New FJ40 Owner has questions-Please help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Newbie here.
I am the pending owner of a 77 FJ40.I have owned 4Runners and Tacomas,but,have never even sat in an FJ40.The FJ only needs a battery!I have a couple of questions.I only use a car for knocking around/second vehicle/work car.I drive less than 100 miles a week.I live in a small town,also,with not alot of traffic.Can I depend on this old girl as a dependable daily driver?
And,if anyone,can tell me what to expect out of life with the 40?
I am thrilled right now to own one,but,will it last?
These things look bullet proof to me.IF anyone can help me out with these questions,I would appreciate it!

well it truly depends on ithe condition of the cruiser. get a compression test done on the motor that should give you a good idea of the condition of the motor.

That has been done,and,it was strong.There is nothing but surface rust.No leaks.New weatherstripping.Good brakes,with new master cylinder.Everything works on it.It is missing the jump seats,but,he has a bench for it.I will have to add seat belts for the kiddies,though.

WES1977 said:
I would say it is risky to have a 29 year old dd right away after you just bought it.

this is true....till it proves it's self.

although after that?

i DD a '77 40 almost 300 miles a week...effortlessly...they'res plenty of others here that do the same as well.

shake it down alittle before you totally commit it to dd service.
once it passes it'll serve long and well.
but they're poor on gas at best.

daily driver

Bought my first cruiser 12 years ago when I was 19. Drove it around town wheeled it and did just routine maintance.Pulled the 2f out with over 200,00,Replaced it with chevy 350 just because the frame I replaced had the motor mounts all set up for it.But next one is I'm keeping the 2f.

77 is a great year, user friendly w/ 4 speed and disc brakes. I've been able to daily drive nearly every cruiser I've ever bought with very minor upgrades and repairs. No more miles than you will drive it, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Assuming the vehicle is safe in regards to tires, brakes, lighting, etc., begin with mechanicals first, leaving tires, wheels, lift, steering conversions, rust repair and the like till later. Forget most of what you knew from the runner and tacoma...you're in a heavy truck world now, and almost nothing is the same.

Oh yeah the ride is a bit on the bumpy side??? I always have at least one car or truck as a DD, that way I can play with my toys, bikes, trucks, whatever and don't have to worry about whether or not it will get me to work. i f it doesn't start another one will. Gas mileage in my 4runner is 20 at best. In your FJ you can expect a lot less, 12-14 maybe less. They were never know for being easy on gas.

I've seen posts here about how" I'm getting 20mpg" I just don't see it, maybe with an fairy overdrive, really tall smooth riding car tires, or a V8.
I would never sell a reliable DD car unless it's becoming a money pit. my .02

I use my '77 as a DD and absolutely love it. Apart from the lousy gas mileage everything is fine. I plan my trips carefully in order to make the most out of a trip into town. Welcome to Mud, I think you'll like this group a lot. Behind the membership are years and years of good advice for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom