New Shoes - Nokian Outpost nAT LT275/65r18 (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I too enjoy the underrated Michelin Defenders, though recently swapped them out for Nokian Outpost AT (not the newer nAT) in a 285/70/17...which are just a hair under 33". I was looking specifically for an A/T tire in a P-metric size and have had good first hand experiences with Nokian tires in the past; I was also looking at the Toyo AT3's but was more interested in the all weather compound that might better handle the four seasons here in the NE area without necessitating a true winter tire.

Initial impressions (approx. 2,500 miles in), are that the Outpost are almost silent when new, and are up to the task when towing/trailering. They are just starting to pick up a bit of hum at highway speeds with the windows down. Moreover, compared to the Defenders, it gives up a fair amount of wet grip and braking performance in the rain, and exhibit more roll, though with the taller sidewall that's not at all unexpected.

Photos here
Excellent! Glad we will end up with a few different perspectives on these tires. I'm hopeful there won't be major differences in performance between the AT and nAT variants. Nokian describes "cosmetic" changes for the nAT, targeted toward "the more aesthetically driven North American market." 😜

I am mostly curious how things will shake out between LT and P-metric versions of the tire. The tread depth is quite different (18/32" vs 14/32"), the LT have an extra layer of aramid in the belt, the sidewall structure is clearly different, etc. I'm not sure if there is a significant compound difference between the two or not as with the Toyo AT3 LT vs P. Hopefully we can get some more LT-metric users chiming in eventually. We will have some nice comparison for the P-metric once @Couvi gets his.

It's good to know about the diminished wet weather performance compared to the Defenders. We haven't had much rain in the past month, so it's not something I've had a chance to test yet.

This tool HERE is handy for converting pressures for the same load rating when going from P to E for other folks out there.

Example for my particular tire specs
View attachment 3452485
This is a really convenient conversion tool. Thank you! It took a second scrolling down to find the pressure converter, but this is definitely better than working through the Toyo table.

I like that this calculator is more precise than Toyo's 5 psi increments for LT. The calculator gives my equivalent pressures as 37 front and 40 rear. 40 psi all round is riding beautifully, with minimal lateral deflection when cornering, so I think I'll stick with that for now.

Last edited:
I ran a set on 275/60R20 AT (made in Russia) LX570 and beat on them hard. They looked a bit tattered but never skipped a beat and were super silent.

I am waiting for the 295/70R18 to be made.

I loved them and wore very well.

Sold the truck

I put a set of Nokian Outpost AT 285-75-16 on my 2001 LC primarily as a winter setup, ran them last winter in sierra epic winterness. Driving from coast to mtns in CA is basically a wet to slush to powder kind of experience(hopefully, at least ;) and the reverse when headed back to the coast, as a result you get to see how the treads work in all those various wintery conditions ...these really did quite well as a M+S rated vs full-on snow tire. As stated earlier in this thread Nokian has a great rep in winter lands ...I was intrigued to put these onto the 16s and run them as my trail tires and winter tires. I also have a set of TRD Pro 18s from '23 tundra that have michelin LTX? I think, which i have been very happy with for around town.
A question as we gather more experiences with this tire: are you running the P or LT version of the Outpost AT?

I ran a set on 275/60R20 AT (made in Russia) LX570 and beat on them hard. They looked a bit tattered but never skipped a beat and were super silent.

I am waiting for the 295/70R18 to be made.

I loved them and wore very well.

Sold the truck
Awesome. Were they the LT or P version? Hope they get your size through production soon!

I am following this thread..
Currently running 285/60/18 KO2's on my stock 2019 LC. LT tires running 40 PSI. I rarely load the rig up to need this load and dont love how the ride is on these tires, ie Potholes at highway speeds are terrible on these things..
Located in the PNW and live up a steep hill that gets icy and I ski a lot. The KO2's are pretty good in slush and ice that we get here but I read the the Outpost should be much better on the snow and ice. I'm 90% on the highway, a trip to Moab each year, dirt roads around here aren't too rugged but getting to fishing holes in Idaho there's a bit of shale however.
I sometimes tow a 5000 lb trailer full of sand and/or mulch..
About to pull the trigger on Outpost nAT 275/65/18 SL. Very slightly narrower and taller than stock should enhance the snow traction and will be good in mud. But like you, iH8MUD.. relying on the group here to make a good decision.. Should I go for LT?

Am I about to make a mistake or is this a great tire for me?

Thanks all for the advice!

Always go LT in my book. To me like comparing a 4R (P metric) and LC (LT)
One thing with this particular tire the Load Range of the LT is much higher:

LT275/65 R 18 123/120S​

max load 3420 lb, up to 112 mph These are an E range tire.. so 123/120s at 80PSI. My understanding is I need to run these at around 45-48psi?

My KO2's are D range tires 118/115S at 65PSI. I fill them to 40..

How will the higher PSI change the ride? Back to the D/E/SL load debate ;)

No way I would run 40+ PSI in those tires unless towing a super heavy load.

There is a guy here that can/will tell you PSI but use caulk and make a mark on the tire and it will tell you if over inflated or not.

I will always choose to be more heavy duty...so LT wins always for me.

No way I would run 40+ PSI in those tires unless towing a super heavy load.

There is a guy here that can/will tell you PSI but use caulk and make a mark on the tire and it will tell you if over inflated or not.

I will always choose to be more heavy duty...so LT wins always for me.
After filling out the Tire Pressure calculator my memory has been renewed. Now I recall that the KO2's require a higher tire pressure to get the load causing as the E rated, It's close but I can safely run a couple PSI lower pressure in the E than the D KO2's.. Like you mentioned no need to actually pump them to 40 unless towing.

Leaning towards the LT's now. Thanks.

I'm super happy with the LT performance and am running at 37-40 PSI which is appropriate for the load according to the charts. What I can vouch for at this point:
  1. Stiffer sidewall produces far more accurate steering and secure cornering compared to my old P-metric 50% tread Defenders.
  2. Somehow (magically) this has not translated to meaningful decreased comfort over rough roads--the tell here is that I'm not switching the AVS damping knob all the way over "comfort" nearly as much as I used to when running the Defenders. We have pretty terrible expansion cracks here in Leadville, and my guess/explanation is that running a slightly larger diameter (275/65 instead of 60) is smoothing those out.
  3. The Outpost nAT has a BIG difference in tread depth for the LT vs P-metric tires--18/32 vs 14/32, and the LT picks up aramid (kevlar) reinforcement in the tread as well as the sidewalls. Haven't tested that yet (knock on wood), but so far I'm a fan of the beefier meats.
  4. I am down by roughly 1 MPG running the heavier LT tires. The P-metric Outpost nAT is impressively lightweight, and I could see that being a real value-add for folks who don't need the heavier structure.
  5. Extreme cold weather (-16ºF) performance is stellar! Compound grip and suppleness are on par with the Blizzaks on our VW. I was shocked.
  6. Deep snow performance is remarkable. I have to work quite hard to break these tires free. Would use these on a plow truck, no question.
  7. Packed snow performance in cold conditions (lower than 16ºF) is also excellent. Haven't driven enough to really cross-compare with the Blizzaks in a range of temps/snow types, but so far they don't leave me wanting more.
  8. Hard stops on textured glare ice are way better than I had hoped for. Black ice and smooth ice are skittery, but not that much worse than the Blizzaks.
The real acid test, and the thing I can't speak to, is warm snow/slush performance. So far this winter, we have just used the VW in those conditions because it might as well be purpose-built for that crap. The Outpost nAT will certainly bite and dig through most crud, but I have yet to really push them in 25-32ºF snow conditions.

Given the use you describe, I'd probably get LT, but I suspect you'll be happy with either version.

Last edited:
Great thread and I’m still debating getting these tires in P metric 265/70r18 — I like the taller slightly skinnier tire and don’t need the extra weight. How’s the road noise now?

Great thread and I’m still debating getting these tires in P metric 265/70r18 — I like the taller slightly skinnier tire and don’t need the extra weight. How’s the road noise now?
Road noise remains minimal; no noticeable change.

If I've interpreted the materials correctly, while most companies have a single tread pattern that repeats across the width of the tread around the entire circumference, Nokian is using three zones that alternate around the circumference with subtly different lug designs in each. You can see the difference in length between center lugs from adjacent zones in this closeup:

1000002984.jpg

This disrupts resonant frequencies (the specific pitches we hear from most AT and MT tires) kind of like putting a clothespin on a guitar string at just the right point.

Oh my, I'm sounding rather like a Nokian fanboy at this point!

Last edited:
Here's a review of the Outpost nAT which speaks to its winter abilities, validating my reason to pick up a set over other AT's on the market. With exception of wanting for more wet braking performance, I couldn't be happier with them. P-metric, in my case.

Thank you, @shortribs! I had forgotten to keep my eye out for this review. Outpost nAT shows up at 6:54. His description definitely aligns with my experience.

I find it fascinating, the reviewer's comment at the very end that Nokian hasn't been letting the Outpost nAT be cross-reviewed with other AT tires. Clearly, Nokian hasn't had the production capacity to satisfy any kind of real demand this fall, but I would imagine that changes in the next couple quarters. I'll be curious to see their long-term strategy with this one.

Meanwhile, bring on the snow!

Congrats on the new shoes.
No question, a heavier E-load will be a must for others, but I've been impressed by the standard load's compliant and quiet ride on road.

YT reviewer Tyre Reviews just installed a set (link here) in LT265/65R18 and will hopefully be doing A/B testing between LT and P-Metric versions of the same.

Lastly, as someone who is running the earlier Outpost AT rather than the newer nAT, Nokian highlights the differences as follows - who knows what that last point even means. nAT brochure:
  • NOW MADE IN USA
  • MORE AGGRESSIVE SIDEWALL DESIGN
  • RAISED LETTERING AND SMOOTH SIDEWALLS
  • SQUARER TREAD PROFILE
  • REDESIGNED TREAD SUPPORTS, FOR MORE AGGRESSIVE LOOK

What is the country of origin? Thread seems to be fantastic, and if there is no road sound, this might be my choice too.

What is the country of origin? Thread seems to be fantastic, and if there is no road sound, this might be my choice too.
The original Outpost AT's were produced in Nokian's former factory in Russia, and still available for purchase online at close-out prices in select sizing. The newer nAT version is USA made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom