New H55F 5 speed shifter issues, wont shift out of neutral (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got almost everything completed on my 5 speed swap on my1981 HJ47. But before I install the newly modified drive shafts, I wanted to make sure the 5 speed shifts correctly, knowing that the shifter assembly (top cover) needs to be installed with the shift forks properly engaged. The problem is when I bolt on the top cover and shifter, it wont shift. It seems to be in neutral. The shifter will move side to side, but will not engage any of the gears. I tried adjusting the clutch thinking maybe that was the issue, but no change. With the shifter assembly on the bench, I cant get the shifter to move the forks?? The truck isn’t powered up yet, so this is with the truck just sitting in the shop. Shouldn’t I be able to get it in gear using the clutch at this point? This tranny is new out of the box, but has been sitting for 4 years in my garage. Any help from the members would save me some stress and a trip to my local transmission shop.
7F516E84-BB01-42CA-B94A-42E032CADAD8.jpeg

With the shifter assembly on the bench, I cant get the shifter to move the forks??

This would seem to indicate the problem has nothing to do with the clutch or transmission.
Do the forks move by hand? Is there something binding when you view the movement?

Are the two bushings in place on the bottom of the gear stick.. if you physically lift the stick up whilst trying to change gear does that work?

Two years ago I installed a new H55 that had sat in my garage for five years. It's a frame-resto so the clutch is not even functional and I can engage all six gears no problem, so there must be somthing going on with yours. On the other hand, I've never removed the top plate so it probably is related to that.

Copy that on the 5th gear fork; I’ll check that tomorrow. I cant see, looking at the shift tower mechanism, why it’s binding, but there’s a lot of engineering going on there that I’m not familiar with. I think something is in the wrong position, either in the shift tower or the transmission. I have moved the shift collars around when reinstalling the shift tower. It seemed to only fit on there if everything was properly aligned, but maybe it could go on even though it wasn’t aligned correctly. Shift collars to shift forks speaking. I think that Billmc there has the right thought. His shifted fine, BUT, it’s shift tower wasn’t removed and I’m sure now that thats where the problem lies. Not the transmission itself, but the shifter assembly being locked.
Thanks for the input guys!!!!

If you look down the hole where the shift lever goes you should see what looks like a square box when all of the shift rods/hence shift forks are in the neutral position
There is a pin that sticks out into the ‘square box’ for the reverse rail. If you don’t see a square that means one of the shift rods is in the in gear position. Move the offending one with screwdriver or by pushing on the shift fork to get to the square box position. The shift rails have interlock pins between so you can only select one gear at at time. The so call ‘square box’ allows the shifter lever end to move across the box so it can push/ pull in which ever shift rail you have selected. If you don’t the square formed by the shifter rail blocks it is one gear.
Clear as mud. However if you sit and think it through you will understand what is happening as you move the various shift rails/blocks.

Thanks jb

Thanks JB, I’ll stare at it for awhile and see if I can understand what your describing. I knew something was not in the right position. I’ll probably have a few more questions as I become one with this box : )
Thanks again !

In your 1st post there is a pic of the top plate. With the top plate removed, You should be able to push the shift forks around by hand, or drop in the shifter stalk and move it through the gear pattern. Can you do this? If you can’t, the problem is the top plate. That thing is very complicated. I’d take it to an old school transmission person.

You’re right, it is locked and I can’t figure out how to get it unlocked. Nothing moves more than a 1/4”. It’s time for a professional !! That happens sometimes. I need a master class in H55F tech. I only took the top plate off to get clearance so it could roll under my truck making it easier for the install. Of course I moved the shift forks around trying to understand its engineering. Seems that that shortcut turned out to be the long way around. Should have left it buttoned up. Another lesson learned.

Pull the shift lever out and follow @kiwidog 's post above. It will make sense once you can see it. I bet you could get it un-bound yourself. It really should be a one Banana job.

Looking at the picture. It looks to me the reverse shifter rail is in the in gear position. That’ s the one second from the right. You have to pusn the rail/ fork towards the top of the picture. You have push pretty hard because you are over coming the detent ball and spring.it will make a-slight pop sound when moves to the neutral detent. Haven’t had an H55 a part for many years. There is post of mine on mud here some where with a machining fix for one of the countershaft bearing surfaces. It is quite good even if I do say so myself.
The reverse usually is the most likely shift fork to cause problems.
Hang in there and try and get yourself you will feel much better about it than going to a so called professional.

jb

Give Georg at Valley Hybrids a call. He is great with transmissions. He is very helpful over the phone for these kinds of issues.

Thanks again everyone. I have a really good transmission shop 15 minutes away, so I took the top plate with shifter over for a look. After about 5 minutes the tech moved the rail that JB mentioned above. That unlocked it. They didn't even charge me. I bought em lunch. I’ll keep George at Valley Hybrids in mind if I get in another jam. And as far as the Clutch plate being backwards; that has me worried. Keeping
C259DD58-D8E6-4DBD-8AFE-481D3A4D2FFA.jpeg
my fingers crossed, I think I got it right??

It would be fantastic if someone made a little video of the top plate operating off the gearbox. Seems a very common box.

Thanks again everyone. I have a really good transmission shop 15 minutes away, so I took the top plate with shifter over for a look. After about 5 minutes the tech moved the rail that JB mentioned above. That unlocked it. They didn't even charge me. I bought em lunch. I’ll keep George at Valley Hybrids in mind if I get in another jam. And as far as the Clutch plate being backwards; that has me worried. Keeping View attachment 1985289my fingers crossed, I think I got it right??
so this is the alignment in neutral?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom