New owner and vintage air heat question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

My name is Max and I am the proud new owner of a ‘77 fj40(pictured; likely a Columbia FJ since there’s NOTHING in place to add a heater). It’s in great shape and restored by the PO, but he’s in Florida where there’s not much need for heater…which is a little different than Chicagoland! So: my first project is to add a heater(seems like vintage air 506101 is the way to go?) so we can enjoy it year round (also doing fluid film to keep rust at bay).

Anyway, my question is: what additional parts beyond the vintage air kit do I need to purchase to install the heater? Do I need to purchase a heater core? Any hoses, gaskets, etc? I looked at the instruction manual for the vintage air (https://www.vintageair.com/instructions_pdf/506101.pdf) and it wasn’t very helpful, so hoping the experts on this forum can help so I can purchase the necessary parts to have by the time my fj40 arrives from Florida in the next week or so.

Thanks!!
Max
IMG_1586.jpeg

Where you just buying the heater or the full AC kit. If you get the full kit, comes with everything except the commections to the engine. For that you need a fitting for the cylinder head and a tee for the lower radiator hose.

IMG_9571.jpeg
I just completed this on my FJ45. I took all of my original heater system out and bought the Heater/AC system. Super happy and works well. Comes with pretty much everything. If you go with the AC/Heater combo you will need the compressor and all the ac lines, both of which you can buy as a kit from Vintage air.

I also bought the extra billet aluminum back lit controls from them as well. I didn’t like the plastic knobs that came with the unit.

Heater & AC - Kit has all you need based on what you tell you them for your configuration.

20230611_194112.jpg

Don't drive it year round. Salt eats these things very quickly. They were built to be cheap, nothing in the construction is conducive to draining.

Thanks all for the information and pictures of installs- if I can get mine looking as good I’ll be thrilled! To answer the question: I’m just going to get the heat(not AC), and it sounds like the best next step is to reach out to the vendor for all the necessary fittings. Thanks!

Thanks all for the information and pictures of installs- if I can get mine looking as good I’ll be thrilled! To answer the question: I’m just going to get the heat(not AC), and it sounds like the best next step is to reach out to the vendor for all the necessary fittings. Thanks!
If it’s only heat you’re after, I’d suggest installing original Toyota Landcruiser components from someone who has a parts truck. They would probably be more straightforward than making a hot rod heater work in your 40z

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom