new gears, bad vibs and whine?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexasD90---
If you are willing to send the 3rd to me and cover return postage, I will check it out for free......if nothing substantial found then no labor charge. If I find something really wrong that could cause that noise on de-accel then a small labor charge happens. Could make for a good link on my webpage if I find something wrong.
PS----check your driveshaft phase....that could cause a noise.

I've found threads for the rear part of the transfer case but not rebuilding/ resealing the whole case. I have the fan but would love the link as well for the rebuild. And yes... I searched a lot.

Uhm, 80 series front shafts are out of phase from the factory and not in-phase.

FWIW, it is not uncommon for us to experience increased noise / vibration from lifted vehicles after they are re-geared. In most cases the noise/ vibration was there before the regear, but it increases after a regear. Deceleration is almost always in the drive shafts.

It sounds like you gear installed went above and beyond to make you happy re: the gear setup. Gear whine is totally different from the decel noises we get in the 80. It is always tricky to find since driving it with just one drive shaft at a time helps, but it it not always conclusive since the vehicle behaves different with just one shaft in 2WD vs AWD when the power goes to both shafts.

Last edited:
Uhm, 80 series front shafts are out of phase from the factory and not in-phase.

FWIW, it is not uncommon for us to experience increased noise / vibration from lifted vehicles after they are re-geared. In most cases the noise/ vibration was there before the regear, but it increases after a regear. Deceleration is almost always in the drive shafts.

It sounds like you gear installed went above and beyond to make you happy re: the gear setup. Gear whine is totally different from the decel noises we get in the 80. It is always tricky to find since driving it with just one drive shaft at a time helps, but it it not always conclusive since the vehicle behaves different with just one shaft in 2WD vs AWD when the power goes to both shafts.

Well, that's confusing now....I wonder what was Toyota thinking? I have actually mis-clocked a Sami rear driveshaft way back in 1994...it did some weird things with it 90 degrees off. When coasting to a stop at a light, it felt like the brakes were slightly engaged...it didn't actually roll to a stop...it felt like it stopped pre-maturely....like something was binding. Clocking it did fix that.
I just went outside and verified my 01 Taco was clocked and both were. The rear is a 3 piece driveshaft and all THREE C's were in-phase.

In my dealings, every truck reacts differently to lifts/regearing due to many unknown variables. I see one leave and another with the exact same mods and they are completely different. I can say that I have been noticing that these high milage 80's do benefit from a tcase rebuild. Especially when replacing just the FR/RR output bearings. I just recently went through my case completely while installing crawl gears and it was day and night. It is like glass and disgustingly quiet. We get so used to a gradual noise that it goes unnoticed, and once rebuilt we hear and feel the difference.
I am not saying that your diff rebuild is at all related to your case but the case was mentioned here. As for your regear, sight unseen is shooting in the dark. I have done many many regears and some make noise, some don't....most do not however. Quality of gear sets make a difference. Send it to Zuk or deal locally with it. It may just need to be looked at. Thread post guessing creates a only a check list of possible problems that are usually only the common ones. It may go deeper than a common one.

Well said, scotia.
The point about mods to one thing making something else, previously un-noticed, show up is valid as well.
It also sounds like your shop is doing everything it can.

They have fixed the rear pinion seal and now they are looking at the transfer case front bearing. I'm happy with the shop, it's just very frustrating when you are used to doing all your own work. Gears are just a little over my head...

OK, I need help. The transfer case was taken out and gone through. The exact words of the mechanic "it all looks brand new in there". The bearings and everything are perfect. He put it back together and reinstalled it. The noise is still there. While on the lift he removed the front drive shaft and the noise was still there (on the lift so the front end was not moving (should rule out anything in the front axle)). Then did the same thing in the rear and the noise was still there. Any ideas???? Could it be the planetary in the transmission? Or possibly the sealed clutch assembly in the transfer case?

I did a 4" lift, re-geared to 4.56's and put a part time kit in. I had bad vibes on deceleration. I had noise.
A double double cardan rear driveshaft fixed all my problems. It's not cheap. I also remember the
shop had to trim or beat metal out of the way around the front springs. (Bump stops, maybe) They were getting hung up and
contributing to the noise which was a grinding/growling sound. They thought it was the transfer case
at first....took it apart and it was fine....like yours.

Bart

image-3330727297.jpg

Last edited:
If I missed that part, then I'm sorry. I did not see it. I think you may have ruled out the driveshafts, not sure if you are still having a deceleration vibe problem or not. The grinding noise may be coming from your front suspension like I mentioned. When the LC idles it shakes a little, speed will only make it worse, and metal on metal will grind and it's hard to isolate where it's coming from sometimes. The noise was coming from my front suspension near the left front spring. I hope this helps and you find your answer soon. I know it's REALLY frustrating.

Bart

So a recap of what it's not:

Not driveshafts.

Not diffs nor any axle related issue.

Not TC output bearings.

Man, I'm, by far not qualified to diagnose any further than I've experienced.

My suggestion would be to contact Robbie Antonson (powderpig).

I have his contact info and could PM, if you'd like.

If I missed that part, then I'm sorry. I did not see it. I think you may have ruled out the driveshafts, not sure if you are still having a deceleration vibe problem or not. The grinding noise may be coming from your front suspension like I mentioned. When the LC idles it shakes a little, speed will only make it worse, and metal on metal will grind and it's hard to isolate where it's coming from sometimes. The noise was coming from my front suspension near the left front spring. I hope this helps and you find your answer soon. I know it's REALLY frustrating.

Bart

No worries. I really appreciate the input. I'm just stumped and frustrated!

OK, I need help. The transfer case was taken out and gone through. The exact words of the mechanic "it all looks brand new in there". The bearings and everything are perfect. He put it back together and reinstalled it. The noise is still there. While on the lift he removed the front drive shaft and the noise was still there (on the lift so the front end was not moving (should rule out anything in the front axle)). Then did the same thing in the rear and the noise was still there. Any ideas???? Could it be the planetary in the transmission? Or possibly the sealed clutch assembly in the transfer case?

Did you guys pull both drive shafts while on the lift? Mine has the same noise when atleast one drive shaft it hooked up and the vehice is moving, but once both shafts are removed it all goes away. My next try is going to be replacing the universals then the whole new shafts.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom