New member from Ohio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New member here that just picked up a GX460. I'm at that age (almost 65) where my main priority was to maximize comfort. So I traded in a perfectly good 2021 Tacoma on a new 2023 GX460.

Plot twist. I made the mistake of letting my wife drive the GX. And it seems she decided she wants it instead of her 4Runner. She is all about the V8. I can't blame her, it's one of the things I love about it too.

So as bizarre at it may sounds, I am working a deal on another GX. Oh well, I wanted the red interior anyway.

I don't plan to mod these vehicles because we ae not off-roaders. But I still love reading all the posts.

Here's a crappy pic of the white one I picked up yesterday.

Thanks for having me in this fine community!

Woodsy460

image0.jpeg

Oops...it looks like I shouldn't have posted this first post in the tech section. My apologies.

Welcome! Let us know how the search for the 2nd one goes.

New member here that just picked up a GX460. I'm at that age (almost 65) where my main priority was to maximize comfort. So I traded in a perfectly good 2021 Tacoma on a new 2023 GX460.

Plot twist. I made the mistake of letting my wife drive the GX. And it seems she decided she wants it instead of her 4Runner. She is all about the V8. I can't blame her, it's one of the things I love about it too.

So as bizarre at it may sounds, I am working a deal on another GX. Oh well, I wanted the red interior anyway.

I don't plan to mod these vehicles because we ae not off-roaders. But I still love reading all the posts.

Here's a crappy pic of the white one I picked up yesterday.

Thanks for having me in this fine community!

Woodsy460

View attachment 3514296
Welcome to the forum!
No worries about owning two of them. My neighbors wife has two also, a pre 2013 and a 2021.
And for that matter, my wife and I both had 1998 100 series Landcruisers, same exterior color but different interiors colors. Although I modded mine for overlanding and we kept hers stock.
Do you and your wife even do any fire trails or anything in your neck of the woods?

Welcome. Don't forget to coat the undercarriage with lanolin based anti rust. There are quite a few there do it in Ohio pretty reasonably.

Welcome! Let us know how the search for the 2nd one goes.
Thank you. I found two dealers in the region that have exactly what I want, which is an Atomic Silver with red interior and the Sport Premium package. It's the same spec as the white one except color. They are currently refining their proposals and I will make the decision. I'm trying to decide if I'm just crazy, or full-on batshirt crazy for doing this. I've had a car problem all my life so chances are pretty high I will buy it lol. If I do I will post some pics.

Welcome to the forum!
No worries about owning two of them. My neighbors wife has two also, a pre 2013 and a 2021.
And for that matter, my wife and I both had 1998 100 series Landcruisers, same exterior color but different interiors colors. Although I modded mine for overlanding and we kept hers stock.
Do you and your wife even do any fire trails or anything in your neck of the woods?
Not even fire trails, just on the road. But we do get snow and our driveway has a small hill going up. It's enough that in the winter AWD/4WD is a necessity.

I do plan to take a few road trips over the next few years that could involve some mild off-road driving. Still not enough to justify a GX due to an offroad need. My justification for a GX is that I just love the rock-solid time-proven design and the V8 engine. I decided it's what I want to drive for the rest of my driving life. And based on my age, statistics, and reputation for reliability of the GX, I should be able to do just that.

Reactions: r2m
Welcome. Don't forget to coat the undercarriage with lanolin based anti rust. There are quite a few there do it in Ohio pretty reasonably.
Thanks. I will look into that. Any particular recommendations?

Not even fire trails, just on the road. But we do get snow and our driveway has a small hill going up. It's enough that in the winter AWD/4WD is a necessity.

I do plan to take a few road trips over the next few years that could involve some mild off-road driving. Still not enough to justify a GX due to an offroad need. My justification for a GX is that I just love the rock-solid time-proven design and the V8 engine. I decided it's what I want to drive for the rest of my driving life. And based on my age, statistics, and reputation for reliability of the GX, I should be able to do just that.
I agree with you on all points of wanting one and I'm probably only a couple months off from your age so I'm kind of where you're at, but with more of an off road bent..

Thanks. I will look into that. Any particular recommendations?
Fluid film, woolwax or Blaster Surface Shield is recommended. Fluid film is the original but they stink for the first week. Woolwax does not smell. Blaster surface shield supposed to last longer but if you buy in a can they clog all the time.
Where are you in Ohio? NEO Motorsports is around Cleveland. D&R Motors in Columbus or Backyard Yodas in Bellbrook.

I agree with you on all points of wanting one and I'm probably only a couple months off from your age so I'm kind of where you're at, but with more of an off road bent..
I rode dirt bikes most of my life until age and spine problems put an end to that. So I do love off roading. And if I do any mild fire road type cruising in the future the GX is the way I would want to get it done.

Like I said I have some tentative visions of a road trip or two out west where I might get the GX a touch dirty, but I have to see how things go near term before I can make any plans.

Fluid film, woolwax or Blaster Surface Shield is recommended. Fluid film is the original but they stink for the first week. Woolwax does not smell. Blaster surface shield supposed to last longer but if you buy in a can they clog all the time.
Where are you in Ohio? NEO Motorsports is around Cleveland. D&R Motors in Columbus or Backyard Yodas in Bellbrook.

I am south of Dayton and north of Cincy.

Turns out the local dealer in Dayton has the exact car I want used. It's a 2022 with 30k miles. Business guy cruised it down the highway and barely broke it in. They want $51 but I 'm sure I can get it under $50,, maybe $48-49. If I don't like their trade offer on the 4Runner I have an offer I like from Vroom for my 4Runner ($41k).

This makes makes more sense and I feel a little less crazy for buying two GXs in three days lol. Essentially, I am trading a 21 4Runner plus $8k for the 22 GX. (not includeing taxes, etc.). I will probably go get it today.

Turns out the local dealer in Dayton has the exact car I want used. It's a 2022 with 30k miles. Business guy cruised it down the highway and barely broke it in. They want $51 but I 'm sure I can get it under $50,, maybe $48-49. If I don't like their trade offer on the 4Runner I have an offer I like from Vroom for my 4Runner ($41k).

This makes makes more sense and I feel a little less crazy for buying two GXs in three days lol. Essentially, I am trading a 21 4Runner plus $8k for the 22 GX. (not includeing taxes, etc.). I will probably go get it today.
I test drove the used GX today. The previous owner had "customized" the car with some pin striping and her name. It was painted on.
Got in and started driving and I was overwhelmed by the smell. It smelled like the previous owner was a heavy smoker and they tried to cover it up with some type of product. It was awful. It needed tires and it didn't drive very well at all. Seemed like the steering wasn't tight, which doesn't make sense with only 30k on the clock.

When I left, I called the girl in Lexington and bought the new one. They can deliver it sometime next week depending on their schedule or I can just go get it Tuesday. Patience isn't my strong point so i will probably just go get it.

I owned 3 at one time , I was a little embarrassed so I changed the logo/badging and name to "Landcruiser Prado "
Still, they all look the same .

• Haha
I owned 3 at one time , I was a little embarrassed so I changed the logo/badging and name to "Landcruiser Prado "
Still, they all look the same .
Hahaha. Thanks, that makes me feel a little more sane.

I do not regret the decision one bit to get the wife and I each one. We are getting old, and the vehicle is just a perfect fit for us.

The large grab handles at each door, and the seat/steering moving back really make it easier on an older person to get in and out. Took my 88 year old mom for a ride the other day and she grabbed the handle and was in the back seat before I could even help her. She always had a hard time with the folding ones. That made it worth it to me right there. :)

I'm older than you , 68 in Jan 2024.
I do not need grab handles , however , to get in after it is started is kind of difficult cuz the seat is already in place .

Looks like Lexus is moving away from the spindle grill , trying to at least , it is kind of "in your face " or obnoxious looking :)

I'm older than you , 68 in Jan 2024.
I do not need grab handles , however , to get in after it is started is kind of difficult cuz the seat is already in place .

Looks like Lexus is moving away from the spindle grill , trying to at least , it is kind of "in your face " or obnoxious looking :)
Yeah, that grill is a face only a mother could love. Fortunately, when I'm driving it I don't have to look at it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom