New to me: '66 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looks like I'm the proud new owner of a new project :)!
I just bought Sean's '66 FJ40. Well, the body and frame atleast. I'll be picking it up sometime next month once I have a trailer lined up. I plan on doing a "frame-off" rebuild. Going to start with the frame (strip, galvanize, paint) and bodywork as that's what I have at the moment.

Here are my questions....(Reminder: I'm a Toyota Noob...)

What engine would you all suggest?
I could go with an F or 2F, but what about a 22RE with EFI. Would it fit? Is that doable? I'd like EFI for off camber, but maybe a 2F with propane. Am I talking out my a!s?
I don't really want to go the 350ci route.

I'll probably be running 35"s.
27 or 30 spline birfs? Longfields maybe? http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com
Trans/Xfer?
I don't know. My knowledge is in Ford/Jeep/Chevy drivetrains. Any good manuals available for a '66? I already have a TLC Chassis & Body Repair Manual that covers 67-75. I hope it'll be of use for the '66.

Well, I figure I have a few months until I need to worry about it. I'll work on the body and frame until spring and then worry about a drivetrain. Guess I'll be spending a lot more time on Mud.

I see a lot of evenings and weekends sandblasting and in the paint booth in my future. I'm not going for perfection (as that would never happen). Just going for solid. My goal is to run it at CMCC this year.

I'd like to make this street legal someday (just for around town), but I'm building it as a trail rig for now. I want to trailer it so if I beat the p!ss out of it, I can still get home.

I haven't even seen it in person yet (except for pictures) but I'm looking forward to dirtying my tools. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
1.JPG
2.JPG

Congrats Bill, Old school to go with your new school:cheers:

That is awesome for both you and Sean, Bill! Great to see it stay local!

:beer::beer::beer:

Bill, if you plan on driving it on the road, you will want the 2F. The 22RE doesn't have the beans for the road. Especially with 35" tires. If you plan to trailer it only, using it just as a trail rig, the 22RE will work fine, but you will then need a marlin crawler plus low gears in the transer case. John Embrey did just that using my old mini, the ENTIRE drivetrain, including the wiring harness, and even the dash. I'm sure you've seen his beast thingie. Incredible crawler. and yes, I still miss my mini, victim of fatal frame rot.

I'd just stick with the 2F. Or you could put a 350 crate in there. Good luck.

Very nice, look forward to seeing what you do with it. As for drive train, depends on what you want to spend. I had always wanted to build a FJ40 with a 2.7 motor out of a Tacoma. That is what is in my truck and it is a great motor, the same as the 22 series engines, just a little better numbers. You can get a stand alone harness from ORS, it is expensive but worth it if you don't want to mess with wires. Behind the engine you can then install a W56 5 speed and dual cases, same thing I have in the 4 Runner or one case with 4.7 gears like Sean. Probably have to extend the wheel base to have decent driveshaft length, which you can get by flipping the springs and changing the spring perches to longer ones with additional holes in them like RuffStuff sells.

Run a mini truck rear axle, either and IFS one for width or any earlier solid axle one to better match the front width that you already have. Or use an FJ60/62 front axle and IFS mini truck rear axle for a little extra width and stability.

Let me know if you want any other details, have it somewhat worked out in my head.

Another option is what we are doing to my Dads FJ40, which is putting a 4.3 v6 and th350 auto in teh truck with a 4 speed t-case, but you could also use a 3 speed case.

I'll do some more reading over the weekend before my flight . I had looked at going for an auto tranny but there was more modding than I wanted to get my feet wet on..
For now, I guess a 2F and a 4 speed would be the best bet (I like the low 1st gear on the 4 speed). Less modification and a dependable combination.
Like I said above. I have some time to work it out in my head. I'll upload some photos once I start tearing into it in January.
Thanks all!

I would talk to Gary and get in line for the next good running 3FE from a 62 he gets... drop the 1800$ on the 5 speed and run a split case with 62 or 60 axles.

Spring it over while you are at it..... on 0" lift alcans, add rear discs... and then you've got something : )

I am not sure if the engine mount brackets for the 3FE are in the exact same position as with the OE F that you would have had in the '66 but they are simple to relocate... that would not be a show stopper.

The H55F 5-speed came behind a 3F (carb'ed) in S. American J6 series.... housing bolt right up... get ya a late '86-'87 split case (longer) and it bolts right to the 5-speed.... nice low 1st gear, Overdrive 5th, and pretty stout tranny.

I can look at the 3FE I am about to pull for my buddy's FJ-40 and let you know what I see as far as the brackets go....

Sounds good. Appreciate it.

i have a 87 2f short block that you could have for almost free if ya want it, and i think jeff is getting a set of 4.10 fine spline axles that will be for sale...they would work nice under that thing...or maybe gary has some 60 series axles to sell;p

Zuc:
Let me know how much. I can make a road trip once I get back to the States in January.

Jeff,
I've been reading up on the propane setup. Looks like a cool idea.

Well, I have to go finish packing. Catch you all when I get back. I'll post if/when I get the chance.

Zuc:
Let me know how much. I can make a road trip once I get back to the States in January.

its a short block with the clutch/flywheel/bellhousing still attached, the distributor is in it, and the starter might be there too, its been sitting for a while without a head on it, so the cylinders are a bit rusty, but with some oiling i think it would free up, i'd definitely suggest having it honed or bored to clean it up and putting new rings and bearings in it...and maybe gary has an extra cylinder head?...$60 and its yours;)

Sounds good. Mind holding it for me for a few weeks?

I saw Gary listed a 2F head up for sale. I PM'd him. I think it's time to stop buying stuff until I actually see the 40. Can't wait till January.
Incase you all don't hear from me, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
4 Low Forever!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom