New GX 460 Owner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently picked up this two owner 2015 GX with about 93k miles about 3 weeks ago from a local dealer. I traded in a Fiesta ST since I needed more space. It was a squeeze to pick up three kids from school so I made the jump to the GX.

So far I'm loving it, aside from the gas mileage. Super comfy and quiet plus the kids would rather take my car instead of mom's car (Honda Odyssey).

I am trying to keep the mod list in check. The only things I've ordered so far are new fender liners from ARK and a trailer hitch for my bike rack. The windows are getting tinted next week. 30% on the fronts and 70% windshield. Would it be worth it to add tint on top of the rears? Or is it not worth the bother?

It came with Michelin Defender LTX M/S with a decent amount of tread but the build dates are from early 2017. Should I spring for new rubber or wait till these wear out?

I'm fairly set on a Dobinsons IMS 2" lift. If the tires need to be replaced, the decision to put new tires on the stock wheels or get a set of 17" wheels and tires. Tire choice goes up significantly with 17s but is there change in ride comfort or offroad prowess? Can I get by without UCAs and diff drop?

52391964342_c546f9baff_h.jpg

Also some pics of the older cars before the kids were around.

22872938623_a9ebfec930_h.jpg

20273586060_250d7c848f_h.jpg

11240128034_63d806d703_h.jpg

Five year old tires are fine so long as there isn't a lot of dry rot/cracking present, if they were 8+ years old then I'd suggest replacing them. Congrats on the new to you GX.

Ditto on tires. I had some old goodyears on mine with barely any tread from 2015. They had dry rot and still did a 4,000 mile road trip last year before I replaced them. I originally wanted some 17's but decided to go mild with 32" in 255/70R18 and keep stock wheels. I've been super happy with this choice. There is minimal rubbing only at full lock, but I installed sliders and I'm pretty sure that is gone now. Just depends what you want out of your build, but I've had 17's and now 18's and don't notice on highway difference and really unless you are crawling up wet limestone you largely won't notice the difference. I went with 255/70R18 cause they are naturally skinny and if I need to air down I can, but that said they are P-metric, so I won't go lower than 15psi either way.

The natural Fiesta ST to GX pipeline continues. I traded my 2015 performance blue Fiesta for a 2017 GX a couple years ago.

You don't need a diff drop for a 2 inch lift. I would suggest getting aftermarket UCAs so you don't have to lift, try to align, then order UCAs and take everything apart again. You might be able to get aligned within spec on the factory arms, but you'll be just in-spec and probably maxed out on adjustment. You may want to look into KDSS spacers and a panhard relocation/correction bracket as well.
5 year old Michelins should be fine, but a good set of All Terrains really does a lot to fix the tall minivan look of a stock GX even before you lift and cover in rotopaxes and traction boards and lightbars.
When I bought my GX from Carmax, it had basically brand new cheapo Ironman SUV tires on it. I pretty quickly replaced with a set of 265/70/17 Pirelli ATs and they handle better on road and off road. Replacing Michelins with all terrains may be a bit different but it's not going to ruin the on-road comfort unless you get E load rated or a ridiculous mud tire.

There must be a Golf R to GX pipeline too. Though I kept my R.

The stock spare tire well is limited in size to about 31.7". KDSS spacers can get you a little bit more space. Unless they're really large, 265/70R17s likely will fit with the stock 6500 lb hitch but you may need to loosen it and slide it all the way back and/or do a little grinding. There's a lower capacity hitch that might add a little more clearance.

I suggest watching the suspension videos by "Tinkerer's Adventure" on youtube. He disassembles stuff and shows how it really works, puncturing some myths around Toyota IFS suspension. My plans are for extended travel ("mid travel" or about 1" more travel) and a lift of 1-1.5". Exploring not rock crawling.

For some weird reason, 17" tires with more actual material in them cost less than 18"ers of the same outer diameter. It probably would take a number of sets to make up for the cost of wheels unless you went the used FJcruiser/4Runner wheel route, but it's a factor. The taller sidewalls will ride a little smoother.

There must be a Golf R to GX pipeline too. Though I kept my R.

The stock spare tire well is limited in size to about 31.7". KDSS spacers can get you a little bit more space. Unless they're really large, 265/70R17s likely will fit with the stock 6500 lb hitch but you may need to loosen it and slide it all the way back and/or do a little grinding. There's a lower capacity hitch that might add a little more clearance.

I suggest watching the suspension videos by "Tinkerer's Adventure" on youtube. He disassembles stuff and shows how it really works, puncturing some myths around Toyota IFS suspension. My plans are for extended travel ("mid travel" or about 1" more travel) and a lift of 1-1.5". Exploring not rock crawling.

For some weird reason, 17" tires with more actual material in them cost less than 18"ers of the same outer diameter. It probably would take a number of sets to make up for the cost of wheels unless you went the used FJcruiser/4Runner wheel route, but it's a factor. The taller sidewalls will ride a little smoother.
Hot hatches are really fun. That's all I drove in my 20s. Now that I'm 36, I just want something comfy and bulletproof. The GX does both things perfectly for me.

Thanks for the info. I've already watched Tinkerer's videos. He does a great job at explaining the science. I was actually surprised that a 3" lift on the GX460 actually yields less total articulation. I won't be going over a 2" lift so that is perfect for me.

I just installed a Class III hitch. It was kind of a pain though. I had to deflate the spare to get the bolt holes to line up. I wonder if it was rear ended and it didn't end up on the Carfax. The rear bumper has pretty terrible clearcoat so I am assuming that.

No, the Class III hitch will just ever so slightly interfere with a 32" spare if not modified or without letting air out of the spare.

Hot hatches are really fun. That's all I drove in my 20s. Now that I'm 36, I just want something comfy and bulletproof. The GX does both things perfectly for me.
I went from a Miata to the Fiesta because my dog was too big. After 4 years I decided I wanted something more comfortable, so naturally I cross shopped a Civic Type R, Stinger, and GX against each other because I am normal. I went with the GX after realizing my wife has zero interest in going fast and I may have freaked out a little in 2020 and decided that being able to drive over/through/around things has some value.
I miss hucking a sports car down a back road or on ramp, but off roading and its associated modifications still lets me scratch my enthusiast itch.

Build your GX as you intend to use it. If you are more about looks and basic gravel Forest Service roads, stick with the 18's and go +1 or +2 in tire size height. Remove the running boards trim down to basic plastic along with trimming the front and rear plastic bumpers. At this point the GX will be far more capable that most folks will ever push it.

I recently picked up this two owner 2015 GX with about 93k miles about 3 weeks ago from a local dealer. I traded in a Fiesta ST since I needed more space. It was a squeeze to pick up three kids from school so I made the jump to the GX.

So far I'm loving it, aside from the gas mileage. Super comfy and quiet plus the kids would rather take my car instead of mom's car (Honda Odyssey).

I am trying to keep the mod list in check. The only things I've ordered so far are new fender liners from ARK and a trailer hitch for my bike rack. The windows are getting tinted next week. 30% on the fronts and 70% windshield. Would it be worth it to add tint on top of the rears? Or is it not worth the bother?

It came with Michelin Defender LTX M/S with a decent amount of tread but the build dates are from early 2017. Should I spring for new rubber or wait till these wear out?

I'm fairly set on a Dobinsons IMS 2" lift. If the tires need to be replaced, the decision to put new tires on the stock wheels or get a set of 17" wheels and tires. Tire choice goes up significantly with 17s but is there change in ride comfort or offroad prowess? Can I get by without UCAs and diff drop?
Trading in the Fiesta for the GX for more room is an understatement! You could probably fit that Fiesta INSIDE the GX!!
Tinting: For me the rear tint is quite good, unless you really want limo dark. But again, when we're off roading or road trips, we like the view to be unfiltered. See the true blues, greens, etc. and not through tinted windows. But that's us.
Tires and lift: You will be very disappointed with the look when you add our lift and not get larger tires. Seeing how you're a tire and suspension guy from your pic's, I'm sure this will top your list of mods. When I purchased my GX, I had lots of rubber on very nice stock wheels. Tossed straight away and upgraded.

If you will be going off-road, I would suggest 17's for the extra sidewall and cheaper tires. I would also suggest installing UCA's with your lift. They will maintain the handling of your GX on and off-road and help keep your alignment where it needs to be. As mentioned above, do it all at one - lift, tires, and wheels. The GX will look funny with stock 18's, thin tires, and a lift :).

FYI I'm around an hour south of St. Louis. There is a lot of good wheeling down here, although GX's are just wide enough that our trails leave a lot of pinstripes :).

Raptor liner for the win. I cannot wait to do my rig in ODG.
Definitely happening to mine in olive drab too one day! I think it will clean up OK with one cut and polish....after that the clear is going to be done!

Either ODG or desert tan. Matte finish, of course.😊
Because of where I live, probably desert tan.

Liner is a pita to keep clean. The dirt clings to the pores.

Either ODG or desert tan. Matte finish, of course.😊
Because of where I live, probably desert tan.

I’ll do FDE on some spots for contrasting colors. Like the front metal bumper.

Reactions: r2m
I just booked an appointment at Adventure Motors KC for a Dobinsons IMS kit and Ironman UCAs. Now just need to settle on wheels.

Windows going to get tinted this week. Also made an appointment for Krown underbody spray.

Last edited:
I just booked an appointment at Adventure Motors KC for a Dobinsons IMS kit and Ironman UCAs. Now just need to settle on wheels.

Windows going to get tinted this week. Also made an appointment for Krown underbody spray.
And digging of the money pit has officially begone! Welcome to the club. :rofl:

A friend of mine is selling his Method MR701 with 285/70 Terra Grapplers. Think I could make them fit with a BMC before the lift?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom