New roof rack! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just finished making my new homade ghetto fabulous roof rack. Actually its pretty decent looking. I stole Archie's idea of using conduit. It worked out pretty good. I bent the pipes and then drilled holes in the other ones and bolted it together. Its pretty stong too. I can stand in any spot and it can support me (160lbs). I used Yakima raingutter mounts to fasten it to my roof and so far so good. I am going to add 4 more mounts for extra strength though. (i've only got 4 right now) But all in all, it was pretty easy and with the other mounts i dont have yet, total cost should be around $120. Not bad for a 84"x44"x8" rack. turned out a little bigger then I thought it would be, but I think it looks pretty good, and with lights and a spare tire, it should be pretty niffty. We'll see how it holds up.

-Bryan

Can you post some pics?

I need something like this and looking for a design I can give someone to fab.

I'm workin on posting pics, I'm just retarted and I cant get it.

Looks real nice. Any concern of the rack coming apart due to vibrations and body flexing? Just curious...!

Yes... driving conditions. Naa, I'm not that complex, the picture was crappy because it was dark out and the camera was on a really slow speed. As far as being concerned with it comming apart, I've got lock washers on every bolt and there is 2 coats of paint in the threads. And I gave it the patented BK test. (driving like a retard swerving all over slamming on the gas then the brakes) and so far so good. It does rattle a little bit but thats becuase i left a few of the cross bars without bolts. I'll just JB weld em or duck tape it to quiet it depending on how lazy I am at the time when I decide to shut it up. But, it was a pretty easy project, although I had access to a drill press which made things alot easier, it could easily be done with a hand drill. it would just take a little more precision and measuring things. I just eyeballed the whole thing and it happened to work. If anything does fall apart, I'll keep ya posted.

-Bryan

Good joy.
For the price u can't beat that.
What type of conduit did u use?

Lal with a more expensive custom job roof-rack (but would have rather spent the difference on a welder!)

This is my favorite.
gid3181226
:flipoff2:

OK, so you don't need my pics and meas. I take it then? Cool. Then I'll keep it on a few more weeks till I take off the rack for good. :D

38995561.jpg

That the pic you were after Junkster ? It was a crapshoot ... wasn't sure , just tryin to help .. 8)

Uh, no. I was poking fun at the one where apparently he had gotten a tad cold, wet his pants, and was starting to feel it leak into his shoes so he started to step back, went to take the pic, slipped in the doggie doodoo and clicked the pic as he fell down only to end up seeing up yo mommas skirt :flipoff2: :D

close though - thanks for trying to help. :D

You missin' something up front?, or just taking them off one at a time?

Was that before or after he was rescued from the 'Tree of Death' ?? :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Then again he did state he was scared to death ... must have been after ..

Yo momma yourself !

T

:flipoff2:

I still think to freak people out, he needs to mount a spigot at the rear. People will be like WTF? :flipoff2: :D

Since he has actual conduits, might as well run wires for lights and s***!

That's a pretty nice job! Glad somebody could use some of my idea. Just in case everybody didn't see my expired picturetrail photos, I basically took an old bedframe and bolted some conduit on. I then took it and U-bolted it to a Thule roof rack and added a aluminum diamond plated faring to where the headboard would attach. It has a lip to keep most things in or sliding off( because the bedframe is L shaped) but not high enough to get caught on garages. Bryan be careful around the city. You got pretty big wheels and a lift. Hope to see you around Chicago soon, but I stepping out of the country for 1 1/2 months in the Philippines. Gotta get out of the cold. Hope to give everybody a cruiser report from the islands.

let's hook up when you're back in the states.

Ali
bolingbrook

I used 1" for the outer parts and 3/4" for everything else.

-The tree was evil, I didnt want to kiss the entire side of my truck goodbye. :flipoff2: :D

-Junk, you were right up until the doggie doodoo part. It wasnt doodoo I sliped on, it was your moms vibrator. :flipoff2: The spigot at the rear isnt too bad an idea. I could be stoped at a red light, push a button, and have water just start comming out, get out of my truck with a glass, fill it up, drink some, and get back in and drive off. I think that would def. confuse some people. :beer:

As far as missing something up front, I let the rocks take em off for me. One is completly gone and 2 others are half broken. I'm going to go flareless in a little while, I like the look.

-Bryan

so the model 80 has a regular rain gutter that you put clamps on as in the old style -not limited to drilling through the rooof metal then, correct?
E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom