New member, New problem... Hi and Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Screenshot 2022-10-01 115609.png

Man this damn thing was a mess... but back to factory wiring now

I have fuel! My dumbass wired the fuel pump backwards. The replacement one was totally different than the original and the poles were not labeled and in opposite positions as the factory. Probably should have bench tested. Last problem is still that the key in ON does not seem to actuate the fuel pump. I am assuming EFI relay at this point, but it seemed to check out on a bench test.

I have fuel! My dumbass wired the fuel pump backwards. The replacement one was totally different than the original and the poles were not labeled and in opposite positions as the factory. Probably should have bench tested. Last problem is still that the key in ON does not seem to actuate the fuel pump. I am assuming EFI relay at this point, but it seemed to check out on a bench test.

When you turn the key on but not far enough to crank the engine does the CEL illuminate? If not then the EFI main relay is dead.

When you turn the key on but not far enough to crank the engine does the CEL illuminate? If not then the EFI main relay is dead.
Yes. But now I'm back to the first problem I had where its immediately blowing the EFI fuse. This is such a pita

The fuel pump only gets power when the starter is engaged or the engine is running, not with ignition on.

CHECK ALL FUSES !

- especially the main ENGINE fuses and resettable circuit breakers

\

do u have one off these yet in a REAL Paper print MEDIA format , its the size of a old yellow pages PHONE BOOK

if you do not have ?

its now your #1 MUST HAVE .........

report back if you have or MUST HAVE

thanks

matt

1664687402559.png

do u have one off these yet in a REAL Paper print MEDIA format , its the size of a old yellow pages PHONE BOOK

if you do not have ?

its now your #1 MUST HAVE .........

report back if you have or MUST HAVE

thanks

matt

Yeah, I need to get one. Just figured this was pretty simple.

I wasnt aware I had any resettable circuit breakers. And I certainly need an FSM. But what I have had to do so far is just return this thing to stock. Now I have at least a starting point. But I'll try to trace from behind the fuse block to see if there is some short I may have missed.

Following along. My brothers 62 developed this exact same scenario while in Ouray this August. We followed the wire diagram and tested every connection related (and mentioned above) and no luck. Finally swapped the ECU and it fired up. We still knew the problem had not been identified as something caused his original ECU to fail. Truck sat the last few weeks then my brother pulled it into the shop Saturday to change the battery terminal connectors and bam…the dam fuse is blowing again every time we turn the key on. We have spare EFI and COR relays and have played with every configuration. We even disconnected all the electrical ads-ons since he’s owned it (compressor, stereo, LED lights etc…) and no luck. I’m at the point I may pull the harness, inspect it ( repair if needed) and reinstall it.

OK, finally got through all this nonsense (at least so far). Even though the EFI relay passed continuity checks, it was getting hot to the touch (clearly not right). Replaced. Also ran new wires from harness to fuel pump. Now it starts and runs fine (WTF). Hopefully that was it! Also took to a shop down the road and had timing adjusted (was 5 degrees advance not the 11 ish (with vacuum advance) that works well on the 3FE) and the kickdown cable adjusted. Runs like a new (old/slow) truck!

I will say the timing and kickdown adjustment is like night and day different. If anyone hasn't had those checked or adjusted recently, do yourselves a favor. Feels like I gained 40hp (obviously not possible lol). Now I just have to button everything back up and hopefully shes good to go!

fj.jpg

Following along. My brothers 62 developed this exact same scenario while in Ouray this August. We followed the wire diagram and tested every connection related (and mentioned above) and no luck. Finally swapped the ECU and it fired up. We still knew the problem had not been identified as something caused his original ECU to fail. Truck sat the last few weeks then my brother pulled it into the shop Saturday to change the battery terminal connectors and bam…the dam fuse is blowing again every time we turn the key on. We have spare EFI and COR relays and have played with every configuration. We even disconnected all the electrical ads-ons since he’s owned it (compressor, stereo, LED lights etc…) and no luck. I’m at the point I may pull the harness, inspect it ( repair if needed) and reinstall it.
@CenTXFJ60 found the issue later. ARB compressor bracket was pinching a wire causing it to short.

This thing is a wiring mess. But it’s mostly sorted. Now headlights and horn don’t work. Probably just one of the 1000 fuses I moved around so I was not stuck in the middle of the interstate

Check grounds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom