New Mexico Off-Highway Access Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bump for previous post.

I heard through a reliable source that NMOHVA is doing a feasibility study to determine if it's worth it to sue the NF so any help toward their defend fund will help them determine what they can afford.

let's get this done at the next meeting, a donation to their fund. then we will have another one in Jan.

Done and done. Jon will send $400 to NMOHVA per our meeting yesterday.

Jon,

Please let us know when this has been done.

Thanks.

Ali

membership dues to NMOHVA

mailto:shemphill@q.com

This is the message:

Did Jon send in the $100 membership a couple of months ago?

--------------------------------------------

Let's ask Jon, I'm not sure.

$400 mailed this morning.

mailto:shemphill@q.com

This is the message:

Did Jon send in the $100 membership a couple of months ago?

--------------------------------------------

Let's ask Jon, I'm not sure.

$400 mailed this morning.

Pappy,

How about the $100 membership fee?

Dear High Desert Cruisers:

A heart-felt thank-you from NMOHVA for your generous donation to our Land Access Fund. As you may know, the Santa Fe National Forest Travel Management decision closed over 75% of the roads and trails in the forest to motorized recreation. NMOHVA's appeal of the decision was denied. While disappointing, it was not unexpected. We have retained an attorney highly skilled in public lands issues and are currently weighing our options for challenging the decision in court. Litigation is very expensive. If we move ahead with our challenge, we will be calling on motorized recreation enthusiasts all across the state (and beyond) to help us fight our continued access. Donations like yours will be key to being able to make the Forest Service play by its own rules.

Thanks again!

Mark R. Werkmeister
NMOHVA Recreation Resource Director

DONATION RECEIPT

Thank you for your donation to the NMOHVA Access Defense Fund. Your donation will be used to preserve and protect motorized recreation trail access in New Mexico.

New Mexico Off Highway Vehicle Alliance is a registered 501(c)(3) organization.

Receipt number: 00048
Date: 30 Oct 2012
Amount: $400.00
Tender: Check

Donation received from:
High Desert Cruisers
swilliams@mercury.bernco.gov

Ya, but my star shines just bright enough that I can change my mind and make the quote go away :flipoff2:

Yeah, but did you follow the continuing resolution and pay the $100 membership fee to NMOHVA?

As far as an 80, I've been there and done that. I like my 4Runner (aka Prado) more.

Steve, OK I'll send the [STRIKE]check[/STRIKE] Paypal.

But, personally I have the perception that NMOVA is an ineffective organization and I don't like pissing money away. I would like to propose we have NMOVA back to one of our meetings to talk about their ACCOMPLISHMENTS. Not a sales pitch for more money. Not a talk about what they would like to do, or who they are. I want them to tell us what trails they have kept open, and tell us where they have failed so we as a group can draw our own objective conclusion.

I also want them to present their complete Federal 990s (with all schedules) for 2010 and 2011. I want to see where the money is going.

Last edited:
May be something to discuss at the next meeting.

Last edited:
BRC Executive Director in Town Tomorrow

Got the message below from a mailing list I'm on. The meet and greet will take place at 7 PM on Tuesday at the "conference room" at REDW which is located at 7425 Jefferson NE.

The Blue Ribbon Coalition’s Executive Director, Gregg Mumm, is in the final leg of his nationwide tour (see http://www.wearebrc.org/ for the details). The tour is designed to put Greg in personal, face to face contact with motorized recreationists across the country. This is a terrific opportunity to meet BRC’s director face to face and talk to him directly about your concerns and how BRC might be able to better serve all of us.

This invitation to meet Greg is for all members of NMOHVA and its members clubs, all BRC members, and any motorized recreationist (4WD, MC, ATV/UTV, snowmobile) who would like an opportunity to talk to Greg in person.

Please spread the word to your individual organizations by forwarding this email.

Thanks.

Mark Werkmeister
NMOHVA Board of Directors

I got to meet Greg at Black Hills CC. he's a very nice guy and very passionate about land use issues.

http://www.nmohva.org/main/issues.php?id=72&archive=0

"NMOHVA Files Lawsuit Against Santa Fe National Forest Travel Management Decision
Last Updated: December 11, 2012

The New Mexico Off Highway Vehicle Alliance (NMOHVA) filed a lawsuit against the Santa Fe National Forest in federal district court on December 10th. Our lawsuit contests the Forest's Travel Management decision signed by Forest Supervisor Maria T. Garcia on June 12th and upheld by the Region 3 Appeal Deciding Officer on October 2nd. Filing a lawsuit is a major commitment of NMOHVA's time and money. The NMOHVA Board thought long and hard about this and then voted unanimously to go ahead with legal action.

NEPA is an Effective Tool: NEPA requires that a full and fair analysis of environmental impact be made and disclosed to the public. NEPA is our only legal defense against route closures that are made when the Forest Service doesn't use a full and fair analysis. NMOHVA's lawsuit is based on facts in the agency's documents. These facts show the agendy violated many NEPA regulations. Violations include how the scientific analysis was completed, lack of data, and failure to properly examine how the closures will affect the public.

How the EIS Breaks the Law: If the EIS had been done honestly, it would not propose massive closures, because nothing in the EIS shows that vehicle use is causing significant forest-wide resource damage. There is not a single statement, study or piece of data saying vehicle use caused any specific problem in any specific place. But the EIS is not honest. Here are some examples of what we mean by that:

NEPA regulations say the EIS must disclose all the science and analysis and the decision must be based only on what is included in the EIS. But letters from the Santa Fe National Forest to green extremists show the agency decided to close trails in the Jemez Mountain salamander habitat before the EIS process was even started. It is illegal under NEPA to make decisions prior to the EIS. In other words, the EIS analysis of the salamander was just a smokescreen designed to hide the fact that a decision to close trails had already been made. Those dated letters are in the Project Record. The Project Record is the collection of over 900 documents that is the official record of all the work done to prepare the EIS.

The EIS ignores the studies of the agency's own scientists which concluded that motorized use isn't causing significant damage to anything. Those studies are part of the Project Record. Under NEPA, those conclusions cannot be omitted. The EIS made conclusions that contradict its own science. NEPA requires that the EIS be rational, consistent and based on proper science; this EIS violated those rules.

The EIS says irrational things. It claims trails must be closed because vehicles could run over a salamander. But the science in the Project Record says the Jemez Mountain salamander lives underground in rock crevices. The only time a salamander comes to the surface is on rainy summer nights.

The EIS rigged the results by excluding over 1800 miles of Forest Service system roads and trails from the study.

What Comes Next: It will probably take a year before the case is concluded and the court makes its decision.We often get asked, "What can we do that will really help keep roads and trails open?" With an active lawsuit on our hands, the answer gets really simple:

What YOU Can Do Right NOW: Donate to the NMOHVA Access Defense Fund!

Lawsuits are very expensive and only used when all other options have been exhausted and only when an issue is important enough to commit NMOHVA's limited resources. We have been trying to work with the Santa Fe National Forest since 2005 and they have refused to listen. The place to make a stand is here. The time to fight is now! We call on all of our members and friends to stand with us and help us fight this decision."

I guess we know if the donation $ is staying in NM now. we should donate our extra club $ now. this effects us directly more than any other issue they've tackled. I say go all in.:cheers:

I agree!!!:cheers:

I guess we know if the donation $ is staying in NM now. we should donate our extra club $ now. this effects us directly more than any other issue they've tackled. I say go all in.:cheers:

All in favour, say aye!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom