New Badland Apex 12,000 lb. Winch (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good job @Brandon Ryder . I’m impressed with your installation. 👍🎯

I noticed it after I posted... it's the same price of $480 with the 20% or this offer with the coupon.

I bet if you show up at the store and show them the online price and a coupon, they'll give you a better deal.

I'll add my video of install now that I had a chance to use it once. It's just a light pull but it's my first time winching ever. I don't have much video editing ability. Just my phone so some shots are kinda long and others repetitive. Sorry but it gets the point across.

Last edited:
^^^
Success. Good job. 👍

Thanks so much for the video. I appreciate that your review and process are genuine and not overly polished! This is how most of us operate ;)

I have the same type of ARB bumper on my LX570 (200 series) and think if/when I get this winch I will access the clutch handle from the top with the hood open. I'll use the battery cutoff switch, so having the hood open already will be typical and not an extra step. I think the 200 series has a lot more space between the radiator and bumper based on what I can see in your video.

Thanks again for documenting your experience @Brandon Ryder

I'll add my video of install now that I had a chance to use it once. It's just a light pull but it's my first time winching ever. I don't have much video editing ability. Just my phone so some shots are kinda long and others repetitive. Sorry but it gets the point across.

we use the s*** out of all the HF winches and by use i mean we use them. They all just work, hands down. the only failure i rember the guys talking about was replaced by HF so no biggie. I picked up a 9000 on black friday and paid 229 so how can you go wrong

love um,

Are you trying to stir something up, or are you just not aware of design and patent infringements by the Chinese companies?

You are exactly right. Companies here play games with specs and act like they can control Chinese stuff. Reality is all drawings, specs, materials are hand fed to them and they enjoy the money from SAID company. Next, they take all the information and create the same rig , and do it cheaper as they control everything. So, to me it seems buying a Badlands winch is the same as Warn. Unless you are living in 1950 with the feeling "made in America" is possible. The Warn people already said what is happening. I give them that.

At this point it seems like buying a Warn is similar to buying a US made Zenith TV. We all know what happened there. TV companies recruited offshore, Japan, and the last company died in 1984. Now, Warn is still hanging on but since the intellectual properties are now China's, we all can afford 2 -3 winches instead of the USA price. (with a coupon as well). And has anyone ever heard of a lawsuit over China's infringement ???

For clarity, the WARN VR EVO winches are made in China. The rest of the WARN truck (and powersports) winches have a final point of assembly in Clackamas, OR USA. We use premium parts from around the world, and that includes the USA. Some parts of our winches (there are hundreds if you count each one) are made in-house, like our gears. Much like a car or truck, not all the parts are sourced from one country. I will say that we employ 400 American workers in Oregon, and some of our products, like the vast majority of our bumpers, are 100% made in the USA. Raw steel comes in, finished goods come out. I hope that clears it up.

Andy

So, Raw steel comes in. From where ? China ? I would like to see what 400 workers do. Do you have a machine shop ? How about a model /R&D shop ? To me made in China with certain specs is also subjective. Do you have a lab to test material that is specified? Do you have a lab to stress test the final product. I am not trying to put down Warn but I believe they were a USA patriotic company 50-60 years ago but today has followed all the rest.

My suggestion to Warn is to price these Chinese winches 10 % lower than Harbor freight and watch sales be competitive.

Being patriotic hurts our wallets.
We cannot afford to be patriotic. :D Too expensive.

Resting on their laurels will not get them too far. The competition is fierce. Holding on to high prices and history will get you very few new clients. One the old clients figure out were the patriotic winches are made, they will find another brand to adopt.

Being patriotic hurts our wallets.
We cannot afford to be patriotic. :D Too expensive.

Resting on their laurels will not get them too far. The competition is fierce. Holding on to high prices and history will get you very few new clients. One the old clients figure out were the patriotic winches are made, they will find another brand to adopt.

I do not believe this and never will. I have been around long enough to know that the "too expensive" statement is subjective. Board of directors, stockholders, management make HUGE amounts as a ratio to workers. It IS the reason China is now perceived as doing business here is to costly. It is sad. So, buying the Badlands is actually buying Warn. The difference is only that Warn is riding on an old namesake hoping the belief is that parts and quality are better in the USA.

Thanks! Just picked one up in store for $480 plus tax. The included synthetic line and wireless remote are already a $140 value. With all the winch's features it's a steal.

I'm selling the fairlead and hook if anyone is interested. Don't need em.
I can’t see the coupon code on this. Where on the coupon is it?

So, Raw steel comes in. From where ? China ?

I do not know this, nor am I sure which mine it comes from.

I would like to see what 400 workers do.

Gladly.

Do you have a machine shop ? How about a model /R&D shop ?

Yes and yes.

To me made in China with certain specs is also subjective. Do you have a lab to test material that is specified? Do you have a lab to stress test the final product.

Yes we have a test lab and a full time staff of several people who work in it. We do test everything to failure. We do an extreme amount of testing on every vehicle recovery product we offer.

I am not trying to put down Warn but I believe they were a USA patriotic company 50-60 years ago but today has followed all the rest.

My suggestion to Warn is to price these Chinese winches 10 % lower than Harbor freight and watch sales be competitive.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm sure our workers would disagree with you. In terms of price, we offer a premium product which is why we're more expensive than Harbor Freight.

I know we won't win everyone over and I'm not here to force our products on anyone. I know we're not the only game in town, but I will always make sure the facts are out there when people ask.

Andy

Bump

Well Mud how's you Badlands winch experience been?

I just ordered Delta vehicle system front bumper (great experience with them) and I'm looking for a winch to install I prefer not to buy anything made in China.

I'm assuming the Badlands harbor freight winch is made in China?

What are some good american-made options?

I do not know this, nor am I sure which mine it comes from.

Gladly.

Yes and yes.

Yes we have a test lab and a full time staff of several people who work in it. We do test everything to failure. We do an extreme amount of testing on every vehicle recovery product we offer.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm sure our workers would disagree with you. In terms of price, we offer a premium product which is why we're more expensive than Harbor Freight.

I know we won't win everyone over and I'm not here to force our products on anyone. I know we're not the only game in town, but I will always make sure the facts are out there when people ask.

Andy

What are Warns USA made options? The Delta VS bumper I ordered for my 1997 80 Series says it was designed to fit a Warn M8000 "style" size and others have fitted Warn VR-10s and the Badlands 12k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom