New to me 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

murf

Lifer
Threads
I purchased a 1985 60 series that has 167K on it from the original owner from P.V.

I love the 4 spd trans and the old school manual choke too :)

He has too many cars and didnt want to spend anymore $$ on it. It was running way rich, power steering leak too, door handle broken, and a few other minor issues.

She is an ugly duckling but with some TLC and some help from other CSC'rs with parts I can give her a new life and make her good for another 15++ years. The body is rough but the record keeping (which I received just recently) and maintenance was phenomenal. There are no leaks except a power steering hose under this truck!

Replaced within the last 40K miles:

Clutch, rear main, ps pump rebuild, starter, radiator, alternator, wheel bearings repacked, f&r brakes, trunions /axle resealed and packed, all drivelines fluids changed, etc. A good base to work from.

No, there will be no body work on this rig (believe it!) except buffing some oxidized paint where there aren't dents (both sides - his kids took it out several times :rolleyes:). The focus will be on mechanically being in good working order and leaving the body as is.

Chk out the 6 point roll bar the PO installed :eek:
IMG_0114.jpg

More pics please...:)

Cool! A lifted, mildly built 60 is still my favorite "looking" 4x4. There is just something classic about the lines.

Typos sent from my HTC EVO using the IH8MUD app...

Candy-ass red. I think we're seeing a trend here.;p

...and the old school manual choke too.
for today's generation of thugs and tweakers, that's also known as 1985 theft deterent (but only on cold days). :lol: Combine that with "Where the hell is Reverse?!?!" and you should be golden...

Hey Murf, if you get a chance, stop by or I could stop by and take a closer look.

Loves it! :cheers:

for today's generation of thugs and tweakers, that's also known as 1985 theft deterent (but only on cold days). :lol: Combine that with "Where the hell is Reverse?!?!" and you should be golden...

Very true - :lol::lol: lol

You must of missed the "on a budget" part...

Hey Murf, if you get a chance, stop by or I could stop by and take a closer look.

Loves it! :cheers:

Anytime...you know where I am. ill give you the nickel tour.

More pics please...:)

Sorry - no other "before" pictures. Gonna have to wait for the "afters"

Very nice find Murf. Was the stereo original too?

No, it had an old school pioneer supertuner casette that was dead. I have a new Pioneer deck going in w/ a Ipod hookup
thumb.gif
, new front door speakers and 6x9's in boxes for the rear.

Thanks guys, it is fun and hope to get her on the trail sometime soon. No worrys on scratching the paint <shout out to Brother Rob> :hillbilly:

Got it to pass emissions with flying colors just the other day. Turns out the carb was already gone over in the past and all it needed was vacuum hose repacement and correct rerouting, a vacuum valve replacement, get the air pump and egr to be plumbed right. I also burned up the old gas and ran premium.

Heck I might go from 7 mpg (really, it was REAL rich) up to 11?! Woot!

Found hatch strut / bolt replacements through Reid supply off of the 60 FAQ's. Great info as usual on MUD - I'm finding myself lurking over in the 60's section now and then these days. Good stuff ~

Got suspension bushings and other misc from MAF coming in too.

I was thinking that 1985 seemed "not too old". BUT putting that in perspective, in 1985 a 25 year old vehicle wouldve been a 1960 model year which really seems old looking at it that way. :eek:

Where does the time go?

Got it to pass emissions with flying colors just the other day. :clap:

...Found hatch strut / bolt replacements through Reid supply off of the 60 FAQ's.

Nice on emissions! Mine went through with a breeze after I put on a new cat. :)

The hatch struts I just changed out required cutting the bolts from the toyos. Stabilus from O'reilly. It was about fifty bucks.

Nice on emissions! Mine went through with a breeze after I put on a new cat. :)

The hatch struts I just changed out required cutting the bolts from the toyos. Stabilus from O'reilly. It was about fifty bucks.

Yes, unfortunately the struts dont come off the studs and have to be screwed out or cut off like you mention. The screw in ball studs for those rear struts to mount to are no longer available from Toyota so this was a great source find.

Got it to pass emissions with flying colors just the other day. Turns out the carb was already gone over in the past and all it needed was vacuum hose repacement and correct rerouting, a vacuum valve replacement, get the air pump and egr to be plumbed right. I also burned up the old gas and ran premium.

Heck I might go from 7 mpg (really, it was REAL rich) up to 11?! Woot!

Found hatch strut / bolt replacements through Reid supply off of the 60 FAQ's. Great info as usual on MUD - I'm finding myself lurking over in the 60's section now and then these days. Good stuff ~
Got suspension bushings and other misc from MAF coming in too.
I was thinking that 1985 seemed "not too old". BUT putting that in perspective, in 1985 a 25 year old vehicle wouldve been a 1960 model year which really seems old looking at it that way. :eek:

Where does the time go?

What or whom were you doing 26 years ago.....now those are the mamories.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom