I’m new around here, hello! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time FJ40 fan and now on my 2nd one. The last one I had was in high school 30 yrs ago. I am currently in the trenches of a complete nut and bolt resto-mod on my 1978. So far I have the frame sandblasted and painted , modified for power steering, rebuilt axles, knuckles, brakes, rear disc conversion, and it’s now a roller. After many months of indecision on what power train to use I have decided to go with the 5.3 LS so that I can get a 4L60e automatic...I’ve shifted enough gears in my life, and my wife or kids might want to drive it. I am having a lot of trouble finding any information on what is needed, and where to mount the LS motor and transmission, all in one place. A guy could spend a whole week combing through the threads to find what he’s looking for but I have come up empty handed. Any info or direction would be much appreciated. Also, I should have a Topnault complete tub, front fenders, hood, and windshield frame delivered by the end of the week and will give my review once I do. Pictures are of when I got it and what it looks like today.

IMG_3567.jpeg

IMG_3566.jpeg

IMG_3377.jpeg

IMG_3380.jpeg

Maybe when they get the 10 speed slop bucket perfected I'd consider an auto. Looks Nice. LS seams like a good choice these days.

Ok, I've gotta ask: why are you replacing the tub, etc? Your 40 appears to be in great shape!

The Topnault stuff seems ok, and they appear to be committed to improving their product, but it's not Toyota.
Once it was stripped it uncovered a ton of rust and bondo. I’m not doing the bodywork myself and can’t justify spending the money to have a patchwork tub that may or may not have rust forming in seams etc. I agree it’s not Toyota but I’m not building it to sell or put in a museum.

Once it was stripped it uncovered a ton of rust and bondo. I’m not doing the bodywork myself and can’t justify spending the money to have a patchwork tub that may or may not have rust forming in seams etc. I agree it’s not Toyota but I’m not building it to sell or put in a museum.
By the time you put in all new patch panels everywhere, not much Toyota left right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom