New guy in Seattle area, just bought a 1998 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings,
My name Jamie and I just bought a 1998 Land Cruiser. I have been doing research for the past few months trying to figure out best year/model. A lot of the LC/LX I found were East Coast cars that had been recently imported to the West Coast. No offense to East Coasters, but I grew up in Buffalo NY....I don't like rust. Last week I found a two owner, very well maintained 216,000 98 and bought it. Black with tan guts...perfect. It is completely stock except for an upgraded stereo (I am good with that), chrome steps (that need to go) and crappy, peeling 18" rims with brand new tires. Just happens that my boss has a 2008 Tundra he put custom wheels on a few years ago and is selling me the stock rims cheap.
The first thing I did after buying it was swing by Home Depot and buy a can of Plasti Dip. That seems to be a right of passage to be a member here, so that is taken care of.
I do a lot of skiing/mountain climbing/hiking/backpacking/snowshoeing so this will be a daily driver with trailheads in mind. I would LOVE to do an expedition build up because that look really appeals to me, but in reality I would never use it like that. As a lifelong gear head, I have always wanted a Land Cruiser so I am excited to own this and I am equally as excited to have this forum as a resource!

So my initial questions
1. I had read a lot about "baselining" a truck when you first acquire it. I get it, but does anyone have a suggested list of things to do other than fluids?

2. The factory alarm is a bit wonky. I have to be standing almost next to the truck to have it lock/unlock. Thats probably the battery in the transmitter, but then every once in a while, it unlocks and when I open the door, the alarm goes off anyhow. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Jamie
full

Nice rig! Im a fan of those wheels, wish mine had them. As far as baselining the truck after fluids I tackled plugs, belts, and fuel filter. Clean throttle body, and replace (or clean) air filter. Heater T's are a popular one, if you don't replace them at least buy a set to keep on hand in the truck for when needed. If your truck came with any service records from the PO check and see what they have or have not done recently.

If you're interested in going back to stock running boards I'm in the area and have a set that you can have. Welcome to Mud.

Thanks for the welcome and offer! I might take you up on that. I really like the way the trucks look without them, but I have an 81 year old mother I cart around once in a while and she needs a step of some sort. Let me think about it and get back to you.

Nice rig! Im a fan of those wheels, wish mine had them. As far as baselining the truck after fluids I tackled plugs, belts, and fuel filter. Clean throttle body, and replace (or clean) air filter. Heater T's are a popular one, if you don't replace them at least buy a set to keep on hand in the truck for when needed. If your truck came with any service records from the PO check and see what they have or have not done recently.

I like the look of the wheels, but the chrome is peeling off and past experience with that tells me they will start leaking air soon.
Thanks for the info on the baseline. I did't get any records from the PO. I created an account on the Toyota Service website but the PO had it serviced at an independent for the last 12 years, so there isn't much there. I am creating a list and I just put the heater T's on it. Thanks for the tip!

Check on top of the engine cover or on one of the timing belt covers for a sticker indicating the timing belt has been changed at some point (hopefully every 100K). If you can't verify that, pull one of the covers (passenger side is easy) and inspect the belt. IF you have to replace the timing belt get the 'kit' and do the water pump, pulleys and tensioner as well.

A couple of small things folks often overlook: Look to see if you have a Jack, the tire lowering tool and a socket IF you have wheel locks.

Sometimes these things are missing and you don't want to find that out at the time you need to change a tire.

Your vehicle may or may not cabin air filters. If it does....your evaporator is probably pretty clean, if it does not...then take a peek in there and see if there is a bunch of debris in the bottom of the housing.

somewhere around here there's a baselining thread/list.... can't seem to locate it....
welcome to the PNW unofficial LC club!

Welcome to Mud. I'm just over in Newcastle with a 99 LC if you ever need a hand. I've done pretty much a baseline rebuild of my Cruiser at this point. Hint, don't replace your axles if the boots are leaking or torn.

Welcome to Mud. I'm just over in Newcastle with a 99 LC if you ever need a hand. I've done pretty much a baseline rebuild of my Cruiser at this point. Hint, don't replace your axles if the boots are leaking or torn.

Hey there, thanks for the offer! I finally got this thing up on a jack and both inboard axles boots are leaking. Steer clear of reman axles you say?

Congrats on the purchase! It sounds like we bought our Land Cruisers with the same things in mind - When I got my 99 in March of last year, I took the running boards off, put on a set of 285/75r16 BFG A/T KO2s, painted the grille black, plasti-dipped the wheels and called it a day.

I just had my shocks and front CVs replaced (long story). Everything I read said to definitely go OEM on the CVs. Between yours and @SurfSwitch 's comments, I can't tell if this is in your near future, but I did a ton of research for mine and found that Norwalk Toyota had the best OEM prices by at least 10% >> Order Parts for Your New or Used Toyota. I know getting acclimated to a new vehicle can be overwhelming, so I just wanted to share!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom