New to Me '86 BJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought I had missed it as well .... but it is now domiciled in the same state as you ;)

I hope to do some electrical work and replumb the air intake this weekend

Sounds like a lot of my past week Sam, I am hip deep in new horn, fuel pump, fuel gauge, and fog light circuits. Let me know if I can help, I'll be around all weekend if Heather has not made plans for me I am unaware of.

Heyyyyyyyy, I thought that we already established that was your idea Chris. I am not anti diesel, especially when it comes stock from Toyota with one. I just feel that when transplanting into a 60 or 80 for average use a Vortec just makes more sense :)

On another subject, there is an Italian Nun on my TV singing "Like a Virgin" on the Today show. You just cant make this stuff up.......

You just cant make this stuff up.......

I can, but I have that kinda imagination.

IF, being operative, Sam signed on for a 3B to Vortec swap, it'd be the second....

Can't wait to see the completion of the first, but conflicted since I wanted to be the first posting youtube videos of a 73 doing 4 wheel burnouts, when the 1FZ goes in.

Keep your eye on Stan!!

You turn your head for a second and there'll be a Chebby sitting in place of the 3B!!!

I know ... he and I had had some discussions about a Chebby transplant in the past (in an 80).

Sounds like a lot of my past week Sam, I am hip deep in new horn, fuel pump, fuel gauge, and fog light circuits. Let me know if I can help, I'll be around all weekend if Heather has not made plans for me I am unaware of.

Thanks for the offer Stan. I think I have everything in hand. My work will not be as tidy as yours, but last weekend, I figured out what two of the "odd relays" were (control circuits for the aftermarket AC system which does not work .... I think it has a freon leak). My plans are
  1. A low amperage constant hot 24V/12V converter for the memory side of the 12V stereo connected to the OEM fuesed 24V constant hot terminal thet Mr. T so thoughtfully placed under the hood.
  2. A switched 24V/12V converter rated for a continuous 30A at 12V (peak at 60A). It will have a 24V circuit breaker in the power feed and will utilize the fused accessory switched connection that Mr. T so thoughtfully provided to trip a 24V relay placed after the breaker to turn the converter on / off. The breaker and relay will be mounted within 1 foot of the battery. Said Converter will feed to a 12V Blue Sea fuse box that will in turn feed
    • Radio
    • Comms
    • Power outlets (cigarette lighter style and USB)
    • Future Gauge additions and lighting for gauge additions.
I need to get a few more marine grade terminals and a few more bits of adhesive lined heat shrink, then I'll start playing with electricity ... :hillbilly:

This past weekend's electrical fun is now documented in my build thread here :flush:

First Blackstone Report

Thought I'd post this here as well as on my build thread. Got my first Blackstone report back. Oil had 2,900 Kms on it and about 12 months or so. Not bad, but silicon and chrome are a bit high. Given the cobbled together air intake and the amount of dust inside the body panels, I am hoping it is merely poor air filtration. I have installed new gaskets in the air filter canister and will be installing my new, used OEM air hoses from filter to intake manifold this week.

Attachments

• Blackstone 20141109.pdf
    511.4 KB · Views: 133
This truck is now living with @forrest5000.

I compression tested it Wednesday morning at Eric's request and got 400 psi plus on all 4 cylinders, cold. My test gauge bleeds down a bit and by the time I could get out to take a picture of the gauge, it was at 400 for each cylinder. I was able to watch #4 from inside while I cranked and it peaked at 450 and bled to about 400 by the time I took a picture, so I am guessing all 4 were near the new spec of 427 psi. Not bad for 253,000 Kms on the engine.

That sealed the deal and Eric drove her home this evening.

I'll be cruiser less for a couple of weeks ....

Last edited:
There will be another BJ73 in Gastonia
Not sure if you remember meeting me but I have the Black 1997 LX450 w/ OME lift on 37" Goodyear MTR
I just purchased a 1992 BJ73 from Portugal to add to my stable of Landcruisers. It unfortunatly does have the original VM motor. I'll likely run the motor until it dies but thats not stopping me from looking at options now.
It was put onto a container ship last week and I hope to see it in Savannah about this time next month for pickup.
I would like to discuss with you your experience so far. I've looked through a few of your posts which are great.
Attched a few pictures from the seller before it was picked up.

6036314094-toyota-bj-73-toyota.jpg

6085174180-toyota-bj-73-toyota.jpg

IMG_20180730_180638.jpg

6065847714-toyota-bj-73-toyota.jpg

6099940990-toyota-bj-73-toyota.jpg

Thanks
I very bad with names
He must have been the one I saw in Gastonia then

Did you get another one?

Probably so. Yes I have a HZJ77 now. Longer wheelbase 4 door version with a bit more power

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom