New Product: ARB Old Man Emu Upper Control Arms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BAY2MTN

SILVER Star
Threads
Just saw this post by ARB on Facebook regarding new UCA product.
I may give these a go if I can't get rid of the squeak in my SPC UCA.

Any input?
Please delete if already posted. I've been gone for weeks.

1598572737892.png

Just saw this post by ARB on Facebook regarding new UCA product.
I may give these a go if I can't get rid of the squeak in my SPC UCA.

Any input?
Please delete if already posted. I've been gone for weeks.

View attachment 2418272

Very curious if these are rebadged units from another company, and if so...which.

To me, there is much to bedesiredIin the UCA category. SPC has been the go-to for a long time, but they are far from perfect. I will bevery curious what claims OME makes in their pitch for thses.

Very curious if these are rebadged units from another company, and if so...which.

To me, there is much to bedesiredIin the UCA category. SPC has been the go-to for a long time, but they are far from perfect. I will be very curious what claims OME makes in their pitch for these.
From marketing/sales perspective, it's the "all-in-one" suspension package. I would have gone with this when I did my BP-51 to simplify ordering & warranty.

Just got a pair in today for an install. Time will tell as most things like this seem pretty good sitting in the box. But just handling them with some of the features I see, I’m leaning toward these being my new favorite UCA for a 200.

How much????

Just got a pair in today for an install. Time will tell as most things like this seem pretty good sitting in the box. But just handling them with some of the features I see, I’m leaning toward these being my new favorite UCA for a 200.

I’ll be VERY interested to hear your hands-on info, Rob. Like VERY-very. Especially how they fare with 285/75/117ish stuff and the ability(?) to place tires a bit forward in the well. Assuming they aren’t made to rotate like the SPc so curious about where they put the tire compared to the tricks to go forward with SPC.

I swear keeping the SPCs greased seems to result in a mess...and they squeak like heck anyway with unreachable sources requiring weird DIY drillling, etc. With supposed version 2 sitting at only a maybe someday...

Look forward to more info outa yooos... :steer:

PS. On balance—SPCs have performed their main function well and without stopping my truck in any way. But...there are aspects that are annoying. So I’m rooting for a great alternative.

Last edited:
If you’re getting UCA’s, Total Chaos or bust.

Why?

Not arguing. I have no axe. Just wanna wanna hear the reasons.
How are they with adjusting for larger tire placement...
What’s the deal with keeping them greased...
How’s access...noise...

I’m no UCA expert.
Far from it. Just wanna hear the why part behind strong statements & comparisons...whether/how it solves anything I hope to solve.

I’ll be VERY interested to hear your hands-on info, Rob. Like VERY-very. Especially how they fare with 285/75/117ish stuff and the ability(?) to place tires a bit forward in the well.

I swear keeping the SPCs greased seems to result in a mess...and they squeak like heck anyway with unreachable sources requiring weird DIY drillling, etc. With supposed version 2 sitting at only a maybe someday...I kinda feel like a sucker for sticking with SPC. Plus...the typical shop tends to screw up angles on the spc since they apparently ship at a more rearward angle by default.

Look forward to more info outa yooos... :steer:
Why is it only when a new product comes out you hear about all the negative of the old that everyone has loved for so long 😆

I don't actually understand the need for adjustment. There is an optimal position, regardless of tire size. If you go too far forward as others have discovered, you risk undue stress on your CVs. And there's a proper amount of built in caster, and yes there can be too much caster (camburg).

Why is it only when a new product comes out you hear about all the negative of the old that everyone has loved for so long 😆

I don't actually understand the need for adjustment. There is an optimal position, regardless of tire size. If you go too far forward as others have discovered, you risk undue stress on your CVs. And there's a proper amount of built in caster, and yes there can be too much caster (camburg).

Heh. I hear ya, Z... But In my case, I was in a lengthy thread a few months ago griping about my SPCs...and a couple years ago too. So I’m off that hook. :hillbilly:

UCAs have been a weird part. Only recently have there been more choices. When there’s only one or two major games in town, it’s kinda fruitless to get into debates without much competition to debate...

Why?

Not arguing. I have no axe. Just wanna wanna hear the reasons.
How are they with adjusting for larger tire placement...
What’s the deal with keeping them greased...
How’s access...noise...

I’m no UCA expert.
Far from it. Just wanna hear the why part behind strong statements & comparisons...whether/how it solves anything I hope to solve.

I know that SPC are widely used (and with success) here; however, there are a significant amount of catastrophic failures reported across the platforms they support. Bushing failures, weld failures, plastic deformation under normal driving conditions etc have all left a bad taste in my mouth. It shouldn’t take 5 or 6 iterations of a product that is safety critical to get it right.

Camburgs are OK; however, they don’t have enough caster built in for enough lift.

ICONs look great but the delta joint is a glorified ball joint.

Total Chaos has been a long time participant in hardcore off-road racing and specializes in Toyota platforms. I have had them installed for over 100k miles on my 4Runner. I greased the bushings once on install and have had to add teflon lube once to the uniball since install. They have lived in the salty Midwest and in Alaska and are silent in all operating conditions.

Everyone else appears late to the party that is already saturated with good products. There are only so many ways to create a UCA and I think that Total Chaos does it better than anyone else....

Heh. I hear ya, Z... But In my case, I was in a lengthy thread a few months ago griping about my SPCs...and a couple years ago too. So I’m off that hook. :hillbilly:

UCAs have been a weird part. Only recently have there been more choices. When there’s only one or two major games in town, it’s kinda fruitless to get into debates without much competition to debate...
They are just bars of metal though, need to be serviceable, not rust away, and have the proper dimensions. I don't think this is one of those "magic" parts. FWIW I have 35k on my TCs and never had a squeek. The weather is warm and consitent here though!

I know that SPC are widely used (and with success) here; however, there are a significant amount of catastrophic failures reported across the platforms they support. Bushing failures, weld failures, plastic deformation under normal driving conditions etc have all left a bad taste in my mouth. It shouldn’t take 5 or 6 iterations of a product that is safety critical to get it right.

Camburgs are OK; however, they don’t have enough caster built in for enough lift.

ICONs look great but the delta joint is a glorified ball joint.

Total Chaos has been a long time participant in hardcore off-road racing and specializes in Toyota platforms. I have had them installed for over 100k miles on my 4Runner. I greased the bushings once on install and have had to add teflon lube once to the uniball since install. They have lived in the salty Midwest and in Alaska and are silent in all operating conditions.

Everyone else appears late to the party that is already saturated with good products. There are only so many ways to create a UCA and I think that Total Chaos does it better than anyone else....

Good to hear you’ve had success in your 4Runner. It gets hard to judge across models with so
e tho gs though because in the case of SPC...they’ve changed their bushings on some vehicle UcAs but have not made the same switch to their 200 Series version. Details like that make me hesitant to assume model-to-model uniformity, ya know?

They are just bars of metal though, need to be serviceable, not rust away, and have the proper dimensions. I don't think this is one of those "magic" parts. FWIW I have 35k on my TCs and never had a squeek. The weather is warm and consitent here though!

The bars of metal on SPCs aren’t the issue. It’s their ball joint design and bushing access/serviceability pain that I’m unhappy with.

Last edited:
Good to hear you’ve had success in your 4Runner. It gets hard to judge across models with so
e tho gs though because in the case of SPC...they’ve changed their bushings on some vehicle UcAs but have not made the same switch to their 200 Series version. Details like that make me hesitant to assume model-to-model uniformity, ya know?

A quick google of SPC failures show a really concerning track record. It’s not squeaks, it’s significant failure at highway speed etc.

A quick google of SPC failures show a really concerning track record. It’s not squeaks, it’s significant failure at highway speed etc.

On 200s??

Last edited:
I have yet to read a 200 Series SPC UCA failure thread here. Squeaks? Yes, not failures. If that was the case, I would have chosen differently.

I have yet to read a 200 Series SPC UCA failure thread here. Squeaks? Yes, not failures. If that was the case, I would have chosen differently.

Same here... My ears would have perked up if it was common bc I’ve used SPCs since my 100 series.
Really just hoping for improvement over a good product. Not the replacement of a bad one.

Last edited:
On 200s??
Just because there hasn't been one doesn't mean there won't. Whatever their design philosophy it didn't stand up to the test on other platforms, and it's reasonable to assume the same philosophy was applied to the 200 parts.

Also all the talk of UCAs not being a magic part ignores an important point.. caster changes through suspension travel, and different people often go for different ride heights. That means a fixed UCA may or may not have the caster in spec when the rest of the suspension is set up. Adjustable upper ball joint position helps with this, but from what I've seen introduces it's own problems.

Not to mention aggressive caster changes or lack thereof can lead to other issues with KDSS or fender rub.

Personally I'd like some details on these ARB units, even if my suspension plans are to keep it low enough that stock UCAs remain the best option. Needless to say their track record is pretty good.

What is it that you see upon initial review that you like over SPC and TC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom