New 100 Series Owner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody,
Brand new LC owner here. 2004 Cruiser with only 163k on the dash. Before I bought took some time to research in here and felt like despite the age, the potential reliability of these vehicles when cared for far outweighed the potential negatives, especially considering the overall used car market right now.

I live in the Northeast, so there is some rusting but No major rust on the frame so thats good. First thing I did was take it into my mechanic to get fluids baseline, then to a toyota dealer to get my timing belt/water pump replaced. Those seem to be the top things.

I need new wheel bearings but I'm not trying to pay dealer labor prices and One of the main reasons I bought this car is cause I want to learn how to wrench on it myself.

I'm actually good w/ tools but I've never worked extensively on a car myself, just battery and brake changes. If anyone knows someone willing to teach, I'm willing to pay to learn. Seems like a solid forum overall, looking forward to getting plenty knowledge 👍🏾

1698181313499961424537913835876.jpg

Welcome! I'm partial to the '04s myself, good year. Sounds like you're off to a good start. This place is a wealth of info. All the best.

Hey everybody,
Brand new LC owner here. 2004 Cruiser with only 163k on the dash. Before I bought took some time to research in here and felt like despite the age, the potential reliability of these vehicles when cared for far outweighed the potential negatives, especially considering the overall used car market right now.

I live in the Northeast, so there is some rusting but No major rust on the frame so thats good. First thing I did was take it into my mechanic to get fluids baseline, then to a toyota dealer to get my timing belt/water pump replaced. Those seem to be the top things.

I need new wheel bearings but I'm not trying to pay dealer labor prices and One of the main reasons I bought this car is cause I want to learn how to wrench on it myself.

I'm actually good w/ tools but I've never worked extensively on a car myself, just battery and brake changes. If anyone knows someone willing to teach, I'm willing to pay to learn. Seems like a solid forum overall, looking forward to getting plenty knowledge 👍🏾

View attachment 3464365
NICE!!

Welcome to the sickness.

Welcome to the forum. Get some fluid film on the undercarriage to stop the existing rust from getting any worse.
That's my mission today actually. Now should I try and wire brush some if it off, or just do fluid film this year and wait till next year to do a more thorough cleaning?

I would wire brush it off where you can and knock and scale off. Also wheel bearings aren't too bad of a job and there are some really good videos on how to go about it. Cruiser tech sells a kit to replace them with instructions. You will need a brass drift and an axle nut socket but other than that the other tools are pretty common.

Welcome -- you're in the right place. Post up your questions and you'll get answers! (usually correct ones! :rofl:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom