New Inside Sleeping Platform Setup - Millard Memory Foam (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got to try out my new sleeping setup last weekend with the wife. It worked wonderfully. I built a simple drawer/storage system out of plywood to serve as a base for a Millard Trifold Memory Foam Mattress. I would say the mattress sleeps as well as any budget memory foam mattress. I didn't have any issues with chemical smells or heat retention (although it was in the low 40's).

My storage platform is a two-piece setup where the front can be removed if I want to have the second row seats installed. The top of the platform is basically even with the top of the wheel wells. You would have very limited headroom if you used this mattress with the second row seats still installed. The mattress is a queen and is a tight fit, the front seats have to be slid forward for it to unfold. Comfort wise I don't think it can be beat. Pardon my gray door and missing panel, I'm converting the interior to all black and have procrastinated on the door upholstery.
IMG_20180207_191947.jpg
db00eee5-9bfc-4ce8-a5d8-5d5f6bd10028_1.04244943fc135ef608371ec288b7de5a.jpeg
signal-2018-03-03-170804-1.jpg

Thanks for the review. We still need to settle on a mattress for our hiker trailer.

I was just on Amazon looking for mattress options for this reason and this is exactly what I'm about to do. How do you like the mattress? Have you found a better option or are you satisfied with the Milliard?

I just got to try out my new sleeping setup last weekend with the wife. It worked wonderfully. I built a simple drawer/storage system out of plywood to serve as a base for a Millard Trifold Memory Foam Mattress. I would say the mattress sleeps as well as any budget memory foam mattress. I didn't have any issues with chemical smells or heat retention (although it was in the low 40's).

My storage platform is a two-piece setup where the front can be removed if I want to have the second row seats installed. The top of the platform is basically even with the top of the wheel wells. You would have very limited headroom if you used this mattress with the second row seats still installed. The mattress is a queen and is a tight fit, the front seats have to be slid forward for it to unfold. Comfort wise I don't think it can be beat. Pardon my gray door and missing panel, I'm converting the interior to all black and have procrastinated on the door upholstery.View attachment 1648542 View attachment 1648543 View attachment 1648544
Not sure if you’ll see this as this posting is over a year old. But just wondering how do you support the second part of the platform where the 2nd row would be. Is it on a hinge? Or just something like 2x4s underneath to prop it up? Thanks!

I think REI has their own generic MegaMat product. Same thing but cheaper.

My sleeping platform is very similar to yours only I built drawers into mine. I bought a regular full futon mattress from IKEA. Fits like a glove and sleeps two incredibly comfortably. It is easy to remove because it bends easilly but is thick enough to feel just like a regular bed mattress. I have slept many nights on it, even in really cold weather. Just need a sleeping bag rated for the temperature. What is nice about sleeping in the truck is that you don't feel the wind and all of your stuff is handy. Wake up, clean up, eat some food and drive away. Your campsite is mobile and goes with you. If you are hunting / hiking, you can take a mid-day nap as well. Your bed is always with you and you don't have set-up time or weather exposure. If it is pouring rain just climb over the seat and get in bed. In the morning, just climb over the seat and drive away.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom