New PZJ70 Owner, w/Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm new so be nice! 😂

Currently stationed in Curacao (hardship...I know) and ran across a 1993 PZJ70 for sale that was rough, but not too far lost, condition. It's the 5-cyl diesel and when I went to test drive it I was told that the battery was dead and that'd I'd have to push start it. I did, ran great, and decided to buy. I picked it up today, put a fresh battery on and it cranks but will not start. This is where I need help. Where do I start? Just disassemble the entire vehicle, pull the engine and start over?

Thanks in advance for getting me started.

Attachments

• IMG_5885.pdf
    932.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5886.pdf
    855.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5896.pdf
    869.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5897.pdf
    726.7 KB · Views: 80
@USAFBuckeye , welcome to the Forum. Well, you are talking extremes here... pulling the engine when you can push start it. After you purchased the new battery, and you say the starter "cranks", but the engine isn't turning over?? However, when you push start it, the engine turns right over? Can you still push start it? If you can not still push start it, something happened since your purchased it and installed the new battery.

From what it sounds like, you thought you had a battery issue, but now you replaced the battery. Now, It is either a fuel delivery issue or air issue if the starter is indeed cranking / turning the engine over but not actually starting.

If you pushed started it prior to purchase, I would not jump to the conclusion, you need to "start over" by pulling the engine. Take a deep breathe. Maybe change the air filter, fuel filter, re-bleed the fuel system, and install new glow plugs. If you don't feel comfortable doing those things, ask around in your squadron and ask, if anyone one knows a competent diesel mechanic.

Looks like you scored a really nice rig. You will be enjoying it in no time I'm sure. It is probably something very simple, if you could push start this prior to purchase.

Cheers,
Don

@USAFBuckeye , welcome to the Forum. Well, you are talking extremes here... pulling the engine when you can push start it. After you purchased the new battery, and you say the starter "cranks", but the engine isn't turning over?? However, when you push start it, the engine turns right over? Can you still push start it? If you can not still push start it, something happened since your purchased it and installed the new battery.

From what it sounds like, you thought you had a battery issue, but now you replaced the battery. Now, It is either a fuel delivery issue or air issue if the starter is indeed cranking / turning the engine over but not actually starting.

If you pushed started it prior to purchase, I would not jump to the conclusion, you need to "start over" by pulling the engine. Take a deep breathe. Maybe change the air filter, fuel filter, re-bleed the fuel system, and install new glow plugs. If you don't feel comfortable doing those things, ask around in your squadron and ask, if anyone one knows a competent diesel mechanic.

Looks like you scored a really nice rig. You will be enjoying it in no time I'm sure. It is probably something very simple, if you could push start this prior to purchase.

Cheers,
Don
Thanks Don!

Correct, I can push start with no problem and it runs well. The engine does turn over when I turn the key, but I’m not sure if it’s cranking slow or normal. So because it turns over I’m assuming the starter is ok. I’ve downloaded a few of the shop manuals thanks to the sticky on the forum, but it’s taking some time to find the right info for the 5-cyl.

Starting over was just tongue-in-cheek. I’m a long time Land Rover guy, but new to the diesel game. I’m looking forward to learning all I can about this one and getting right.

Thanks again!

UPDATE: Problem sorted now on to the others.

The PO installed 8.5v glow plugs...so they were never really going to work I think. After getting the correct voltage glow plugs, putting in another battery, cleaning the corrosion off the battery and starter cables and re-priming (pumping?) the fuel, it kicked right over and runs! Found out the alternator is shot though, so I'll get that rebuilt here on the island and may have the starter done too. The T. Belt light is blinking ever so slightly, not on constantly, but blinking--so that will need to be addressed and the temp gauge doesn't work, so I'll be after a new temp sensor. Now the fun begins in resurrecting this to something beyond base poverty package 😂

@USAFBuckeye , I'm so happy you got it sorted it. It's hard having a new toy and not being about to use it. I'm sure you can get that Alternator and Starter rebuilt for about $150 USD each and if you take your time and follow the manual you can do the timing belt yourself. Just take your time and follow the manual. Plenty of people here on the forum will help you out if you get stuck.

Also, order new alternator "V" Belts, and Power Steering Vane pump V belt now so you will have them on hand for later. If the new owner put the wrong glow plugs in, they may have put the wrong V Belts on too. I'd check for the (2) alternator belts are correct, and check your tension on those belts. You not need the alternator re-built yet (maybe just need a little more tension on it). Just a thought.

@USAFBuckeye , I'm so happy you got it sorted it. It's hard having a new toy and not being about to use it. I'm sure you can get that Alternator and Starter rebuilt for about $150 USD each and if you take your time and follow the manual you can do the timing belt yourself. Just take your time and follow the manual. Plenty of people here on the forum will help you out if you get stuck.

Also, order new alternator "V" Belts, and Power Steering Vane pump V belt now so you will have them on hand for later. If the new owner put the wrong glow plugs in, they may have put the wrong V Belts on too. I'd check for the (2) alternator belts are correct, and check your tension on those belts. You not need the alternator re-built yet (maybe just need a little more tension on it). Just a thought.
Brilliant! Thanks my friend! Getting things shipped to the island isn’t hard, but it takes a while so I’ll be lining up all the necessary part numbers. I’m having issues finding stuff through Rock Auto as they do not like a 1PZ option for a 93 Land Cruiser. Any advice?

I don't think you will find much on Rock Auto for this vehicle.
PM sent.

This should help you get started.

Alternator V Belt Set: 90916-02330
Oil Filter: 90915-30002
Fuel Filter: 04234-68010
Front Brake Pad Set: 04491-60080
Front Shocks: 48511-69365
Rear Shocks: 48531-69295

Last edited:
I don't think you will find much on Rock Auto for this vehicle.
PM sent.

This should help you get started.

Alternator V Belt Set: 90916-02330
Oil Filter: 90915-30002
Fuel Filter: 04234-68010
Front Brake Pad Set: 04491-60080
Front Shocks: 48511-69365
Rear Shocks: 48531-69295

These are mostly all incorrect.

V belt set (matched): 90916-02452 (available from any US Toyota dealership)

Oil Filter: 90915-30002 (available from any US Toyota dealership)

Oil Filter drain plug gasket: 90430-12031 (available from any US Toyota dealership)

Drain plug: 90341-12012 (available from any US Toyota dealership)

Fuel Filter: 23303-64010 (available from any US Toyota dealership)

Brake pad set: 04465-60030 (available from any US Toyota dealership)

Brake pad shim kit: 04945-04012 (available from any US Toyota dealership)

Front shocks: 48511-69356 x2 (available from any US Toyota dealership): These will not come with the metal retainers. Only the lock nuts and bushings. If you want the metal retainers, you will need to order them individually.

Rear shocks: 48531-69386 x2 (available from any US Toyota dealership): Make sure to get the bolts with washers as well: 90119-12088 x4

That should start you off correctly in terms of parts procurement.

Oil Filter drain plug gasket: 90430-12031 (available from any US Toyota dealership)

Front shocks: 48511-69356 x2 (available from any US Toyota dealership): These will not come with the metal retainers. Only the lock nuts and bushings. If you want the metal retainers, you will need to order them individually.

Rear shocks: 48531-69386 x2 (available from any US Toyota dealership): Make sure to get the bolts with washers as well: 90119-12088 x4

Thanks! The limitation I have is being in Curacao, but I'll work around it.

So because it turns over I’m assuming the starter is ok
I wouldn't assume that. But I would check to see what voltage its getting when you crank it before I replaced it.
Overall , it doesnt look too bad.

@Onur as for shocks. I run oldman EMU on my Range Rover Classic. Are there widely accepted "performance" suspension options other than factory?

Was firmness a option when buying Beilsteins? Did you get the 5100?

Yes, you can get different valving for them. 5125 series

img_1669-jpg.1510086

I did 33-230368 26.38″ EXTENDED, 16.01″ on the front with 360/80 valving (firmer)

And on the rear 33-104652 255/70 valving. I think it's a little soft IMO, not bad just I prefer a little firmer ride.

Yes, you can get different valving for them. 5125 series

img_1669-jpg.1510086

I did 33-230368 26.38″ EXTENDED, 16.01″ on the front with 360/80 valving (firmer)

And on the rear 33-104652 255/70 valving. I think it's a little soft IMO, not bad just I prefer a little firmer ride.
did you have a preference for the steering dampener?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom