICKS ASS!

At least two of us had minds that went to the same place ... :lol: :slap:

While I dig you're new rig, it's lacking in a particular department I'll graciously help you out in.

See, to really represent the original market, it actually NEEDS the superior VM 250 engine, which is a powerhouse compared to the 3B, plus you get cool badges like the avatar attached to this post.

Since your specimen is in such stellar condition and in the spirit of Cruiser karma, I'll unselfishly swap you engines, so your's can shine it's little light that much brighter.

Lemme know!!

Serious request, if I may.

Would it be possible to get a straight side shot of the passenger seat when in the most forward position?

This pic makes it appear you've all kinds of space for rear ingress/egress.

image.jpg

Chris -

I'll get you a picture .... note than I am 6'2" and approaching the half century mark (much faster than I'd like, I might add). It'll take a small crane and several shoehorns to to get me in there. The seat clearly had - at one point - an one touch tilt and slide, but the cable that releases the slide is MIA (the housing isn't, but the cable is) ..

I seem to recall a certain hopped up 1FZ-FE is destined to replace the VM 250 engine in yours:hmm:, so obviously it's not too much of a step up in power ;) ... I think I'll take the longevity of the 3B over the additional risk of whiplash and shorter engine life of the VM .... I'll just keep chugging along and waiving back to the folks that waive at me with one finger extended .... :steer:

It sucks that once again the north American version only came in 6cyl gasser :D

image.jpg

This vehicle is too cool! I'm very excited for you, Sam. @BBQ BOY almost bought a similar one in Atlanta not long ago - they must have the corner of the 70 market or something.

Nice Score!!

@Delancy

Per your request. Apologize about the rotation, but Photobucket is starting to piss me off ....

PA270163-tn_zps906b9f34.jpg

It sucks that once again the north American version only came in 6cyl gasser :D

View attachment 958800

I think they were available with a 4cyl gasser as well ...

This vehicle is too cool! I'm very excited for you, Sam. @BBQ BOY almost bought a similar one in Atlanta not long ago - they must have the corner of the 70 market or something.

I think it may be the same one ... the prior sale fell through, so I grabbed it.

you could get a 2 door trooper diesel here though

They may have been slower than the BJ73 :lol:

Nice Score!!

Thanks ....

Very cool rig Sam, congrats!!

Very cool rig Sam, congrats!!

Don be thinkin' bout no tree fiddys, now....

Appears your seats and pic require the same contortionist training as mine..... :)

image.jpg

Funny story....

BEFORE figuring out the right hand seat was the ONLY side meant to access the back seat, crawled all 6' 1" , 230lbs of a$$ between the driver seat and B pillar.

image.jpg

Since I'm gonna burn at the stake for the evil intentions I have, half inclined to put a Heep seat base on both sides, since 'Mericansized.

Chris I did not know English is your second language;)

So far only 325s ( 5.3L)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom