New noise today (engine fan) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 2nd OEM fan clutch (blue) I installed only lasted 2 years. So thanks to the 80-Series guys I decided to go the cheap route which IMO is the best route: Drain and refill the fan clutch housing. Cost me $10 and about 1-hour of time (not including the 24-hour drain down time for the old fluid).

I filled mine with 10,000cst silicone which is heavier viscosity than stock. It stays locked up just fine now ;). You can buy the silicone from Toyota or any RC retailer in any viscosity. For more stock like performance I'd probably recommend filling with ~7,500cst.

Related links:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/4490419-post17.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota-truck-tech/167678-fan-clutch-service.html

Dan

The 2nd OEM fan clutch (blue) I installed only lasted 2 years. So thanks to the 80-Series guys I decided to go the cheap route which IMO is the best route: Drain and refill the fan clutch housing. Cost me $10 and about 1-hour of time (not including the 24-hour drain down time for the old fluid).

I filled mine with 10,000cst silicone which is heavier viscosity than stock. It stays locked up just fine now ;). You can buy the silicone from Toyota or any RC retailer in any viscosity. For more stock like performance I'd probably recommend filling with ~7,500cst.

Related links:
IH8MUD.com - View Single Post - New Fan Clutch Article I wrote
https://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota-truck-tech/167678-fan-clutch-service.html

Dan

We should trade fan clutch's, mine stays lock up all the time. :hillbilly:

I think I'll just use the Hayden and see how long it lasts. LandcruiserPhil is using one, but seems it's a heavy duty one that they don't offer anymore.

.../...mine stays lock up all the time. :hillbilly:
Exactly what I had... and so, not rebuildable
Baught an Aisin on Ebay (130$ delivered) put it on the LC and go...
Cdan is not my first choice only because having an english phone conversation is not confortable to me... but my skills are growing ;)

I don't have a trailer, there's no big mountain in my area but I drive a lot in town... T° never goes up than 87°c (188F), even last week when outside T° said 102° (and A/C not working but that's another and now fixed story)

Last edited:
Reminder
Fan clutch 16210-66020
oil 6000cst 08816-06001 (2 needed, 35ml)

My last trip (2 weeks ago) was Canada/Everglades, driving 12hours/days with a 1300lbs trailer, at 80mph most of the time.
The temp never get higher than the middle of the gauge.
IIRC, SCII never display more than 187°f (86°c) cooling temp
Are yours like that ?

I noticed a suddenly lower mpg 3 years ago (15 to 12.5)... maybe the beginning of the today trouble

What do you mean you don't have a trailer?

It might be me, but if I was driving 80 mph for 12 hours/day pulling a trailer, I would want the fan kicking on...maybe all the time while cruising. My temp. gauge has not reacted, mpgs have not fallen...I'm thinking it's not a problem in my LC (at least).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom