New BFG 285/75 16 KO2's installed with pix !! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks awesome!
For measuring speed, and knowing a ton of stuff about what goes on in your truck, these Scanguages are extremely handy. I keep one hooked up to my F150 at all times for obvious reasons.
http://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Aut...&sr=8-1&keywords=obd2+code+reader+speedometer

You can go the route noted above or you can get an OBD II Bluetooth dongle and the Torque app (Android, I believe there is one for Apple also). I purchased the dongle on Amazon for about $25.00 and the Torque app is $5.00. It will give you a TON of info (how much do you really need to know??) I just use the real time MPG, average MPG, volt meter, temperature gauge and speed. I have 35" BJG M/T's on my rig and I always know my speed down to the tenth of a MPH. It'll also give trip info too!

This thing really is "plug-n-play". I set it in the cradle and plug in my charger for longer drives. I use it literally every time I drive. I love it!:)
The OBD II plug is just under the dash above the gas pedal (on LC's), so it's real easy to get to and you can pull it out and use it on any other vehicle that has an OBD II plug.

Last edited:
Hey r2m, do u have a link to ur obd II blue tooth on Amazon?

What kind of MPG are you getting with these?

Just got these tires last week, big improvement over stock Michelins.

image.jpg

If you're talking to me, I'm averaging 12.6 MPG. Albeit, I don't have any armor on yet. When I start loading up with winch, bumpers, sliders, under carriage, rack and lights, that will take a huge hit on my MPG. It will be a :pig: going down the road.:steer:

You can go the route noted above or you can get an OBD II Bluetooth dongle and the Torque app (Android, I believe there is one for Apple also). I purchased the dongle on Amazon for about $25.00 and the Torque app is $5.00. It will give you a TON of info (how much do you really need to know??) I just use the real time MPG, average MPG, volt meter, temperature gauge and speed. I have 35" BJG M/T's on my rig and I always know my speed down to the tenth of a MPH. It'll also give trip info too!

This thing really is "plug-n-play". I set it in the cradle and plug in my charger for longer drives. I use it literally every time I drive. I love it!:)
The OBD II plug is just under the dash above the gas pedal (on LC's), so it's real easy to get to and you can pull it out and use it on any other vehicle that has an OBD II plug.

Now that's awesome. And way cheaper. Can you clear codes and service reminder lights etc with it?

I recently went the same route, but with the original KOs as my wife likes them (she's had them on her Taco etc), and since she bought me a brand new 3500 Cummins truck, I figured I should at least put what she likes on the 100! Next go round we may shuffle to the KO2s.

imagejpg2_zps45ea740f.jpg

Now that's awesome. And way cheaper. Can you clear codes and service reminder lights etc with it?
Sorry, it can't clear codes, but it will tell you what the code is, both the code number and the explanation so you know what the issue when you bring it in to the mechanic.

Sorry, it can't clear codes, but it will tell you what the code is, both the code number and the explanation so you know what the issue when you bring it in to the mechanic.
I wonder if another app could. Will have to look into it and report back. Love your signature quote btw.

^ Your speed and distances are generated via your phones GPS, so there is no need for tire size calculations for that.
But... for your gas mileage, you are able to modify that setting, which will be necessary if you have oversize tires.
The best thing to do is go through a full tank of fuel and calculate your real mileage using GPS to get your actual miles traveled and use that as a datum point for modifying the gas mileage entry in Torque.

Has anyone in the 100 crowd ran the Cooper Discoverer AT/3 that was rated editor's choice by OJ magazine? The review makes them sound like the best option out there. Just curious if the performance carries over to a heavier rig? They don't have great size selection, but the LT275/70R18 E could be a nice 33".

I'm on Cooper Discoverer AT/3 in last 50K miles (>80,000 km) - LT285/75R16 stock rim (measured with tape @ about 31.5"). Traveled around South East Asia with this brand. Transport for the missionary to the hill tribes, supported in the floods and bringing my dogs to beautiful beaches. Slightly over 60% wear at the moment. It ran quietly till about 20K miles and good on the wet. Highway grip is great, almost got stuck in the sand and gravels stuck between the threads. Wear rate pretty even on the early days but difficult to balance after a while and show signs of uneven wear. Lately, felt a little slippery when driving >70mph. Side wall is considerably better than many. Running over nails, screw, sharp object <1/64 inches (10mm) length could do no harm. Overall, I prefer the BF T/A KO on my 80 series and would like to get hold on the KO2.

I just completed a 260 mile trip from Rock Springs, WY to Idaho Falls, ID. I calculated 15.2 mpg (16 corrected, for tire size) averaging 65 mph. I'm running 285/75/16 KO2's at 46 psi on my 1999. The only other thing I've done worth mentioning is install a snorkel.

With the techstream or torque app are you able to change the tire size?

If it's possible on Techstream, I haven't found it yet.

On the Scangauge, it's a simple % adjustment.

I haven't used the torque app, but it appears someone has already answered that question above.

^ Refer to my post #23 about Torque app.

Just got the 285/75r16s installed in time for more winter snow.

Compared to the stock size Michelin m&s, these are much better on ice and packed snow, better in deep snow, firmer, and noticeably heavier. So far, in really impressed.
IMG_20150216_141214.jpg
IMG_20150216_141214.jpg
IMG_20150216_194922.jpg
IMG_20150216_194954.jpg

This is from the day I got them. The void space was bigger than i expected.
IMG_20150215_120605.jpg
IMG_20150215_120612.jpg
IMG_20150215_120636.jpg

There are times when photos make the tread pattern seem sort of "tame"..... And other times, when I see them I'm like "Yeah! That looks pretty aggressive!"

At this point I feel like I've got my tire selection narrowed down to either the Goodyear Duratrac, or the KO2.... I need the winter siping and ice performance, but I want a more aggressive look than the factory Michelin MTXs.

I also want low road noise, which is of course in direct opposition to what aggressive tread patterns deliver. How "bad" do these make highway driving? Do you think that a hundred pounds of Dynamat Extreme could quiet them down to "stock" levels??? That's the game I'm expecting to play once I buy new tires. :)

-G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom