new member just arrived from Iceland (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi everybody
I just moved from Iceland to Colorado and bought myself a 80 series, gotta have one of those. Had a diesel one in Iceland, I miss it.
I wanted to get all of your opinion about Icelandic lifted and modified 80 cruisers. If I lift mine Icelandic style would you guys like it, meaning that I am only here to attend school and I would have to be able to sell it again in two years or something like that :)
Tell me what you think, should I make my new one like the one I had in Iceland ???

thanks
618678_18_full.jpg

Welcome!

There are a lot of people who wet themselves over the Icelandic 80's so I would say yes, it would not be a bad idea. Of course resale on modified vehicles can sometimes be weird.

I like it. If it looks like that when you are done and going back to your home country, call me...:D

By the way, Iceland is my Father's origin...How is the home-country?

Enjoy the GEIT!

Welcome!

nah, nobody would like an icelandic 80, so when you leave, just give it to me... :)

Colorado is a pretty good market, but from what I've seen I think you'd do better taking it back to stock and selling the parts. 80 suspension and armor is very expensive and people are willing to spend top $$$, but you'll need luck to sell the whole package quickly for top $$$.

I bought a modified 80 last year in order to take advantage of what I am talking about. A 6" lifted '97 with 120K miles and your basic bumpers/sliders/roof rack package would probably max at about $15K, and that would be with full maintenance records and the big 90K stuff done. If you can't get a loan for the full buy, chances are it won't sell easily.

Max loan is typically 25% over retail. So if retail is $12,500, then max loan is $15,625.

Nay

Last edited:
Welcome dude .. but what a change .. From Iceland to Colorado .. ! woou .. :D

I have the great oportunity to seen a lots of artic trucks videos .. and all are awesome .. I thought you perform a great worh with fenders, gears, axles, turbos .. etc ..

landtank said:
Go ahead and mod the hell out of it. Then it can circle E-Bay along side Podvin's 100 for the next decade or so.

Gotta love the grumpy sarcasm of the Massachusetts folk. Just like my business partner.
Although, he has mellowed some since moving to Carmel, CA from the great city of Boston.

Anyway, don't discourage him from the mods, one of us can snap up a certain 80 for a fire sale price in about two years when a certain Icelander's student visa runs out and time to sell is running out...

Mr.Iceland said:
hi everybody
I just moved from Iceland to Colorado and bought myself a 80 series, gotta have one of those. Had a diesel one in Iceland, I miss it.
I wanted to get all of your opinion about Icelandic lifted and modified 80 cruisers. If I lift mine Icelandic style would you guys like it, meaning that I am only here to attend school and I would have to be able to sell it again in two years or something like that :)
Tell me what you think, should I make my new one like the one I had in Iceland ???

thanks
618678_18_full.jpg
Welcome! If you can do it here, let me know. I have an 80 that I would like to modify also. :)

Okay, kick my arse and call me stupid but, what is the big difference between the Iclander rigs and ours?
The one in his picture is sweet and all but it would seem that with an OME lift here and a roof rack there, and some off-set wheels, we could be looking exactly the same...
Am I way off base?

:confused:

Ahhhh man.........an Arctic truck....I about to weep openly. I would sell mine in a New York minute for one of them. I have seen many Modified LC's, the Iclandic LC beats em all. Bring one over..and bring spare parts ...like some wide fenders.
airlaird

hi everybody

thanks for all the replies, both positive and negative :)

there is some difference in what way we and you modify. for instance you guys put a 6" lift kit to put 35" tires we on the other hand lift 4" and put on 38" tires, to fit them we just cut the fenders away !!! this way we keep the center of gravity very low and we move the rear axel back about 6" to increase wheelbase (essential when floating on snow up on the glaciers) and in my opinion extremely cool :)

what would be a fair price for a 94 cruiser on 38" tires, with 144 on the clock and leather and 3rd row and you guys know the rest

here are some pics

618678_21_full.jpg

618678_16_full.jpg

The difference in how we mod our trucks is a reflection on how we use our trucks and where we drive them. I saw one up close an personal one day. I believe the reason for moving the rear axle backwards is to avoid issues with the rear door when cutting away for the 38" tires. Also they run 15" rims that are spaced out to clear the calipers, way out. The front arms are dropped by a welded on bracket. The sun roof gets removed for an escape hatch. While these mods make great sense on the polar cap they don't necessarily translate to great mods on a trail.

My earlier comment about Podvins truck is still a valid one. When that truck was first shown off everyone and their brother was drooling over it and would swap their left nut for it. That truck literally dominated the forum for weeks and it was all that everyone was talking about. He can't sell the thing no matter how many times it's up on EBay.

I personally would stick to mods that make sense down here because more will be able to associate with them than mods that are more specific to the arctic.

It should work pretty good in mud,ice,snow,sand &high water. Better departure angle. Don't they use 3" to 4" body lift? Double low? :confused:

lifting the 80

"there is some difference in what way we and you modify. for instance you guys put a 6" lift kit to put 35" tires we on the other hand lift 4" and put on 38" tires, to fit them we just cut the fenders away !!! this way we keep the center of gravity very low and we move the rear axel back about 6" to increase wheelbase (essential when floating on snow up on the glaciers) and in my opinion extremely cool "

I like the smaller lift thing/center of gravity thing. But I don't like the 38s and heres why.

Unimogs and Landcruisers have a lower center of gravity than most other 4x4s out there how ever the land cruiser is a SUV (or most of them) and that is not good for center of gravity. I think that most Americans lift there 4x4s to high. I think that 4" is just right on a cruiser or max maybe and the way that you cut the fenders is great (looks really good) what are thoughs flairs?

But the 38s are to big. 37" are max for the lc diffs in rough terran with the weight etc. And you don't have enough travel for our off road terran either.

Do a slee 4" 4.88s 35" and wheel spacer 1.25"

I say so what makes you happy, and if you truely are passionate and plan to keep for a long time dont sweat the resale, just do it how you deem fit.

Welcome iceland,

Nice truck pics especially the camo rig, but I'm not a fan of the icelandic style although I can appreciate them for what there are used for and the location they are found in.
A pet peav of mine is how the sidewalls Bulge on the icelandic cruisers. I like a real tight sidewall on my tire, more tall than wide although the stance of the rig must be real sound and strong b/c of the wide. I also move toward no fenders or small ones (stock) as opposed to those massive fenders, but if you build it they will come and there will be a buyer for the truck in the US as you can read from above posts.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom