New Shoes - Nokian Outpost nAT LT275/65r18 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Couvi, those look great! Don't know what you're saying about posting better pics. :) Glad you're enjoying them and can't wait to hear the longer-term impressions.

@shortribs, thanks for that additional link from Tyre Reviews. Very glad we are enjoying equanimity on this thread between those choosing P-metric and those choosing LT for their different use cases. Seems like more users and version experiences can only improve the conversation. I'm keenly interested to see if noteworthy differences emerge. In particular, I haven't found any discussion by Nokian about differences in compound between the two versions, and that's a point of curiosity for me. Looking at the photo, I believe the Tyre Reviews guy is running an LT275/65R18 for his long-term test, which is identical to what I have on Pearl.

On my side, they continue to perform beautifully. Having a bit more snow, cold, and highway time, impressions remain unchanged. Took them up toward Hagerman Pass (turned around at the Windsor Lake trailhead) through about 14" of mashed potatoes in 40ºF temps a couple weeks ago. To my mind, these are some of the worst traction conditions possible - too deep to dig all the way down to solid ground and too warm for the snow to offer much grip. I did end up having to lock the center diff as things got laterally squidgy, but the tires tracked impressively well and had remarkable bite when crawling back up from the drifted ditch we accidentally detoured into!

The past few mornings have been 1ºF with a mix of packed snow/ice/bare pavement while driving the kids to school, and I've never lost traction unintentionally... :cool: Feeling out the edges of lateral grip in a range of temps over the past few weeks puts these one step behind dedicated snows but way ahead of every other all-weather I've experienced. On a serious note, the tires saved my butt two days ago when I was under-caffeinated and came up on a stopped vehicle faster than I should on snow; ABS didn't even activate.

I still haven't gotten to put them through their paces in Moab, but hopefully soon.

Thanks guys. I'm really surprised at how quiet these are – my last set of tires (Toyo AT3s) hummed right out the gate and these are so quiet especially considering the size and depth of the lugs.

Ran through the carwash so had to get a few more pics:

IMG_7548.jpg

IMG_7557.jpg

IMG_7550.jpg

View attachment 3494476

View attachment 3494477

View attachment 3494476

View attachment 3494477

View attachment 3494478
Any further updates with winter performance with the Outpost nAT?
This thread most likely solidified my decision on what new tires I’ll get for my recently acquired LX for the Colorado winters. It currently has pretty new LTX defenders but Nokian sounds and looks perfect for my needs.
@Couvi are you running spacers, hope not cause those shoes look perfect.

I'm in awe of both @Couvi 's photography skills AND possibly the most pristine exterior I've seen on a 200k+ mile LC! How many miles is that truck at by now, sir? And what is your further impression of those Nokians?

A question as we gather more experiences with this tire: are you running the P or LT version of the Outpost AT?
I have the LT version... They are about to go back on for winter use... Hopefully going to see some snow next week... Will report back.

Overall, very happy with their snow performance, quiet, meaty... E rated...

I'm in awe of both @Couvi 's photography skills AND possibly the most pristine exterior I've seen on a 200k+ mile LC! How many miles is that truck at by now, sir? And what is your further impression of those Nokians?
Thanks man! I’ve been a photographer for a long time — appreciate the kind words. It’s a little dirtier now but I do try and take care of it. I’m right at 242k, I’ve had it for almost 10 years — bought it with 100k. Still liking the tires, hoping we get some snow this year so I can test them out. Love the look. How are yours? Attaching a few more pics:

IMG_7570.jpeg

IMG_2338.jpeg

IMG_2639.jpeg

@Couvi are you running spacers, hope not cause those shoes look perfect.
Like the previous poster, I have a 2017 Land Cruiser with LTX MS 285/60/R18’s that are still in pretty good shape and served me well in Wisc. But now in Northern AZ and going more back country with more rocky conditions, I am looking for a more agressive tire with more sidewall protection. So this post is just perfect for me as well. Thanks very much for sharing it. So with my stock truck and wheels and spare I should go with the 275/65/R18 to fit without mod’s. Is that correct? Thanks for this site and enlightening me.

IMG_1180.jpeg

On the 100 series, you can go up to a 275/70 r18 tire without modifications, that’s roughly a 33” tire. The catch is that for that size, you have to go for the LT version which is tougher and heavier. I didn’t need the extra beef and went for a slightly smaller lighter size (265/70 r18). Hope this helps. You may be able to go larger on the 200 series, but I’m unfamiliar with the specs.

I came to my GX460 from the Volvo world, where I had the Nokian WRG3s and then the WRG4s on my S60R.

Nokian's "all weather" compounds are fantastic for those of us who live in a warm climate but still need snow tire performance in the winters. Perfect for me, living in San Diego but going on long ski trips throughout Utah, Montana, Wyoming, Oregon, Washington & British Columbia...

Anyways, I was due for new tires this winter (my existing tires were at 5/32s, which is pushing it for snow traction).

I went with the Nokian Outpost nAT in 265/70R17 with TRD Pro 40th anniversary wheels.

We finally got some snow out west, so I headed to Utah this weekend & got some photos!

gx460-nokian-oceanside.jpg

gx460-nokian-oceanside-tire.jpg

gx460-nokian-alta.jpg

gx460-nokian-alta-tire.jpg

I came to my GX460 from the Volvo world, where I had the Nokian WRG3s and then the WRG4s on my S60R.

Nokian's "all weather" compounds are fantastic for those of us who live in a warm climate but still need snow tire performance in the winters. Perfect for me, living in San Diego but going on long ski trips throughout Utah, Montana, Wyoming, Oregon, Washington & British Columbia...

Anyways, I was due for new tires this winter (my existing tires were at 5/32s, which is pushing it for snow traction).

I went with the Nokian Outpost nAT in 265/70R17 with TRD Pro 40th anniversary wheels.

We finally got some snow out west, so I headed to Utah this weekend & got some photos!

gx460-nokian-oceanside.jpg

gx460-nokian-oceanside-tire.jpg

gx460-nokian-alta.jpg

gx460-nokian-alta-tire.jpg
They look great. How’d you like the ride and traction in snow/ice? Mine have been great - snow and icy roads here due to a recent storm, I’ve had no problems and we’re in a fairly hilly area.

They look great. How’d you like the ride and traction in snow/ice? Mine have been great - snow and icy roads here due to a recent storm, I’ve had no problems and we’re in a fairly hilly area.
Ice traction will always be non-existent unless you go with a studded tire...

For a tire that I can drive in the summers in California, they are great-- they'll never be as good as a studded tire or a full-on snow tire (which can only be used in the winter)... but that's sort of a moot point, as for someone who lives in Southern California, they're effectively the best option I have. As mentioned, this is actually my 3rd set of Nokian's and they have really been my "go to" for my ski trip vehicle.

Here's a photo of my old Volvo on its last road trip to Big Sky Montana... also on Nokian tires. The car burnt a valve on this trip... I limped it back to California, rebuilt the cylinder head in order to get it to pass smog & sold it. Compression may have been an issue on this trip, but traction never was :)

bigsky.jpg

A full week of snowy and iced over roads and these tires did great. Very quiet on road as well. These are probably my favorite of the 4 tires I’ve had on this vehicle so far (Bridgestone duelers, stock size / Continental Terrain Contact ATs, 275/65/18 / Toyo OC AT3s 265/70/18s)

@w4lks0ftly curious if you have any further updates from your Colorado winter?

Still can’t decide if I’m going dedicated winters or nAT. If I’m able to safely cruise down icy and snowpack passes powder chasing, I think just going with the nAT seems like the way. I would sell my slightly used Defender LTXs, save $150 dollars on second wheels, and time/few $ on slightly used winters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom