New here need help on buying (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know anything can be fixed, but to me, starting with a good platform is more important than initial cost.

It depends on what you want to do as well... mine is a piece a s*** because I want to build a car.. FJ40's are sweet and easy to work on.. I wouldn't be as satisfied at the end of it all if someone had already done most of the work for me.. but I do see your point.

Like I said before, The rig for the trail is good-to-go and I have plenty of room and time for the other to do a ground up.
The leftover hood from my old Newport has enough metal in it to do the whole body if I went that way.:)

Even if I didn't build either, I should be able to get my money back in parts alone.

Last edited:
i wish i had that prob!!! jump on them all!!!

There's a guy in Ellsworth, ME who might have some parts. That's probably a 2 hour ride for you at the minimum.

How about a twist. in a couple of days, almost 2 fjs are arriving, another from a co-worker in a couple of weeks. And today, I found a one with a diesel, 6" skyjacker lift, 35" x10.5 tyres for $1000. All I really want is the motor, and was thinking of parting out the rest to recoup some money.

When I finish mine I want it to look box-stock

Yes go with flow ,I mean the addiction.
I don't know ,,something about these cruisers attracts me to them. It must be the rust, I mean the addiction again. It is like looking at woman and seeing beauty that is covered by tons of other less appealing things and needs to be revealed ,offcourse by non other than you.
By the way I want to ask this question :which maybe I souldn't ask.
Is there any rehab for this addiction??
I need help just like you all.
I only started late, but I am sure I inherted the bug when I was in my primery school, looking at cruisers and landrovers cruising by around the Sahara desert in the sixties and early seventies.
You know what your biggest problem is going to be.
yes..
The addiction. This addiction begets another addiction
which is ( cruiser websites like this one).
So buy them all and rest your head and get ready for
a lot of ups and downs. Good luck to you, I like how you are making excuses already fishing................
Just make sure to get a good cam for all the pics that we are also addicted to.
Myself I would never get to restore one, even if I wanted to.
I feel bitter sweet when I see them restored . I am only hapy to have one that I can drive . I am not .....saying anymore
What heck.
Vic

How about a twist. in a couple of days, almost 2 fjs are arriving, another from a co-worker in a couple of weeks. And today, I found a one with a diesel, 6" skyjacker lift, 35" x10.5 tyres for $1000.

Dude, you are blessed!!!

Woah there, I think I fell in love. . . again

I had my plan in place, and BAM. everything changed. I had a GOOD look at the bj. Frame - excellent, Motor runs good, body not bad considering it's been a bush buggy, BIG WINCH on ft bumper(although electric), ft and rear lockers, 6" suspension lift, and clear title.

On the down side, tyres and rims are garbage, there is something wrong with the clutch, and my wife giving me that 'not another one' look. But hey, I have brought home worse junk, so I guess the only down side is the tyres and clutch.

Does anybody need parts ? I will have 4 of these things and want to get back some of my money back. keep in mind I am on the east coast of Canada.

You can check out some of the other pics at http://picasaweb.google.com/MAUGER

post script. Got the rusty one running. There was a one wire distributer in the motor that I had a bugger of a time to get out. Put in a three wire, hooked it up hotwired it poured gas in the bowl and the thing actually ran. noisy on the top end though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom