New BJ74, Some General Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up my '89 BJ74 :cheers: and had some general questions. Unlike my BJ70 which was in rough shape to start with, this BJ74 is in substantially better condition and I'd like to keep it that way as long as possible. It's not as "nice" as some of the trucks you see posted but I'm quite happy with it.

Anyways, on to some questions (don't laugh ;) ).

- What coolant type does the 13BT require? It's red but is there a specific name and is it usually a 50/50 mix?

- I've heard mention of a 3M spray for the frame that some use to coat it for some extra protection. Is there a name for it or part number perhaps?

- What brand of grease do you guys recommend for the chassis, driveshafts, various balljoints and knuckles? Can you use the same type for all the various lube points?

- Does anyone have a quick tutorial for operating the winch? The instructions are in Japanese and mine's..uhh...well...

- The truck has an altimeter as well as an outside/inside temp display. The altimeter works but the temp is intermitent. Where are the sensors for the temp located?

- My BJ70 has all the 4WD controls on the secondary stick, while the BJ74 has a 4H button. To operate it I just lock the hubs and hit the switch? When I want to go into 4L, turn the 4H button off and pull the lever into position?

That's all I can think of for now but I'm sure I'll think of more. :D

Congratulations on your BJ74 addition to the family! :beer:

Answers:

-Most likely the red coolant that you see in your BJ74's rad is the Toyota Red Long Life coolant. These are now available as a premixed jug from Toyota, but is called an Extra Long Life coolant. Rumor has it that the two are the same, except the older Long Life Toyota Red came in a more economical concentrated jug that you had to mix with water.

-The 3M product is called Rust Fighter. GregB is also using another product from Boeing called Boeshield. He seems to be very happy with that product.

-Some of those will call for a good moly grease. Others will require the regular stuff.

-If your winch is a mechanical (PTO) winch, then there's another thread in this forum that went into the operation of one. It's not that complicated, but seems like it with the extra lever and such.

-Often the altimeter and/or temp gauges don't work all that well anyway. Don't quite know where the sensor is located. What would I do if I had an altimeter pod on my dash with intermitent gauages? I would take those gauges out and replace them with a Pyrometer and a Boost Gauge. :D

-To put your t-case into 4 low, you just leave it in 4WD, put your shifter to Neutral, and put the t-case lever to 4LO.

Make use of the search function of this site...there's loads of information that I'm sure you would saok up like a dry sponge about your truck. :) I'm guessing that running your 12v accessories with your 24v electrical system is probably in your mind too. That's been discussed in this forum extensively also.

Again, congratulations!

its like a US spec fj62, with the hubs locked hit the button for 4 high, no need to turn the button off to go into low, just pull the lever. also when going from 4x2 into low 4, you don't need to press the button, just put it in low.

Canuck said:
- My BJ70 has all the 4WD controls on the secondary stick, while the BJ74 has a 4H button. To operate it I just lock the hubs and hit the switch? When I want to go into 4L, turn the 4H button off and pull the lever into position?

That's all I can think of for now but I'm sure I'll think of more. :D

Canuck, for your temp problem, i know the solution, take the circuit of the metter out, and resolder the big resistor, as this one has a tendency to heat up and desolder itself.

Best regards.

Max.

Thanks for the help so far guys. Does anyone know if the offset for the wheels on a BJ70 is the same as the BJ74? The BJ74 has 15" rims while my BJ70 has 16" and also better tires.

Canuck said:
Thanks for the help so far guys. Does anyone know if the offset for the wheels on a BJ70 is the same as the BJ74? The BJ74 has 15" rims while my BJ70 has 16" and also better tires.

Yup...the same. 3.75" JJ backspace is what my Toyota 16" steel wheels are, but I've been told that the actual spec is for 3.5" backspace. Go figure.

Another question (figured I'd ask in this thread instead of starting a new one). When I press the clutch pedal in and also release it, I get a squeeking noise coming from the tranny. It's definetly from the outside of the truck, not inside. I did a search and some 4Runner guys were talking about a clutch pedal bushing. Does that apply to us as well? The seal between the tranny and tranfer case was recently replaced if that info could help in the diagnosis.

My 70 series and 74 series have 3.25 BS but you are confirming that a 3.75 will work :)

Stone said:
Yup...the same. 3.75" JJ backspace is what my Toyota 16" steel wheels are, but I've been told that the actual spec is for 3.5" backspace. Go figure.

- The truck has an altimeter as well as an outside/inside temp display. The altimeter works but the temp is intermitent. Where are the sensors for the temp located?

The sensor for inside should be located on the factory roll bar (flat looking) brace that has the inside dome light on it. you will see a small white plastic thingie up there, that is the inside sensor for temp. The outside temp sensor is usually located on the right side up underneath the front bumper.

The switch is to put the truck in 4 wheel drive, however if you put the lever into 4 low first it will automatically activate the 4wheel drive. It does not mater if you have the switch on or not while you are in 4 low.

Cheers,

Michael

PTO- put transfer and shifter in neutral, push in clutch, push top and side button on pto lever simulaneously and pull back (might take a couple tries). When you let out the clutch you will hear the PTO running, simply use your gears to reel 'er in, reverse lets it out. I'm sure you figured ot the freewheel locking lever on the winch itself ;).

Squeaky clutch-
If it squeals louder as you depress the pedal, and then goes away when fully depressed, and is difficult to get into rev. or first gear, your throwout bearing may be on its way out. Mine has been doing this for about 50,000km now, and I haven't had any significant trouble, just annoying noise.

tlcruiserman said:
My 70 series and 74 series have 3.25 BS but you are confirming that a 3.75 will work :)

3.5" is stock. Up to 4" will work IF it is a 16" rim, however you lose 1" total track width.

hth's

gb

Chang-kuao-lo said:
Squeaky clutch-If it squeals louder as you depress the pedal, and then goes away when fully depressed, and is difficult to get into rev. or first gear, your throwout bearing may be on its way out. Mine has been doing this for about 50,000km now, and I haven't had any significant trouble, just annoying noise.

My squeak is at the ball that the pivot arm for the throwout bearing rests in. It must be dry as a bone in there. One day when I am feeling adventurous, have access to a hoist, I will bring my small mirror, penlight, pistol grip greasegun I intend to remove the clutch slave, pull the rubber boot off, and see if I can get a dab of grease in there...

Probably need 4 sets of hands and an extended eyeball to manage it...

gb

tlcruisermanThe switch is to put the truck in 4 wheel drive said:
I wonder how hard the mod would be to take away this feature. I love 2WD low...

gb

Greg_B said:
I wonder how hard the mod would be to take away this feature. I love 2WD low...

gb

It used to be real easy on the 40 series just modify or remove the limiting plate on transfer case lever. I think there is simply a sensor on the transfer case, you could probably put a swith in there to bypass it.

I do know that Toyota does not recomend running 2 low because it can blow out the transfer case under heavy load (or so I have been told) I have not seen anyone break a transfer case do to 2L.

cheers,

Michael

tlcruiserman said:
It used to be real easy on the 40 series just modify or remove the limiting plate on transfer case lever. I think there is simply a sensor on the transfer case, you could probably put a swith in there to bypass it.

Ya, I have that mod on Poo. You can do it on any none vacumn shifted t-case. Sounds like it would be a sensor that activates the VSV as you indicate.

tlcruiserman said:
I do know that Toyota does not recomend running 2 low because it can blow out the transfer case under heavy load (or so I have been told) I have not seen anyone break a transfer case do to 2L.Michael

That's a new one on me... Be easier on the t-case and entire drivetrain to be in 2low and turning tight corners when positioning then having to be in 4L (slickrock, rock gardens, etc) I would think.

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom