New CSC member Shaelin (Desert Rat 77) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please welcome new member #474 Shaelin Lauderdale (@Desert Rat 77).

Shaelin owns a 1977 Toyota FJ55 that has not been modified.

Welcome to the club Shaelin. Please tell us more about yourself and what your plans are for the Land Cruiser. Post up some pictures as well.

Last edited:
Cool! The club could use some more 55s :cool:

:cheers:

I have always liked the piggys

Welcome aboard!

Thelma1.jpg
Thelma Tire Rims After.jpg
Thelma1.jpg
Thelma Tire Rims After.jpg
Please welcome new member #474 Shaelin Lauderdale (@Desert Rat 77).

Shaelin owns a 1977 Toyota FJ55 that has not been modified.

Welcome to the club Shaelin. Please tell us more about yourself and what your plans are for the Land Cruiser. Post up some pictures as well.

Hi All! Thanks so much for the warm welcome.

I purchased my FJ55 from it's second owner after I got out of the Army in 1992. A friend that I spent a lot of time toolie hopping with had an FJ62 called Louise, so my FJ55 was naturally nicknamed Thelma. This vehicle has never let me down. Many trips to Utah, and Nevada while working construction, and though the drive took a while at 55mph, we always made it.

It was parked for nearly 10 years and took a beating from the sun both inside and out. I retrieved her from my Mom's in early 2000's and invested in getting her running again. A leaking fuel pump and several other issues and she was parked for another 8 or 9 years but I could never part with her. Some friends helped get her started and my mechanic got her road worthy and through emissions. Also had a great deal of assistance from a CSC member who lives near me, and he did an amazing job of helping to bring her back to life.

The body needs a good deal of work as well as the interior, but after close to a year of being my daily driver, and getting a fairly long list of issues fixed as they failed, the engine seems pretty solid. Wiring has been an ongoing issue, but again, I get it fixed as I go. New rims were a challenge due to clearance issues, but that has be resolved as well. In short, she is a work in progress with a ways to go, but I'm all in for the long haul.

The town I grew up in was small but had probably a half dozen or so FJ40's due to one person getting one in the 70's and then everyone wanting one. I had the only '55' and that seems to be an ongoing theme. It's been a challenge getting parts. Still on the hunt for a radiator, reverse light lens, 'hold on' handle, and the list goes on...

Looking forward to being a part of this community. Have had a couple of mishaps trying to hit a meeting, but am planning on attending the one in August and am excited to meet some fellow Land Cruiser enthusiasts.

Posting a few picks, looks like they made it, plus a couple of duplicates, haha.

Thanks again!

Thlma Engine Before.jpg

Thelma Engine During.jpg

Thelma Engine After.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom