New noise today (engine fan) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
rinho.org
It's like driving a big truck...
I found the trouble, the engine fan is always on.
I don't know how the clutch between the engine and the fan is named in english...
Could you help me, I'd like to do some search to know more about it
(rebuildable? how much, picture when open, special tool needed?...)

Fan clutch. There's a great write up in the 80's section on them, same thing for the 100.
Fan clutch... as simple as that ! :)
There's a special word in french, that's why I was looking for something more complicated
Thanks

Reminder
Fan clutch 16210-66020
oil 6000cst 08816-06001 (2 needed, 35ml)

I took mine apart (what a pain to have it out of the engine bay)
but decided not to open it.
Because I didn't had time to let oil get down to the bottom before opening, because I don't have yet replacing oil and because, most important reason, when I try to turn it, there's a grindind noise and I'm affraid I know what I could find and maybe have the truck stucked for few days (I can't afford that)

Constatation: The first day I heard the fan being always "on" the mpg fall dramatically down to 10.5 !!!

My last trip (2 weeks ago) was Canada/Everglades, driving 12hours/days with a 1300lbs trailer, at 80mph most of the time.
The temp never get higher than the middle of the gauge.
IIRC, SCII never display more than 187°f (86°c) cooling temp
Are yours like that ?

I noticed a suddenly lower mpg 3 years ago (15 to 12.5)... maybe the beginning of the today trouble

Sounds like time to order a new fan clutch.

Sadly...
285$+tax at stealer
a little bit more than 100 on fleabay

Don't go aftermarket on the fan clutch. Stick with Toyota.

They are $135USD online from trademotion.com

Ordered, OEM, 139$ shipped
I'll then autopsy the noisy one

Received and replaced today !
A brand new aisin, in is box (not toyota parts)
exactly the same I took apart
Woaw, the silent is back, and the power also.
I opened the old unit... nothing looks wrong, execpt it looks empty and the smaal amount of silicone I found look more like grease than oil.
But I didn't wait more than one minute... maybe not enough... I will try longer.
The bearing (invisible, but I'm sure there's one) looks to be the guilty

Is it common to have the fan roaring when the A/C is on, 80+ degrees? I've noticed that my fan typically "kicks on" on cold start, and then quiets down shortly thereafter...but when I have the A/C on in city driving, the fan seems to continually run...common for everyone else? It does sound like an 18-wheeler at stop lights, roaring forward. On beast on!

Not anymore for me !
The quiet is back, and the gas mileage is better, difference is around 2 mpg !

Mine is engaged on startup...

Is it common to have the fan roaring when the A/C is on, 80+ degrees? I've noticed that my fan typically "kicks on" on cold start, and then quiets down shortly thereafter...but when I have the A/C on in city driving, the fan seems to continually run...common for everyone else? It does sound like an 18-wheeler at stop lights, roaring forward. On beast on!
...but it disengages about 2 minutes after starting. This is a new Toyota clutch but it happened from the get go. We haven't seen temps yet in the 80's yet, still waiting for summer. ;) I'd say it will engage when started until the silicone fluid is evenly distributed inside the clutch, but that's only a theory.

Steve

Not anymore for me !
The quiet is back, and the gas mileage is better, difference is around 2 mpg !

Seriously though...I don't have any signs of fan clutch failure. I do find it annoying that it roars at stop lights as if I'm pulling a 10 ton trailor. I wasn't sure if this was normal - sounds like, to some extent, it is not. It hasn't affected my gas mileage - always gotten 14.5 mpg regardless of what I do. Of course, this 2000 LC is new to me at 84K.

I just installed a Hayden fan clutch and after watching it spin the casting looked like it wasn't running true. The mount was running true so it's installed correctly.
I'm considering exchanging for another one and giving it a try.
I don't think my OEM is rebuildable since it's locked up.
Anyone have any good comments on the Hayden or should I just order one from cDan?
DMX

I just installed a Hayden fan clutch and after watching it spin the casting looked like it wasn't running true. The mount was running true so it's installed correctly.
I'm considering exchanging for another one and giving it a try.
I don't think my OEM is rebuildable since it's locked up.
Anyone have any good comments on the Hayden or should I just order one from cDan?
DMX
I'd go oem via cdan. I've installed a Hayden in a previous Suburban, I remember I could select standard, heavy duty, or super duty. Difference was lockup temperature. The SD was more or less continuous based on Suburban internet forum feedback. I went with the HD, it went ~100K before I sold the truck.

Steve

Will I need to mod it with the different oil or just plug-n-play? Really don't want to have to tune it. Anyone have experience with just running one out of the box with good results? I've read Landtank had seen some variances when they cut on and off.
DMX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom