New Paint Job Woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My cruiser, after a month of stripping paint, is off at the paint shop getting sprayed in a nice Nordic Blue.. heres the problem, I stopped by today to see how the job was going, and there are bits of dust/debry all in the base coat. I expressed my concern, and he said it would be fine. Can this guy actually remove these bits prior to a clearcoat? or after all my stripping work going to be stuck with a crap paint job? Im starting to get nervous.. nothing worse than a restoration gone bad with a junk coat of paint.

Mike

Same thing happened to my Suburban a few years ago. Ride him like the town whore till it's right. There are no friends in business, so let him know there's no payment till it's right, even if he's got to sand down the last coat. Good luck.

You'd be amazed at what wet sanding and buffer can achieve in dirt, run, and insect removal. Definitely let him know you expect it to be right when you come to pick it up...but don't be a PITA until you see the finished product. If its crap then...by all means give him both barrels.

I agree with toddslaghter. You must be patient and wait until it is finished. I understand your concern but you must trust that he knows what he is doing. That is why you trusted him to do the paint job in the first place isn't? When he calls you and you go to pick it up that is when it is time to talk about the job he did. This is the problem in general with mechanics, you need to trust your mechanic with your life or else you should find a new mechanic. I am having this very problem right now. I had a shop that was resonable and I trusted than I moved and have yet to find a quality shop that I feel comfortable paying. Good luck with this and keep us updated. Pics would be nice of before and after. Anyone ever get a paint job done by a national company like Macco?

Don't wait until it is too late. Level with them and ask if they will buff out the first coat before clear coat. Be clear and let theM know what you expect. Communicate ;)

when i got my cruiser repainted i got it painted saddle tan and the mixed up the paint some how and it turned out neon yellow, i could see it from the highway( non the less there was swearing all the way there). i told him he wasnt getting a dime til it was painted the right color. if i would be driving around a neon cruiser even i would have to kick my own ass. so dont let up til its done right

[quote author=cruiserwanted link=board=1;threadid=8535;start=msg72667#msg72667 date=1070851891]
Anyone ever get a paint job done by a national company like Macco?
[/quote]

i myself have not, but my buddy had them do his his '79 bronco. he did about 90% of the prep work himself.
DON'T do it they had everything messed up.

[quote author=toddslater link=board=1;threadid=8535;start=msg72656#msg72656 date=1070850180]
You'd be amazed at what wet sanding and buffer can achieve in dirt, run, and insect removal. Definitely let him know you expect it to be right when you come to pick it up...but don't be a PITA until you see the finished product. If its crap then...by all means give him both barrels.
[/quote]

i agree let them know your worried .... but dont blow up till its "done"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom