New Owner - Starting a Restoration on an '81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,

Just wanted to introduced myself to everyone. I originally posted a "WANTED" ad looking for an FJ55, but for various reasons I decided to make my first restoration an FJ40. I'd been looking for a project vehicle for months. I found this one local to me and picked it up last weekend.

My wife and I home-school our kids. This is going to be a project on which they'll help. We're all excited.

It has several issues I'm working through to make it a bit more driveable. A leak or two mostly. Plus the previous owners added a Jacobs ignition system and a preluber. They were not wiring experts. So, once I get a few things done I intend to drive it for a few months before we rip it apart. I've never had one so I want to enjoy driving it a little before it's out of commission for a year or two.

Major areas of rust are the bottom of the doors, and the rear wheel wells. I'm not sure if I need to buy another tub or if it can be fixed.

Also, I need a hard top, and ambulance doors, so if anyone can point me toward any I'd really appreciate it. The body work will be the last to get done, so I have some time.

Fm1qk1e.jpg

UCaXTzk.jpg

Welcome and good luck with your project. Should be great experience for you and the family.

Welcome !

Nice low mileage truck amigo !

:cheers:

81 is a great year :) Welcome

If your already figuring it'll take a year or two, it may be more like 4-5. Personally, I'd do as much as you can while still keeping it driveable and try to minimize the length of your downtime. Many, before you, have completely disassembled their truck only to loose interest over the years, and then sell it off as a basket case at a big loss. A lot can be done as a rolling resto, and then when the time is right, pull the tub and finish it off. It may take longer to finish it, but you'll get to enjoy it more and not burn out.

If your already figuring it'll take a year or two, it may be more like 4-5. Personally, I'd do as much as you can while still keeping it driveable and try to minimize the length of your downtime. Many, before you, have completely disassembled their truck only to loose interest over the years, and then sell it off as a basket case at a big loss. A lot can be done as a rolling resto, and then when the time is right, pull the tub and finish it off. It may take longer to finish it, but you'll get to enjoy it more and not burn out.

Understood. I've been reading this site for a few months now and I've noticed there is the tendency to draw these out for years on end. Lots of things could get in the way. Heck, I've got a 5th kid due in June...

But, I still say it'll take between 1 and 2 years even though I actually want it to go quicker than that.

Welcome. Nice looking 40. 1-2 years? It goes on and on. Have fun. Keep it fun.

Beautiful 40. Looks like it is in way above average shape. Welcome aboard!

X2 on what Bikersmurf said.
I also suggest doing a rolling restoration to avoid dismantling it.
You can satisfy your need to wrench on it by overhauling a system at a time while still getting to use it.
It'll take a few hundred hours to do the mechanical stuff, wiring, fuel, brakes, cooling, axles, exhaust, ignition, etc.
By then you'll know how much you want to commit to the cosmetic work.

I own two 40s.
Both were rigs that were bought by the P.O.s and dismantled to do frame off restorations.
Both ended up piles of parts in boxes when the owners ran out of time, money or interest.

Beautiful 40. Looks like it is in way above average shape. Welcome aboard!
X2 on what Bikersmurf said.
I also suggest doing a rolling restoration to avoid dismantling it.
You can satisfy your need to wrench on it by overhauling a system at a time while still getting to use it.
It'll take a few hundred hours to do the mechanical stuff, wiring, fuel, brakes, cooling, axles, exhaust, ignition, etc.
By then you'll know how much you want to commit to the cosmetic work.

I own two 40s.
Both were rigs that were bought by the P.O.s and dismantled to do frame off restorations.
Both ended up piles of parts in boxes when the owners ran out of time, money or interest.
Be Honest its an FJ, a labour of love and restoration never ends

I really do hear what you're all saying. Everyone should subscribe to this thread, and set a reminder two years from now to check in on me to tell me "i told you so." :)

I'm thinking this thread is really light on photos...

Congrats and as I was told, these are lifetime projects!

Ok then, here are a few. So far I've not taken it anywhere yet other than home. I'm doing a bit of work on it to make it more road worthy. New tie rod ends, fluids, filters, and a few miscellaneous things.

fDNQvUb.jpg

qB8a2Xh.jpg

vu9GEgi.jpg

dRxcquU.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like a pretty sound starting point. Having just completed a hard top restoration and miscellaneous parts search I would recommend taking your time looking for a complete clean hard top. Check out the part out forum and spend time on the general mud 40 forum and you will find one.

Yours is looking better than where I started. There were blocks of wood on top of the holes and Fiberglass to keep the roll bar from falling through... :eek:

Have you considered an OEM type soft top... Not much use up here though.

Yours is looking better than where I started. There were blocks of wood on top of the holes and Fiberglass to keep the roll bar from falling through... :eek:

Have you considered an OEM type soft top... Not much use up here though.

The driver side is pretty solid, but the passenger side is not. To firm it up I was thinking about having a cross bar temporarily welded from the back to the side of the bed sill, touching and welded to the rear roll bar.

And, I really like the look of a hard top. So as soon as I can find one I'd like to snag it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom