New fan clutch oil replacement (red hub) - Update: swapped in stock green hub (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi, I'm doing better now with the green fan and 10,000 oil. Also no internal mods to the fan clutch. I was surprised on a less than one year old Toyota fan the original oil looked bad and dirty .It been hitting 109 temp here. Mike

Hi, I'm doing better now with the green fan and 10,000 oil. Also no internal mods to the fan clutch. I was surprised on a less than one year old Toyota fan the original oil looked bad and dirty .It been hitting 109 temp here. Mike

Mike, are you running the 049 or the 017?

I've got a newish 017 & am less than impressed.

EDIT: went back & reread & see you are running tha 049.

Last edited:
that's two steps backwards.
the oe 60 series dissy is regarded as top of the food chain for them.

and well, weber...
So I guess I should change them back? It's been driving great we with both.

The red clutch with 15K in it wasn’t cutting it. One trip less than a mile and it was already at 202*. Was only in the high 90s ambient. I yanked it today and put the 049 green hub in. I added 2 bottles of factory 10k after pulling roughly one bottle out. I used a small smear of grey permatex around the edge to hopefully prevent leakage.

Since when are two bottles $40? Sucks big time.

@evilorgoodtwin do you have any updates on the Green 049? Am haveing some overheating issues with my newly rebuilt 2f with a brand new AISIN 017 that I want to address. Thanks.

We’ve been pretty cool ambient temps lately but I have noticed it is running cooler, a lot cooler - 185-187* when it was in the 80s here, the last few weeks.

It maxed out at 202* when it was almost 100* ambient with ac this past week, but I only have one data point so far. The aftermarket gauge is located in the top coolant hose.

The stock gauge isn’t budging from 1/3, which is better.

Overall, it’s better, also louder with the fan clutch kicking in. I’m going to keep monitoring as the weather gets hotter to see what it ends up doing on a consistent basis.

Thanks @evilorgoodtwin, good info. Last night I ordered the green AISIN Ftc 049 from Rock Auto for $119. After install I will report back with my results also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom