New Seiken 44610-60792 brake booster? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wayne

Bought by His blood, kept by His power
Threads
I'm still trying to solve an old problem, soft brakes. I have replaced every item in the brake system and haven't solved the problem. I still believe it's the brake booster and installed two rebuilt Bendix booster from O'reily's. I have been looking at the new not rebuilt Seiken booster for sale at Cruiser Yard. Do any of you have any experience with this booster? Note: The pedal will pump up rock hard and hold with the engine off.

Last edited:
Onur, I stand corrected.

I bought one and it has been functioning perfectly since day 1. I don’t care that it’s not OEM—the reman part I had failed, and a true OEM part cost nearly $800. This was a good middle ground.

I'm still trying to solve an old problem, soft brakes. I have replaced every item in the brake system and haven't solved the problem. I still believe it's the brake booster and installed two rebuilt Bendix booster from O'reily's. I have been looking at the new not rebuilt Seiken booster for sale at Cruiser Yard. Do any of you have any experience with this booster? Note: The pedal will pump up rock hard and hold with the engine off.

Wouldn't a failing brake booster cause the pedal to be rock hard and difficult to depress? That would be the opposite of the problem you are describing...

I've been running the Seiken for 2 years now with no issues after my OEM unit failed (thankfully on the way home from GSMTR, and not during!).

Why do you think the booster is causing soft brakes? What do you mean by soft?

The pedal can be pumped up hard after two or three pumps with the engine off. Indicating a good master cylinder and calipers, with no leaks, but once the engine is running the pedal never feels hard and with constant strong pressure applied, the pedal starts to sink a lot. I thought for sure it was an internally leaking master cylinder and put a new AISIN on and it made no difference. I've blead the system until I'm sick of it, no difference. I removed the ABS actuator and LSPV, no difference. Rebuilt calipers, rotors and pads, no difference. I've replaced the master cylinder three times and the booster twice, no difference. The boosters are rebuilt Bendix ones from O'reily's, I'm thinking it has to be the booster. The truck will stop, but has difficulty stopping quickly (panic stop).

Last edited:
Wouldn't a failing brake booster cause the pedal to be rock hard and difficult to depress? That would be the opposite of the problem you are describing...

The OEM booster did fail like you described, hard to push and failed start up test. This one (aftermarket) passes the start up test, but fails to achieve a hard pedal when pumped up and sinks when strong pressure constantly applied.

You're describing my experience as well, except I haven't quite replaced everything as many times as you have. I still don't think its the booster causing the problem.

There is a thread somewhere on here where someone adjusted the brake pedal free play with a screw located on the back of the pedal mechanism. Whether this should be touched I don't know, but it might help you.

If you find that the new brake booster makes the difference, please let me know! Would love to solve this problem for myself, though I might just spend the money and go with a hydroboost setup.

Not that I have any experience with the soft brakes issue, but is it possible that the soft brake lines need to be replaced? (maybe this was part of your entire brake system replacement...)
Best of luck!
Too funny, @jeeprjames, you beat me to it.

Changing to stainless brake lines is not going to make a difference unless his rubber ones were leaking (which they are not). Either way, there is no functional difference between rubber and stainless lines.

Changing to stainless brake lines is not going to make a difference unless his rubber ones were leaking (which they are not). Either way, there is no functional difference between rubber and stainless lines.

not true. Old rubber hoses tend to split internally. This then causes the hose to bubble which gives the driver the sensation of “softer brakes”. There is even a graphic in the FSM explaining exactly that. In fact this occurred on my own brake hose after lots of searching. I’m not here to say stainless sleeved is better than OEM rubber, but I will say that stainless will 1000000% never bubble and give the driver a “soft peddle” feel.

Installed my Seiken yesterday along with Aisin MC. Significantly better braking!
20200608_194628.jpg

Not sure how many ways I can say this: Seiken is NOT OEM for the Toyota Land Cruiser.

I get what you’re saying man.

The claim they’re making is it’s the same part as OEM based on their analysis. I’m wondering if someone else can back up their claim. WE UNDERSTAND SEIKEN IS NOT A TOYOTA SUPPLIER HERE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom