New-ish Member/100 series owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got my 100, Natasha, about 2 years ago now. She's a '99 and came with a 2" OME lift, stock rear locker, and a broken CV joint. Since then, we've had our ups and downs: she's had her fair share of issues. But I think we've got things working now. We are in AZ, and like getting out quite a bit. I've been a member for a little while because I was looking for some technical help a while back. I'll list some of the problems/solutions below (The Saga).

Problem: Broken CV
Solution: Replace both CVs and install Slee diff drop.

Problem: Crunched rear bumper, and bent lower control arm (from extracting the car) in Utah
Solution: Custom bumper built by my brother, and installed used control arm.
991-jpeg.1394427

People ask how I managed this, as the road appears flat. It wasn't flat, but I'm still not sure how I managed this one. The rear end slid over instead of going over the rock.​

Problem: Engine immobilzer wouldn't turn off.
Solution: (After many dead ends) New master key, and new immobilizer antenna.

Problem: Crunched rocker panels from sliding on snowy shelf road.
Solution: (Recent) Custom sliders built by my brother.
10751-jpeg.1394429

Whoops!​

Problem: Leaky rear axle seal.
Solution: Replace rear axle seal (x2 after doing incorrectly the first time).

Problem: Worn lower ball joints.
Solution: Pressed in new ball joints.

Problem: Ventilation fan stopped working (an issue during AZ summers)
Solution: (After much time spent diagnosing) Replace fan relay.

Problem: Engine immobilizer malfunction (again!!)
Solution: Replace fuse box. The fuses were not blowing, but melting. Also, replaced sending unit on gas tank because that had crapped out too.

Problem: Bent exhaust pipe after getting stuck
Solution: New section of exhaust pipe, and routing it differently to (hopefully) avoid that again.
3693-jpeg.1394428

Bending the exhaust pipe. Whoops!​

Problem: Complete brake failure, warning lights, and warning noise
Solution: (After much time spent diagnosing) Replaced entire brake pump/master cylinder assembly. The solenoids on the assembly stopped working. Replaced one brake relay. This was pricey.

Problem: Truck pulling oddly while turning driving up hill. I was convinced it was something with the steering, but figured out it was the differential disintegrating after it blew up. This makes perfect sense in retrospect.
Solution: Gears and an ARB locker from Just Differentials.

Problem: All front axle and drive shaft seals leak after I had the ARB installed.
Solution: New front axle seals.

Problem: Bent lower control arm after sticking it on a rock. (Same one as before)
Solution: Yet another used control arm (still waiting for it to arrive).

Modifications/Upgrades during repair:

2" OME Lift
Slee Diff Drop
ARB front bumper
10,000 lb. Superwinch
ANZO lights
Stock Rear Locker
ARB Front Locker- wired into stock 80 series switch and dash light (I'll make a post about this wiring)
Constant Duty ViAir compressor with 2.5 gallon tank
Custom Sliders
Custom Rear Bumper (I'll make a post about this build).

Current Status:
20170128_175150-jpg.1394470

At Chiva Falls near Tucson, AZ
20170121_155817-jpg.1394471

Getting through "The Squeeze" on the Sutherland Trail near Tucson, AZ.​

991.jpeg

3693.jpeg

10751.jpeg

20170128_175150.jpg

20170121_155817.jpg

Looks good son.

The immobilizer antenna and tech stream reflash didn't fix the immobilizer the first time, it was the amplifier.

All of which was secondary to the fuse box all along but we replaced everything but the ECU on that system.

I got my 100, Natasha, about 2 years ago now...

Modifications/Upgrades during repair:
Constant Duty ViAir compressor with 2.5 gallon tank

Hello. Any info/tips/comments/pictures or a writeup on this? Location on the truck? How well has it worked? Air for locker only or tires or pneumatic tools? Any info would be great.

Cheers!
rjones

Hello. Any info/tips/comments/pictures or a writeup on this? Location on the truck? How well has it worked? Air for locker only or tires or pneumatic tools? Any info would be great.

Cheers!
rjones

I put the compressor under the hood, behind the air intake. I just switch the mounting platform to a slee battery holder. I had a custom bracket before. The picture is of the compressor mostly installed on the Slee platform.
20190607_202229.jpg

The tank is where the spare tire used to be under the truck on a custom bracket. I use it for lockers, tires, and occasionally air tools. It's not great for long air tool usage. I'm out of the country right now, so can't get you any other photos right now, but feel free to ask any other questions.

I'm out of the country right now, so can't get you any other photos right now, but feel free to ask any other questions.
Thank you very much for taking the time. In that same location I relocated my winch control pack and I still have my AHC so that spot is out for me. I'm thinking of installing it under one of the wings of my KISS drawers. Can you comment on how loud it is? Lastly, would you purchase it again / do you regret the choice?

Cheers!
rjones

Thank you very much for taking the time. In that same location I relocated my winch control pack and I still have my AHC so that spot is out for me. I'm thinking of installing it under one of the wings of my KISS drawers. Can you comment on how loud it is? Lastly, would you purchase it again / do you regret the choice?

Cheers!
rjones

It is pretty loud. I would probably not mount it inside the vehicle. Also, it gets super hot so may have some issues if it is inside the car. I've seen people mount them under the truck where the spare used to be. It would easily fit next to the tank there.

I don't regret it, but it is not super fast when filling tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom