New FJ60 Owner Introduction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, first time Toyota owner here just picked up a 1984 FJ60 and am pretty excited.

I’m a desert racer and buggy guy at heart, so this is a departure from what we usually work on.

It’s in mechanically great shape, some body rust repair that isn’t the best but this is a driver not a show vehicle.

It already has 2.5” lift springs and the previous owner just did a bunch of good mechanical improvements.

Planning to fabricate a tubular front bumper with accommodations for lights and a winch.

Just got new tires on it 265/75R16 Yokohama X-AT. Time to get some time with it. Not planning any major crawling but we do live on 40 acres and are desert people.

9940EA28-63F1-4C5D-BF86-8671281EC5AB.jpeg

925ED894-072F-4AC5-A215-5E969BAFD008.jpeg

I know these are super underpowered but I’m trying to determine if I have an issue or it’s just that slow.

Going up decent hills where the speed limit is 55 I am forced down to 2nd gear and about 35mph max. This means I could never take it on the freeway where I live.

Runs smooth and feels strongish on flat ground but maybe I have a carburetor issue?

i know how you feel 🙂

I know these are super underpowered but I’m trying to determine if I have an issue or it’s just that slow.

Going up decent hills where the speed limit is 55 I am forced down to 2nd gear and about 35mph max. This means I could never take it on the freeway where I live.

Runs smooth and feels strongish on flat ground but maybe I have a carburetor issue?

Welcome to the world of the might 2F aka, Machito!

Check the carpet under the gas pedal and see if the factory stop bolt is still there. If it is, take it out, drive it, and report back.

Note: if you found this information useful, you are also welcome to hit the like button.😊

Last edited:
Check the carpet under the gas pedal and see if the factory stop bolt is still there. If it is, take it out, drive it, and report back.

Note: if you found this information useful, you are also welcome to hit the like button.😊
I will look for that stop bolt. I have been watching the Pin Head carb videos and am wondering if my secondary isn’t opening. Maybe a linkage or vacuum issue. Time to do the paper lip test.

Very cool trailer!

Very nice looking cruiser. I have a decent hill that puts me in the slow lane with the big rigs. I hit it doing 65 and hit the top at 40. Keeping the valves adjusted and timing adjusted helps. When I first got mine the valves were adjusted way tight, nearly zero lash. The timing was also on the wrong mark. Last one to tune it did not know what they were doing. This is also my first cruiser and I really like it. I did fuel inject it (TBI) and next mod is a five speed. It will be a daily driver.

Thanks all for the compliments, and on the trailer. We love it. We mainly use it for our prerunner buggy because it’s so wide.

77526019-6695-4B70-9D16-C7C8168BD114.jpeg

I did the paper clip test and both barrels are opening so I guess this is just the power level I need to expect.

ya no wonder it feels slow :rofl:

Since nobody has given you the official welcome...

Here your go:

:flipoff2:

Very nice looking rig.

Those tires are only about 4% smaller than a 33” tire. You might consider swapping the 4.11 diffs in from a 62. It would help you out on the hills and technical terrain.

Just chuck a turbo on it
I turbo ever 4x4 i get
seems to help 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom